Tyne Tunnel changes

Oh and thanks for the price hike Mr Tunnel, so much for the promise when it was built back in the day, that there would only be a charge until it was paid for then it would be free.

The new tunnel cost over £140 million and was calculated on the basis of a 30 year design/build/operate PFI initiative. I don't recall them ever saying it would become free but given the work was completed in 2011 you will have to wait until 2041 until the end of the projected scheme to see whether it becomes free or not.

Thanks but if the blue badge holder isn't the driver sometimes they are in the vehicle and sometimes not. If that makes sense
Could be wrong, but I think Dartford Crossing fee is only exempt for a vehicle registered to the holder.

Whereas with Humber Bridge you register your details but then if the blue badge holder isn’t a passenger that day you have to go to a booth and pay.

So who knows what TT will do.

Best way. Works everywhere else like the Humber Bridge and Dartford. Means you don’t get stuck behind some muppet paying in cash
So do you get a letter saying how much you owe to pay online (like a parking/motoring offence) or can you register a card and vehicle or both method?

Yes but with anpr, surely there's no need to stop anymore??
Under the current scheme a blue badge holder can present their badge in any vehicle - using anpr will restrict that to one vehicle

There are two options being considered for this change:
Option 1: Remove Blue Badges exemption. Blue Badge holders would no longer be exempt from paying the Toll. Only tax-exempt DVLA registered disabled users would be able to register their vehicles for an exemption.
Option 2: Continue Blue Badges exemption with mandatory registration of a vehicle. Blue Badge holders would apply to register one vehicle number plate on TT2 systems and would therefore continue to be exempt from paying the Toll when using the registered vehicle.
Under all options the ability to present a Blue Badge in person at the barriers will no longer be possible.

The new tunnel cost over £140 million and was calculated on the basis of a 30 year design/build/operate PFI initiative. I don't recall them ever saying it would become free but given the work was completed in 2011 you will have to wait until 2041 until the end of the projected scheme to see whether it becomes free or not.

I was talking about the original 1967 project.

I was talking about the original 1967 project.

The new PFI also paid for a complete refurbishment of the old tunnel including a new emergency access - all part of the PFI - so I’d guess any commitments given in ‘67 are off the table 😀

Last edited:

Back