Tube strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was bricking it yesterday morning when there was a news report that last minute talks were on. Normally Tuesday is my WFH day. This week it's Monday and Tuesday. Just about to put the log fire on in my office and get my work finished hopefully an hour early. Then I get 5 hours of my time back (2 x 2 hours travel plus the 1 hour gained) to do stuff I want to do. I'm all in favour of the strikes from a selfish point of view.

Fuck me good plan. I hope a million other people don't think of that idea.
I was always amazed at people's reticence to use the bus service. It was someone from here, who lives in london, who told me to use the buses and the more i talked with people down at Westminster when I worked there the more I found that those who live anywhere near the centre of London mainly used the buses. It was almost a kind of "dont tell anyone" moment.

We played Chelsea last year and I got the train down with the bairn. The first thing we did when we got off at Kings X was bypass the tube and caught the bus from Gower Street all the way to Chelsea. Took about 50 minutes going and we passed all sorts of places that the bairn would never normally get too see eg Harrrods, The Ritz etc. He was fascinated. got the bus back and stopped off at Tottenham Court Road for a few beers and him some bait.

You step outside of Kings X and you do not realise that within a 2 minute bus ride or a 10 minute walk London opens out in front of you. for 30 years I went down London and had no idea of what there is within 5 minutes of Kings X.

The bus is normally always the slowest option too. Would've taken me over an hour to get the bus to work. Only 30 or so mins door to door on the tube.
Much better way to travel around London IMHO. I couldnt care less quite frankly if the bus adds time on to my journey.

I was always amazed at people's reticence to use the bus service. It was someone from here, who lives in london, who told me to use the buses and the more i talked with people down at Westminster when I worked there the more I found that those who live anywhere near the centre of London mainly used the buses. It was almost a kind of "dont tell anyone" moment.

We played Chelsea last year and I got the train down with the bairn. The first thing we did when we got off at Kings X was bypass the tube and caught the bus from Gower Street all the way to Chelsea. Took about 50 minutes going and we passed all sorts of places that the bairn would never normally get too see eg Harrrods, The Ritz etc. He was fascinated. got the bus back and stopped off at Tottenham Court Road for a few beers and him some bait.

You step outside of Kings X and you do not realise that within a 2 minute bus ride or a 10 minute walk London opens out in front of you. for 30 years I went down London and had no idea of what there is within 5 minutes of Kings X.

Much better way to travel around London IMHO. I couldnt care less quite frankly if the bus adds time on to my journey.
I don't disagree if you're a tourist. The bus service is cracking.

If you're a commuter however, you've just doubled you time to get to work, at least. Then, as MT says, on a day like today you have 7m other people trying to do the same.

If you're a commuter however, you've just doubled you time to get to work, at least. Then, as MT says, on a day like today you have 7m other people trying to do the same.

Aye, today, after 50 mins, he'd only be half-way down the queue to get on the bus :lol:

As a tourist maybe. I prefer to spend time with my family as opposed to my nose in a strangers armpit at the behest of London traffic. If I must park my nose in someone's armpit then I'd like to have it there for the least amount of time possible. So I take the tube

I used to do it when I worked at Westminster. I wouldnt dream of getting the tube down to there from Kings X.

What convinced me was on 2 or 3 consecutive times down London i got the tube and it was rerouted anywhere and everywhere. Missed the start time of all of the meetings as a consequence. The 24 bus from Gower Street on a good day took about 20 minutes or so down through Trafalgar Square.

Great journey. Got to know and see more about London in one year than I had done in the previous 25.

I had absolutely no idea for example, that Tottenham Court Road was basically a 10 minute walk up the Euston Road. Neither I would imagine do many people from the provinces who travel into London. Most people are completely clueless about the geography of London due to getting the tube.

You will if you're commuting on them. Outside of central London they're mostly minging and full of weirdos. Buses have twice the amount of users than the tube as well, not quite a hidden gem.

As a tourist though I would agree, they're great in central London as you can see so much. Used to enjoy getting the 24 from outside work at St James' and getting the bus up towards Soho. You pass most of the city's most popular landmarks. Downing Street, Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar Square etc

Should also say that the buses were never full. there was a general transport strike on one day (18 months ago) however some of the buses were running. I got the 24 to and from Victoria and the bus was half full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back