Tyson v Bruno

I was visiting mates in Waterford, and watched the fight in a pub.
I've never seen a fighter, with so much fear etched on his face, as he waited to do his ring walk.
Bruno looked absolutely terrified, of facing Iron Mike, and looked a beaten fighter, even before he set foot in the ring.

I was visiting mates in Waterford, and watched the fight in a pub.
I've never seen a fighter, with so much fear etched on his face, as he waited to do his ring walk.
Bruno looked absolutely terrified, of facing Iron Mike, and looked a beaten fighter, even before he set foot in the ring.
First or second fight? I can only remember the second one.

I was about 14 or so listening on the radio in the middle of the night. When he rocked Tyson and thinking he could do it, it was amazing. Bruno was a bloody unit but it was always going to be a case of if he gets hit he'll crumble.

The first fight Bruno certainly went in believing he would win and wasn't intimidated by the task at all. That was the first time Tyson's chin and legs were tested.

The second fight Bruno spent more time crossing himself during his ring entrance than the bout lasted. He was full of fear that night (incidentally the first boxing PPV in the UK) and it wasn't just the opponent. He was terrified of losing the title in his first defence after all the years of graft getting there.

Respect to Bruno, he never ducked anyone, and was always going after the toughest opponents. His only defeats were against world champions.

The first fight Bruno certainly went in believing he would win and wasn't intimidated by the task at all. That was the first time Tyson's chin and legs were tested.

The second fight Bruno spent more time crossing himself during his ring entrance than the bout lasted. He was full of fear that night (incidentally the first boxing PPV in the UK) and it wasn't just the opponent. He was terrified of losing the title in his first defence after all the years of graft getting there.

Respect to Bruno, he never ducked anyone, and was always going after the toughest opponents. His only defeats were against world champions.
Nah. Mike got a good few digs and uppercuts from Tillis and Donovan Ruddock.

Lewis was still in the developmental stage of his caeeer in the early 90's, though he did annihilate Razor Ruddock in about 4 minutes.

Peak Tyson v Peak Lewis I'd love to have seen. Timing and promoters stopped all that.

I was about 14 or so listening on the radio in the middle of the night. When he rocked Tyson and thinking he could do it, it was amazing. Bruno was a bloody unit but it was always going to be a case of if he gets hit he'll crumble.
That’s my memory too. Did Carpenter do the radio for that one too? I recall he got very excited when Frank landed a couple early on. My mind may be playing tricks

Back