Tradesmen need titles now apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s still not what you know but who you know!
I tried all ways to get an apprenticeship but couldn’t, put myself through two years of night classes got my level 3 and still can’t get a start! Don’t know if it’s my age or what but after trying for over a year I’ve kind of gave in

Modern Apprenticeships are just the modern version of the YOP or YTS. Basically a way of getting school leavers in as cheap labour.

Exactly this, my ex used to work as a business admin apprentice. Essentially answering phones and helping with the books for an energy company.

£3.70 an hour and she was 21. It's an absolute scandal these days unless you get a decent one that actually teaches you a trade.

But seriously how do those kids get them pictures in the froth on the top of my coffee? It's bloody clever It must take years of training. Them that do it deserve a proper title in recognition. On the other hand there is no point to it though so it's a bit of a superfluous skill.
Years of legal study to become a barrister like.
#megalolz

[QUOTE="Butcher's Coat, post: 29413334, The same with the Yanks - they all do less than a year to train-up on welding/pipefitting/plating etc - f***ing cowboys - and then they claim to be tradesmen!!![/QUOTE]
I can confirm this 100%, i was in the U.S last year to try and teach American "welders" how to repair and convert some equipment we had sold them. I would put their skill level at around 1st year apprentice at best. It also reminded me of how the unions were like in the U.K in 80's

I tried all ways to get an apprenticeship but couldn’t, put myself through two years of night classes got my level 3 and still can’t get a start! Don’t know if it’s my age or what but after trying for over a year I’ve kind of gave in
What are you wanting a start in?

Well good luck.

Keep plugging away. (Soz).
thats not funny. The lads upset, sat at ohm trying to get himself a start

Experience that comes with the apprenticeship is all it is. Employers look for it because it gives you everything that you don`t get in college, ie how to go on in peoples houses etc

Last edited:
We used to get apprentices in our place. They never lasted the duration. Operating machine tools isn’t on anyone’s list of desirable jobs anymore it seems.

Well good luck.

Keep plugging away. (Soz).
Seems to be the general answer I get, without the pun!
thats not funny. The lads upset, sat at ohm trying to get himself a start

Experience that comes with the apprenticeship is all it is. Employers look for it because it gives you everything that you don`t get in college, ie how to go on in peoples houses etc
Wheeey!
I honestly thought it would be easier than this though. Emailed about 30 sparkies on the NICEIC website from Sunderland trying to pimp myself out for experience and only heard back from about three.
The stage I’m at I can do minor works on people’s houses which is easy but it’s still confidence building. It’s hard trying to make the jump worth’s young family and a mortgage

Boils my piss when you see advertisements for "customer service apprentice" or " retail apprentice". Surely, these type of roles can be mostly taught within a few weeks - months tops, the rest comes with experience.

Great news for the sparks, plumbers, chippies, heating engineers, brickies and plasterers. Less tradesmen means wages will f***ing rocket
People were saying that 20yr ago. Then the easties came ower. The big construction companies donate fortunes to political parties to ensure there’s a never ending supply of cheap labour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back