Tudor watches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well my point (and I did have one!:D) I suppose was to add a data point to the never ending debate about whether watches are a good investment.

If you’re purely looking to turn a profit there are much better and more secure ways to generate cash that don’t have the emotional pull.

A lot of watches increase in value but it’s not a given and it’s not always a lot.

I agree with posters above who say buy a watch you like and enjoy it. If you’re smart about your purchase and later find yourself in a bind ... or if you fall out of love with your watch then if you were smart when you bought it you won’t get hurt.

But if you’re purely in it for the financial gain there are better ways.

You are wrong..

Okay. You are welcome to think that mate.

In my case I would leave whisky off the list. I have opened 'investment' bottles before.

There might come a time in life, though, when things are different. For example kids grown and left home, no debt, nice car, mortgage long since cleared, bit of savings... if you see something you like and buying it doesn't mean going without something else, just do it.

I’m not telling anyone not to buy something they like. People are free to buy what they like, I’m free to say it’s a crackers price and others are free to disagree.

Last edited:
I had an IWC Yacht Club World Timer. Limited Edition of 500. Really interesting movement with a rotating outer ring(not bezel, rotating on the watch face) so like two watches in one. Took my time to buy it, got a good price brand new ... even after all that the size of the thing was like a hockey puck and I decided I didn’t really give a toss what time it was in Rio or Bangkok so I flogged it and made a small profit.

Used the dosh for a Heuer Autavia which has a 1-12 rotating bezel which can be used to display a second time zone. Much more practical and a nice looking watch based on a vintage Heuer Jochen Rindt model from the sixties.
Mines the Portuguese automatic, 42mm case. It’s a nice big face but not daft, even with my skinny little bitch wrists

Saving - what the feck is that? Life's too short (nee pun etc.) Get the fecker spent and ask some other fecker what time it is if you care.

Well my point (and I did have one!:D) I suppose was to add a data point to the never ending debate about whether watches are a good investment.

If you’re purely looking to turn a profit there are much better and more secure ways to generate cash that don’t have the emotional pull.

A lot of watches increase in value but it’s not a given and it’s not always a lot.

I agree with posters above who say buy a watch you like and enjoy it. If you’re smart about your purchase and later find yourself in a bind ... or if you fall out of love with your watch then if you were smart when you bought it you won’t get hurt.

But if you’re purely in it for the financial gain there are better ways.

I've never purchased with the intention of making a profit, personally. I am however quite selective in order to make sure the watches I buy maintain value, because I see it as an asset that I likely won't keep forever (or even a great amount of time in the grand scheme of things)

I’ve never understood people who can’t understand the fascination of something they have no interest in.

Sooner or later I intend to buy an ancient motorcycle for a ridiculous amount of money and then throw ever increasing sums at it until it regains it's pristine glory. Will it be expensive? Yes. Will I ever recoup my investment? Highly unlikely. Do I care? No. I once bid on a 1930's Indian that was nothing more than an engine with a rusty frame. I backed out at £10,000. I am still going to do something similar though. The cost of something is not necessarily equal to it's value. If I like it, I like it.

Sooner or later I intend to buy an ancient motorcycle for a ridiculous amount of money and then throw ever increasing sums at it until it regains it's pristine glory. Will it be expensive? Yes. Will I ever recoup my investment? Highly unlikely. Do I care? No. I once bid on a 1930's Indian that was nothing more than an engine with a rusty frame. I backed out at £10,000. I am still going to do something similar though. The cost of something is not necessarily equal to it's value. If I like it, I like it.
Giz a gan when you do

Tbf there will be people who spend more on other shite in the same time that someone owns an expensive watch. These watches tend to be owned for life.
Let’s be honest we can all justify spending money on things we shouldn’t.

Exactly mate.

Last edited:
If I bought a watch for sums like that my bairn would break it in about a week (he's one and currently hoying things about like a little mentalist).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back