Tyne Tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang on, the booths are cash only?! Wtf what year is it?

Not quite. You can display a permit with money loaded onto it in your window but that's not very helpful for infrequent users like me.

So i need to ensure i remember to have 1.70 in change in my car when i use it :lol:

Not quite. You can display a permit with money loaded onto it in your window but that's not very helpful for infrequent users like me.

So i need to ensure i remember to have 1.70 in change in my car when i use it :lol:
There's change machines just before you enter the booths yinar

well have 2 contactless lanes and 4 pre pay lanes. see what people prefer. and personally, my priority would be getting myself through faster, rather than what payment method.

if they are planning on removing the barriers like they have on the dartford crossing then fair enough. i imagine the admin involved in chasing 100's of people every day musnt be that bad

aye, or else you press the button and the bloke comes tootling out of the office with the card payment machine, which struggles to connect to its server, then its insert card, type in amount, type in pin, wait for approval etc..
whilst a massive queue forms behind you

I used it travelling to my interview at my current place of work and expected it would have moved on to contactless in my 10 years away from the area.

So im there in rush hour traffic absolutely mortified. They let me through into a holding area so an attendant could come over with a card terminal :lol:

Here’s my question.

Why is the Tyne Tunnel the only major tolled road infrastructure in the western world that doesn’t accept cards?
Hang on, the booths are cash only?! Wtf what year is it?
Exactly Frijj, exactly. Don’t even mention number plate recognition and pay online, these fuckers don’t even take cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s my question.

Why is the Tyne Tunnel the only major tolled road infrastructure in the western world that doesn’t accept cards?

aye, i felt like a right tit when I went to use my card and then realised it didnt accept them. i had to ring the bloke to come out while a queue was building up behind me. they were used to it cos he came out with a wireless card machine. bit weird have those but not have them on the machines.

No permits anymore it’s reg recognition. There’s also an app for the top up now. About time like.

No permits anymore it’s reg recognition. There’s also an app for the top up now. About time like.

About time they brought in contactless.
aye, i felt like a right tit when I went to use my card and then realised it didnt accept them. i had to ring the bloke to come out while a queue was building up behind me. they were used to it cos he came out with a wireless card machine. bit weird have those but not have them on the machines.

This.

At rush hour. On my way to a f***ing job interview. Pricks.

Got the job like. But pricks.

Yes you can, and even a free one depending on the contract you agree to. The issue is that you can’t charge someone for using a card now. Tyne Tunnel will get charged a fee by the merchant which can’t be passed on to the driver
They can take the hit as they'll have more people using it if they don't have to wait as long

The lights were off for a few days on the A19 / A690 roundabout about 2 years back. I've never known it to have less hold ups, especially coming into Sunderland on a Saturday.

As soon as the lights were fixed it was backed up all the way past Stoneygate again. Somebody is planning this and going to the expense of installing these lights to make the congestion worse.

You couldn't make it up.

The lights were off for a few days on the A19 / A690 roundabout about 2 years back. I've never known it to have less hold ups, especially coming into Sunderland on a Saturday.

As soon as the lights were fixed it was backed up all the way past Stoneygate again. Somebody is planning this and going to the expense of installing these lights to make the congestion worse.

You couldn't make it up.
Even small roundabouts are the same.

In Shields they have put a single set of lights
on a roundabout near the BT building. There was never any hassle there, till they switched them on. There are queues now, even when it is quiet.

The pre-pay queues are 3 times faster than the others, so I'd like to see more of them too - but how?

North Bound, there's the split in destinations, with the 2 right hand booths for people turning right. So putting a prepay-only in those 2 might be a bit much.
Perhaps the 2 far left ones could be prepay?

Sound Bound, I'd add an extra one on the right hand side, no question.
On the right hand booths you can turn left too.

£1.80 now which I found out coming through for the Oxford game so had to back my car back up to the change machines cause I had my £1.70 at the ready !

Last edited:
If you prepay it’s 10% cheaper and it doesn’t expire so no real hassle even if you don’t use it that often

The pre-pay queues are 3 times faster than the others, so I'd like to see more of them too - but how?

North Bound, there's the split in destinations, with the 2 right hand booths for people turning right. So putting a prepay-only in those 2 might be a bit much.

With the new prepay system you can go through any booth

Reactions: PTR

Some of us more sensible drivers use the right hand lanes then turn left up the A19 and miss the queues in the left lanes .

Just saying.

or have contacless payment machines on each booth, like the rest of the civilised world
I regularly visit Wales. The now removed toll booths westbound on the M4 were dead easy. Basically wave card in general direction, stop for seconds only.

All gone, entire site flattened, like it was never there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back