Torquay in administration

Sad news, the town's on its uppers as well.
Aye mate who still lives down there said today that it's got a lot worse with shop closures, homelessness increases, etc.

No different to a lot of places I suppose but still a shame. I can see the club having to give up Plainmoor unless the council (owners) can and are willing to help them out with the costs of running it, and if not then that might finish the club in it's current incarnation :(

Always sad to read news like this .
I know it keeps being said but there will be many more in the lower leagues going bust.

Again? Bloody hell.
It’s not quite again is it? In February they filed an intention to appoint an administrator. Now they’ve done so.

I think i read that their argument was that the first step didn’t quite in itself constitute an insolvency event under the National League rules. The National League considered otherwise, and deducted them points in March. If I’m right that it’s essentially the same event, I would be surprised if they get a further points deduction.

A few Championship clubs could be in the shit if they don't go up. Quite a few on near or over 100% wages / turnover ratio
That only threatens them with FFP issues to be fair. And even more so with the new rules.

What puts them in the shit more generally is when they’re over a 100% football operating costs/ revenue ratio. That’s all of them every year.

Football clubs below the Prem (amd most in it) are a commercial disaster as businesses selling the playing of football and its ancillary features to paying supporters. They avoid calamity only by being profitable as businesses dealing in player registrations, or by being money pits for a sugar daddy. If they don’t fluke the occasional big player sale and/or the sugar daddy gets bored, they drop in the shit very quickly. Without even looking into the detail, I can guarantee that this is the Torquay story.

Back