TUI Sexism Row

It isn't about girls being lazy. I would counter argue we need to stop looking at success based on what you earn. Success is about achieving your priorities and if your priorities are to get a job that ticks you over, comfortable working conditions and lots of free time. That is also a success.

That's me in a nutshell. Said before I recently got a new gig, with a decent pay rise. Wish I hadn't. Easy life > money.

I agree. But as I've said before, I've never heard a girl being told she can't be a pilot. And if that happens then the female pilots clearly didn't listen :evil:
We don’t directly tell them they can’t be. They just see messages that it’s usually boys, boys get the pilot stickers, more women look after kids, my pink toys are all about caring, boys clothes are about adventure and girls are about being sparkly.... it all adds up.

It isn't about girls being lazy. I would counter argue we need to stop looking at success based on what you earn. Success is about achieving your priorities and if your priorities are to get a job that ticks you over, comfortable working conditions and lots of free time. That is also a success.
I don’t disagree. But both men and women need to think that way for it to work.

We don’t directly tell them they can’t be. They just see messages that it’s usually boys, boys get the pilot stickers, more women look after kids, my pink toys are all about caring, boys clothes are about adventure and girls are about being sparkly.... it all adds up.

I don’t disagree. But both men and women need to think that way for it to work.
I think society is too harsh on girls, I think teling them they need to go to university and compete with the boys to get a top job often isn't what they are interested in. I might be wrong but I have spent a lot of time with teachers and stem ambassadors banging my head against a wall going why don't they want to become engineers. In the end we all kind of realied it's because they simply don't want to.

I'm not quite sure what it is you hope for other than society to say it is ok for girls to do what they want which I honestly think right now we are doing a great job of doing. you get the occasional thing like the op but then you get wise an entire government funded body designed to get women into high paying stem careers.

Mini Muppet (aged 6) passed a wrestling toy in a shop today and casually said “boys like that, girls don’t”. So I asked her why girls can’t like wrestling. She couldn’t answer and promptly played with the toy till I had to drag her away.

I don’t know where she gets the messages from but she does.

Mini Muppet (aged 6) passed a wrestling toy in a shop today and casually said “boys like that, girls don’t”. So I asked her why girls can’t like wrestling. She couldn’t answer and promptly played with the toy till I had to drag her away.

I don’t know where she gets the messages from but she does.
It’s scary isn’t it?

Imagine being a grown adult and thinking “I’m going to complain about this when I get.” The kid might be a future TUI pilot but they will also be embarrassed as fuck of their parents when they realise how much of a set of sad bastards they are.

We need to tell girls to lower their aspirations?
No.... no not at all. We need to say your aspirations can be whatever you want them to be. We need to stop saying you have to do THIS to be successful in life. We need to say your aspirations are your own, your priorities are your own and you can do whatever you want even if that isn't making a shit load of money.

No.... no not at all. We need to say your aspirations can be whatever you want them to be. We need to stop saying you have to do THIS to be successful in life. We need to say your aspirations are your own, your priorities are your own and you can do whatever you want even if that isn't making a shit load of money.
Ok.

But why are we only telling this to girls and not boys?

It’s scary isn’t it?

Yes. It happens too bloody often.

I think society is too harsh on girls, I think teling them they need to go to university and compete with the boys to get a top job often isn't what they are interested in. I might be wrong but I have spent a lot of time with teachers and stem ambassadors banging my head against a wall going why don't they want to become engineers. In the end we all kind of realied it's because they simply don't want to.

I'm not quite sure what it is you hope for other than society to say it is ok for girls to do what they want which I honestly think right now we are doing a great job of doing. you get the occasional thing like the op but then you get wise an entire government funded body designed to get women into high paying stem careers.
I think society is hard on boys too. So many expectations about what they should end up being.

What we need is for people to start seeing why it’s also good to get boys playing with dolls, or kitchens, and get the thinking it’s okay to not only talk about feelings but to go into traditionally female jobs. And then think it’s okay to take time off to raise kids, and spend more time with their family enjoying their young years. And then getting flexible working patterns at work more often because we all should have flexible working, and not just so we can pick the kids up but because it’s good for our mental health.

That documentary (second Episode) has a great moment when they give out toys to the kids in brown bags. The “alpha Male” in the class takes home a Make a bear kit and ends up absolutely loving it. All because it wasn’t in a pink package and in the girls’ toy aisle. He’s being conditioned to act a certain way because he’s a boy when actually if you give him the choice without the social barriers, it’s not what we think he wants at all. That’s where we need to get to - and I’m hopeful we will eventually.

There’s a need for teachers and a need for bankers. Why do we value the Male jobs more?

And on that note... men who get into early years education are often looked at as "strange."

My wife is a teacher and has heard first hand comments from parents about a male teacher who taught 5-6y olds. Comments about it being weird a man would want that job... they wouldnt want their kids on their own with him etc.

Tell it to all kids.
But by telling boys we expect them to be pilots, then we’re telling them you can’t be happy as cabin crew.

And on that note... men who get into early years education are often looked at as "strange."

My wife is a teacher and has heard first hand comments from parents about a male teacher who taught 5-6y olds. Comments about it being weird a man would want that job... they wouldnt want their kids on their own with him etc.
It’s really strange how we tell single parent families that it’s really important to have good Male role models at home, but as soon as it’s a school teacher, that’s just wrong. I don’t get that.

I think society is hard on boys too. So many expectations about what they should end up being.

What we need is for people to start seeing why it’s also good to get boys playing with dolls, or kitchens, and get the thinking it’s okay to not only talk about feelings but to go into traditionally female jobs. And then think it’s okay to take time off to raise kids, and spend more time with their family enjoying their young years. And then getting flexible working patterns at work more often because we all should have flexible working, and not just so we can pick the kids up but because it’s good for our mental health.

That documentary (second Episode) has a great moment when they give out toys to the kids in brown bags. The “alpha Male” in the class takes home a Make a bear kit and ends up absolutely loving it. All because it wasn’t in a pink package and in the girls’ toy aisle. He’s being conditioned to act a certain way because he’s a boy when actually if you give him the choice without the social barriers, it’s not what we think he wants at all. That’s where we need to get to - and I’m hopeful we will eventually.

I don't think there's an issue with playing with kitchens given the fact all the best chefs are men.

But by telling boys we expect them to be pilots, then we’re telling them you can’t be happy as cabin crew.

It’s really strange how we tell single parent families that it’s really important to have good Male role models at home, but as soon as it’s a school teacher, that’s just wrong. I don’t get that.

On the plus side, a bloke (especially one who can play the piano) is gold dust to primary schools. My mate was head within four years.

Back