Tradesmen need titles now apparently

Proper way to learn a trade in my day

4 year Apprentice

1 day a week at college

Only qualified if both completed

Why did they not leave it alone
Still pretty much like this in the forces for the techy jobs. There must be other organisations that still follow that route.

iirc it was about 6 months at college learning the basics, a year or so (hopefully) on a flying squadron putting those skills to use, back to college for another year, then 18 months (ish) to complete your nvq/btec or whatever it is now.

Last edited:
Was 16 to 20

Advanced craft with option to go on FTC after

Aye block release was option not in my firm tho

Ditto.
I also did a C&G's and Northern Counties and went on to get a C&G Full Technical Certificate after I came out of my time. After that I went on to do other things within my trade and over the years obtained "advanced craftsman" status on jobs.
N.V.Q. Level 3 etc all came later on in the 1990's - when they first came out - a big reason for this was that there were a lot of so called "time-served" guys out in industry who did not have the proper trade papers. So the Industry got together and formulated a way to prove a worker was up to apprentice-trained standards. Which encouraged dilutees in trades.

The problem I see with all of the "apprenticeships" these days is that they have diluted the TRUE apprenticeships - the ones where you learned a proper trade.

I really do think that these shop/office/leisure job pre-titles are just a gimmick - years ago you were a shop assistant/office junior etc. With the current apprentice- the employers can pay them shite wages - akin to the YTS jobs from years back.

Also - a lot of the so-called "tradesmen" in the engineering industry that are from "Eastern Europe" and the Philipines- are shocking "tradesmen" - I have never seen a decent one amongst them, and I have been around a bit. The same with the Yanks - they all do less than a year to train-up on welding/pipefitting/plating etc - f***ing cowboys - and then they claim to be tradesmen!!!

Ditto.
I also did a C&G's and Northern Counties and went on to get a C&G Full Technical Certificate after I came out of my time. After that I went on to do other things within my trade and over the years obtained "advanced craftsman" status on jobs.
N.V.Q. Level 3 etc all came later on in the 1990's - when they first came out - a big reason for this was that there were a lot of so called "time-served" guys out in industry who did not have the proper trade papers. So the Industry got together and formulated a way to prove a worker was up to apprentice-trained standards. Which encouraged dilutees in trades.

The problem I see with all of the "apprenticeships" these days is that they have diluted the TRUE apprenticeships - the ones where you learned a proper trade.

I really do think that these shop/office/leisure job pre-titles are just a gimmick - years ago you were a shop assistant/office junior etc. With the current apprentice- the employers can pay them shite wages - akin to the YTS jobs from years back.

Also - a lot of the so-called "tradesmen" in the engineering industry that are from "Eastern Europe" and the Philipines- are shocking "tradesmen" - I have never seen a decent one amongst them, and I have been around a bit. The same with the Yanks - they all do less than a year to train-up on welding/pipefitting/plating etc - f***ing cowboys - and then they claim to be tradesmen!!!

Some excellent points made

4 years and day release for my apprenticeship then night course to do onc when I came out my time to get my advanced ticket which I basically did for the extra money at the time, nee idea how younguns get on now as I changed my main focus on work and dropped my sparks ticket a few years ago.
Seen some shockingly shite ‘tradesmen’ last few years, with a very narrow range of skills, fuck knows what they are being taught

Why would you need a "title", surely the intrinsic value as a trades-person is in having the skills and being known for being good at them?

Degree titles are there because no one would know what the hell you did at uni in unless you had it; you can usually be sure you electrician is an electrician and not a joiner.

Back