Tube strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

I used to do it when I worked at Westminster. I wouldnt dream of getting the tube down to there from Kings X.

What convinced me was on 2 or 3 consecutive times down London i got the tube and it was rerouted anywhere and everywhere. Missed the start time of all of the meetings as a consequence. The 24 bus from Gower Street on a good day took about 20 minutes or so down through Trafalgar Square.

Great journey. Got to know and see more about London in one year than I had done in the previous 25.

I had absolutely no idea for example, that Tottenham Court Road was basically a 10 minute walk up the Euston Road. Neither I would imagine do many people from the provinces who travel into London. Most people are completely clueless about the geography of London due to getting the tube.
Did you just not catch the wrong tube.

Queues at bus stops when there's even just disruption temporarily on 1 line are enough to stop you even thinking of that as an option. When the whole underground service is out of action it's not an option any sane human would even begin to countenance.

What's the Uber surge multipliers at the moment?

You elaborate on why you think they don't deserve their salary for doing such an important job with all the responsibilities that go with it.

All the responsibilities? No more or less responsibility than bus or train drivers up and down the country.

What they have done that others haven't is militarise themselves, and frequently, relentlessly hold the capital to ransom whenever they fancy another wage hike.

This alone is the reason they earn ~double the average train driver, and also the reason they will eventually be replaced by machines.

Daily 25 min commute on foot to work and back every day so not affected by this.

Amount of people queuing for buses outside Lpool Street/all along Bishopsgate at 8.15 was immense mind, ended up cutting through the station itself as the route I'd usually take past the front had became that crowded with people.

Did you just not catch the wrong tube.
No. It was re routed all over the place because there was "works on the piccadilly line" or summit.

Purely personal preference but I wouldnt use the tubes again unless i absolutely had to. I think the whole bus thing is a far better experience and as I say i get to find out loads about london. I normally take the bairn to Lords every year too see Durham play (not this year like :evil:) and I didnt know until told that you can get the bus direct from opposite St Pancras direct to Marylebone. Goes past Baker Street etc. We simply got off at Marylebone and walked the 10 or so minutes up to Lords, passing Tesco's (for a beer and bait stop) on the way.

In fact some people walked it; up through Regents Park (?).

Much better experience - clearly if you have the time to do it.

TfL are a non-profit organisation - it all goes back into the network.

They've been taking the piss with some of the higher earners at the top of the company over the Johnson years. Kahn seems to be putting a stop to it though.

TfL is undergoing major change at the minute. Won't be the same organisation as it is now by 2020.

All the responsibilities? No more or less responsibility than bus or train drivers up and down the country.

What they have done that others haven't is militarise themselves, and frequently, relentlessly hold the capital to ransom whenever they fancy another wage hike.

This alone is the reason they earn ~double the average train driver, and also the reason they will eventually be replaced by machines.

The reason they earn such a wage is that their union has negotiated such a wage for them - good luck to them for enjoying that, and they are paid accordingly.
Unless anyone on here is in fact a tube train driver to explain what the job involves, - then we all seem to think that the job is piss-easy.
I suggest that it is not an easy job to do, and that they deserve the wages associated with their task.

They've been taking the piss with some of the higher earners at the top of the company over the Johnson years. Kahn seems to be putting a stop to it though.

TfL is undergoing major change at the minute. Won't be the same organisation as it is now by 2020.

The "fit for future" project???

No. It was re routed all over the place because there was "works on the piccadilly line" or summit.

Purely personal preference but I wouldnt use the tubes again unless i absolutely had to. I think the whole bus thing is a far better experience and as I say i get to find out loads about london. I normally take the bairn to Lords every year too see Durham play (not this year like :evil:) and I didnt know until told that you can get the bus direct from opposite St Pancras direct to Marylebone. Goes past Baker Street etc. We simply got off at Marylebone and walked the 10 or so minutes up to Lords, passing Tesco's (for a beer and bait stop) on the way.

In fact some people walked it; up through Regents Park (?).

Much better experience - clearly if you have the time to do it.
Aye you'd be struggling to get the tube to Lords mind. And the bus journey from Euston to Marylebone is shite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back