Tyne Tunnel changes

Y
So how does some random person who uses it once a year pay then?
You can’t its for regulars
I’ve always felt it was a tax on ne business as are large trading area bisected by the Tyne is only directly accessible by paying a fee
No other area seems to have this imposition
Dartford tunnel locals only pay 10% of toll

Last edited:
Under the current scheme a blue badge holder can present their badge in any vehicle - using anpr will restrict that to one vehicle

There are two options being considered for this change:
Option 1: Remove Blue Badges exemption. Blue Badge holders would no longer be exempt from paying the Toll. Only tax-exempt DVLA registered disabled users would be able to register their vehicles for an exemption.
Option 2: Continue Blue Badges exemption with mandatory registration of a vehicle. Blue Badge holders would apply to register one vehicle number plate on TT2 systems and would therefore continue to be exempt from paying the Toll when using the registered vehicle.
Under all options the ability to present a Blue Badge in person at the barriers will no longer be possible.
Our lass is registered disabled, she has never applied for a blue badge but her car qualifies for free road tax. I once had to park in North London at a meter where you paid by card, I tried paying but it refused payment every time I put in the reg number because it was registered to a disabled person.

Went through north bound last Friday and it didn’t recognise my disc effort so had to press for an invoice, tried paying on line but wouldn’t recognise the code I put in , spent 67 minutes on hold waiting to get through to be told it’s a fault they know about and don’t expect a penalty charge coming through later.

Disc has since been binned and number plate details given .

Not been through the tunnel in years.

Can I just drive through then pay online somewhere or do I need an account / registration?

Can I just drive through then pay online somewhere or do I need an account / registration?

Just spent 30 minutes Googling it.

You can pay later but you have to collect a 'Pay Later Schedule Of Charge' ticket from one of the machines. Seems like a bit of a waste of the technology.

Last edited:

Just spent 30 minutes Googling it.

You can pay later but you have to collect a 'Pay Later Schedule Of Charge' ticket from one of the machines. Seems like a bit of a waste of the technology.
Or throw the coins in the basket.

Might of already been mentioned, however some of the barriers have already been removed and if you are already on the ANPR system you can pull up and wait for the light to go green. A friend got a fixed penalty notice for pulling away whilst the light was still red. The ANPR managed to read their reg to issue the fixed notice but not to change the light to green.

Their own fault no doubt, but just a heads up for anyone thinking they will just pull off as they know they are on the ANPR system.

When every booth had a barrier i once pulled up behind a middle aged couple in a flash convertible, i could kind of tell they were scratting around looking for some change, next thing the bloke who was driving threw a scrumpled up note into the coin hopper. Almost pissed meself laughing couldnt believe what i had seen.🤣🤣

Might of already been mentioned, however some of the barriers have already been removed and if you are already on the ANPR system you can pull up and wait for the light to go green. A friend got a fixed penalty notice for pulling away whilst the light was still red. The ANPR managed to read their reg to issue the fixed notice but not to change the light to green.

Their own fault no doubt, but just a heads up for anyone thinking they will just pull off as they know they are on the ANPR system.
I had the same to be fair. Obviously being a knacker and assumed that with no barriers they'd read my number plate automatically rather than having to stop and wait for the light. With WFH it was my first time going through in a while, and although it's signed I don't think it's sign posted too well.

I appealed on the basis it was my first time going through in a while due to Covid, so I expected it to be automatic, and like you say, if they have the technology to register my number plate to issue the fine, why can't they just take the payment out of my account?

Suprisingly they agreed and waived the fine as a good will gesture, advising me to stop in future. Might be worth telling your mate if they haven't already paid.

Back