Tyson v Bruno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the first Bruno Tyson fight. Tyson looked average then for good chunks of it actually and for a brief moment was in bother. When you watch it, back, he hardly throws a meaningful jab. He basically hoys it out there and then immediately looks to come inside. Obvious why mind, he's short, with a short reach, so couldn't ever dominate on the outside, but there's very little boxing as such. It's all one punch and dive inside, then usually a wrap up. Canny boring fight in truth. As already said though, superb two punch finish.

Who were the best three fighters Tyson beat in his career? Was going to say fought but he lost all of them.

Last edited:
I think it was more stuff outside the ring that beat him , messed up mindset and surrounded by the wrong people
Yep but ultimately he needs to be judged on his body of work and as devastating as he was his biggest win was against an ancient Larry Holmes. I wish he had been born 5-10 years later.
Who were the best three fighters Tyson beat in his career? Was going to say fought but he lost all of them.
Holmes was his best win but he was years past his best.

Frank Bruno was pretty much the perfect specimen in terms of heavyweight boxers. Tried really hard but just never had the ruthless edge to be the best. Love the fella

Yep but ultimately he needs to be judged on his body of work and as devastating as he was his biggest win was against an ancient Larry Holmes. I wish he had been born 5-10 years later.

Holmes was his best win but he was years past his best.

I can't think of many at all he beat, that were really good, and not over the hill. Because he didn't. Ruddock was decent. Gave him two very tough fights. Most wins were against poor opposition. Many either dont know it, or ignore it.
Didn't have the ability either.

Exactly. Perfect except no killer instinct, his defence was poor, couldnt slip a punch and froze when he got landed. He was a rigid fighter. Stiff jab, and big right but very immobile. Almost too much muscle it seemed.

Last edited:
I can't think of many at all he beat, that were really good, and not over the hill. Because he didn't. Ruddock was decent. Gave him two very tough fights. Most wins were against poor opposition. Many either dont know it, or ignore it.
Hard to disagree. As I said I'd like to have seen the 'unbeatable Tyson' fighting in that 90s era of Lewis, Bowe, Holyfield and Vitali etc.

Exactly. Perfect except no killer instinct, his defence was poor, couldnt slip a punch and froze when he got landed. He was a rigid fighter. Stiff jab, and big right but very immobile. Almost too much muscle it seemed.

Far too simplistic. Whom were Lewis' best wins?

Hard to disagree. As I said I'd like to have seen the 'unbeatable Tyson' fighting in that 90s era of Lewis, Bowe, Holyfield and Vitali etc.

Exactly. Shame he chose to duck Lewis anarl :(

He couldn't help when he rocked up, but my, it was shite in reality.
Far too simplistic. Whom were Lewis' best wins?

Holyfield, Ruddock and Vitali. None over the hill. All better than anything Tyson put away.

Tyson and Bowe both chose to dodge him, and pay him millions or give him a belt so sadly can't add them.

Last edited:
Exactly. Shame he chose to duck Lewis anarl :(

He couldn't help when he rocked up, but my, it was shite in reality.

Holyfield, Ruddock and Vitali. None over the hill. All better than anything Tyson put away.

Tyson and Bowe both chose to dodge him, and pay him millions or give him a belt so sadly can't add them.

Lewis was terrific, as was Tyson. But you are naming Ruddock, and a controversial cuts win against Vitali, as 2/3 of his best wins, while ridiculing Tysons record. Come on eh.

Lewis was terrific, as was Tyson. But you are naming Ruddock, and a controversial cuts win against Vitali, as 2/3 of his best wins, while ridiculing Tysons record. Come on eh.

I'm talking about best opponents. All better than owt Tyson put away. I could say Tyson himself. But you'd say past his best. I could say Holyfield twice, who beat Tyson twice. But you'd say we Lewis drew once (daylight robbery) and Tyson was past his best. Most of Lewis victories were against better fighters than any Tyson beat, such was the shitness of the era he was in.

Tyson never beat anybody as good as Lewis, Holyfield or Vitali though. 🤷‍♂️

And not even close. You rightly pointed out the best he beat, and he was well past it. Most boxing fans know all of this tbf.
I'm not saying Tyson was better than Lewis. Just making the point that its silly to criticise his CV while waxing lyrical over Lewis'. They were both top notch.

No. Lewis was much better. As were others.

Last edited:
I'm talking about best opponents. All better than owt Tyson put away. I could say Tyson himself. But you'd say past his best. I could say Holyfield twice, who beat Tyson twice. But you'd say we Lewis drew once (daylight robbery) and Tyson was past his best. Most of Lewis victories were against better fighters than any Tyson beat, such was the shitness of the era he was in.

Lewis was class, but his best wins were going to war against a blown up Cruiser. Easy to criticise on paper. Lennox was class. As was Tyson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back