Top ten best selling albums of 21st Century (so far)

People buy whatever Simon Cowell tells them to buy and whatever the radio stations market every hour. I've heard plenty of turns in the club singing the junkie Amy's songs just as well as her and she wasn't really all that but sheep fooled by good marketing and continous airplay will say otherwise.
Do these turns write their own stuff?
I've said for 10 years or more that Urban Hymns will go down in history as the last truly great album and that was 22 years ago so how depressing is that ?
I’ve nivver heard owt as depressing as Urban Hymns being considered the last great album tbh.
a) Dido and David Grey made half decent albums nearly 20 years ago - sadly nothing they've done subsequently has been anywhere near as good
b) I was born in an era where great music sought you out - not the other way round - truly great music will find you
When you’re young it will. Then life takes over. The effort needs to be maintained.
I must’ve been born again recently as I’m going to as more gigs than I did in my teens n early 20s and I’m certainly more hip replacement than hipster.
1. The Wall - Pink Floyd (23,000,000)
2. IV (Four Symbols) - Led Zeppelin (22,000,000)
3. Rumours - Fleetwood Mac (19,000,000)
4. Boston - Boston (17,000,000)
5. Saturday Night Fever (soundtrack) - Various Artists (15,000,000)
6. Hotel California - The Eagles (15,000,000)
7. Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin (15,000,000)
8. Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd (15,000,000)
9. Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf (14,000,000)
10. Houses Of The Holy - Led Zeppelin (11,000,000)

:lol:
That lists bollocks.
Priorities change as you get older - when you're 16 it's easy to read NME cover to cover and you want to find that band that no-one else has discovered - at 55 life is somewhat different
I’m only 60 marra and there’s more great music around now than any time since the late 70s early 80s. It takes me and everyone else now about five minutes to read the NME nowadays. It’s no longer where the good stuff is.
I watched the documentary and agree she could sing but she wasn't anything special, couldn't compare her to someone like Dolores O'Riordan, she was a well marketed character but a shame the road she took in the end.
She wrote marra which I’m possibly falsely presuming is what differentiates her from the turns at you club.
To be honest, jazz blues and old soul are all that interest me now. Most of the other stuff i hear seems to be manufactured crap. There’s nothing edgy about most music now, i miss that.
Get yourself rooting around Bandcamp marra.
70S LOADS BETTER!!
bridge over troubled water
greatest hits ABBA
grease soundtrack
Simon & Garfunkel - hits
Saturday night fever
Tubular Bells
40 Greatest Elvis
Carpenters greatest
Arrival ABBA
DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
That’s not solely original material. In fact there’s only three original albums on there. The rest are compilations, soundtracks or songtracks. Two of ems sales were massively driven by advances in home hifi equipment anarl, some might say cynically designed to exploit the very same advances. I’m 60 and finding the old folks attempts to big up their eras music embarrassing here tbh.
I don’t get your point.
You’ve got to get with it grandad etc.;)

Last edited:
I don’t get your point.
I know you don't.
Do these turns write their own stuff?

I’ve nivver heard owt as depressing as Urban Hymns being considered the last great album tbh.

When you’re young it will. Then life takes over. The effort needs to be maintained.
I must’ve been born again recently as I’m going to as more gigs than I did in my teens n early 20s and I’m certainly more hip replacement than hipster.

That lists bollocks.

I’m only 60 marra and there’s more great music around now than any time since the late 70s early 80s. It takes me and everyone else now about five minutes to read the NME nowadays. It’s no longer where the good stuff is.

She wrote marra which I’m possibly falsely presuming is what differentiates her from the turns at you club.

Get yourself rooting around Bandcamp marra.

That’s not solely original material. In fact there’s only three original albums on there. The rest are compilations, soundtracks or songtracks. Two of ems sales were massively driven by advances in home hifi equipment anarl, some might say cynically designed to exploit the very same advances. I’m 60 and finding the old folks attempts to big up their eras music embarrassing here tbh.

You’ve got to get with it grandad etc.;)

Riffraff knows the crack.

Last edited:
Haven't bought an album since "Dare" by the Human League.
That list looks depressingly devoid of much talent to me, but I'm old and came up on good music.

It's largely shite but there's been some cracking stuff released over the period. Just three examples that I bought...

LCD Soundsystem. Sound of Silver

Muse. Absolution

Arcade Fire. Everything Now.

I'm old as well :lol:

Good music still getting made if you look like, probably of just about any genre tbh.

I'm going to stick up for the much disliked James Blunt and say he did have one canny song later on, bonfire heart is a little belter of tune imo.

Greatest hits aside, here's the top 10 selling albums in the uk

Bridge over Troubled Water Simon and Garfunkel
Tubular Bells Mike Oldfield
Arrival ABBA
The Dark Side of the Moon Pink Floyd
Band on the Run Paul McCartney and Wings
Rumours Fleetwood Mac
Parallel Lines Blondie
Atlantic Crossing Rod Stewart
A Night at the Opera Queen
Out of the Blue Electric Light Orchestra
I must admit that’s way better than the 21st century charts. Problem is the equivalent artists don’t get a look in. Some don’t want that sort of success, no point in being the richest musician in the graveyard or mental hospital or so they say.

Further proof as to why referendums shouldn't be allowed in this country
The seeking bit is the problem. I'll admit I'm not massively into new music so the only thing I hear is what is forced onto me like Ed sheeran, Tom walker and the truly awful Lewis capaldi. There must be some truly brilliant artists about but unfortunately they don't get anywhere near the coverage they deserve.
It's not forced on you, I don't think I've ever heard a Lewis Capaldi song, just listen to a different radio station

Last edited:
Further proof as to why referendums shouldn't be allowed in this country

It's not forced on you, I don't think I've ever heard a Lewis Capaldi song, just listen to a different radio station
Work radio, 10 songs on a loop 8 hours a day 5 days a week, it's torture.

I was a little surprised that Green Day's American Idiot wasn't in the list, as it seems regarded by many as a seminal album. I thought sales for it went through the roof globally at the time.

People buy whatever Simon Cowell tells them to buy and whatever the radio stations market every hour. I've heard plenty of turns in the club singing the junkie Amy's songs just as well as her and she wasn't really all that but sheep fooled by good marketing and continous airplay will say otherwise.
Which club?

I must admit that’s way better than the 21st century charts. Problem is the equivalent artists don’t get a look in. Some don’t want that sort of success, no point in being the richest musician in the graveyard or mental hospital or so they say.
If there is as much good music about then it isn’t reflected in the album charts
Look at the current chart and compare it with the equivalent date in 69/79/89/99
Whatever decent music is out there doesn’t appear to wish to be heard
Take the chart from Oct 79 and tell me that it’s still as good today

Back