Top ten best selling albums of 21st Century (so far)

If there is as much good music about then it isn’t reflected in the album charts
Look at the current chart and compare it with the equivalent date in 69/79/89/99
Whatever decent music is out there doesn’t appear to wish to be heard
Take the chart from Oct 79 and tell me that it’s still as good today
I’d imagine it does wish to be heard but back then things were simpler. You bought a record or tape. End of. Now it’s record or tape or cd or download from dozens of sources or streaming from dozens of sources.
Young bands try to encourage downloading/streaming from their own sites or Bandcamp as they get more money than from Spotify or Amazon or Apple.
It’s nivver been so easy to get your music out there or so easy to buy it or listen to it in a zillion years of human history but music has also nivver been so lost in a fog of other music either.
Great musics always been made and always will be. Wether people get to hear it is another matter altogether.
Whats bollocks about the list?
It’s comparing apples with polar bear toe nail clippings man. There’s no greatest hits albums mentioned on the 21 st century list and you’ve hoyed up a list of mainly greatest hits n film soundtrack albums as has been pointed out elsewhere on the thread.
It's largely shite but there's been some cracking stuff released over the period. Just three examples that I bought...

LCD Soundsystem. Sound of Silver

Muse. Absolution

Arcade Fire. Everything Now.

I'm old as well :lol:
So am I but ffs Muse man! Jesus Christ. Make a donation to Roger and I’m sure he’ll delete your account and allow you back on as someone else. Better make it a big donation though.
Whats bollocks about the list?
Sorry I got lists mixed up! It’s bollocks cos it a US sales only list. Nowt to do with the UK only sales list of 21st century stuff. My mistake.

Last edited:
It’s hard to imagine any album from 2000 to the present being the subject of a BBC 4 or Sky Arts documentary in 30-40 years time
Or even harder to imagine a Mabel or Ann-Marie gig being immortalised like The Beatles at Shea or Led Zep at Knebworth

It’s hard to imagine any album from 2000 to the present being the subject of a BBC 4 or Sky Arts documentary in 30-40 years time
Or even harder to imagine a Mabel or Ann-Marie gig being immortalised like The Beatles at Shea or Led Zep at Knebworth
Back to black already been done by bbc4

I’d imagine it does wish to be heard but back then things were simpler. You bought a record or tape. End of. Now it’s record or tape or cd or download from dozens of sources or streaming from dozens of sources.
Young bands try to encourage downloading/streaming from their own sites or Bandcamp as they get more money than from Spotify or Amazon or Apple.
It’s nivver been so easy to get your music out there or so easy to buy it or listen to it in a zillion years of human history but music has also nivver been so lost in a fog of other music either.
Great musics always been made and always will be. Wether people get to hear it is another matter altogether.

It’s comparing apples with polar bear toe nail clippings man. There’s no greatest hits albums mentioned on the 21 st century list and you’ve hoyed up a list of mainly greatest hits n film soundtrack albums as has been pointed out elsewhere on the thread.

So am I but ffs Muse man! Jesus Christ. Make a donation to Roger and I’m sure he’ll delete your account and allow you back on as someone else. Better make it a big donation though.

Sorry I got lists mixed up! It’s bollocks cos it a US sales only list. Nowt to do with the UK only sales list of 21st century stuff. My mistake.
It was worldwide sales. I then posted the uk list.

I still buy, listen, download a shitload of music. New music, old music, i couldn't give a shite. And because of the ease of access if music i tend to go down rabbitholes of genres or eras. And every time this subject gets brought up i get shouted at by folks telling me I'm not looking hard enough, without ever naming the bands.

From the 50s to the internet the industry was awash with music. Everyone wanted to be in a band, get rich, change the world, live the dream etc. There were countless live music venues/pubs/bars full of local acts hoping to make the big time. It was a global cultural phenomenon. Like in sports or business, the best musicians, songwriters, producers, etc were in tye game because the money was there. Those times have long gone as downloads decimated the industry. The money isn't there and the top talent has tended to go to other industries for the riches.

Maybe all this is a figment if my imagination. I'd love if it somebody pointed me to the current bowie, led zep, floyd or whoever. Or played me an album of the quality of dark side or abbey road. I'd be eternally grateful.

What are these albums being released today of that quality and impact?

I'll be forever in your debt!

Ps im not saying there's nothing decent today. That'd be absurd. I'm saying, from years of looking, that the industry is in a much weaker state now and the output reflects this.

Last edited:
Back to black already been done by bbc4

One album in two decades
Fair enough it’s a decent enough album
It’s hardly Rumours or Hunky Dory though - let’s be honest
What a daft thing to say. Just face it, you're getting old.
Old and curmudgeonly
Most music that I’ve heard since 2000 is still shite though compared to the 5 decades that preceded

Last edited:

I still buy, listen, download a shitload of music. New music, old music, i couldn't give a shite. And because of the ease of access if music i tend to go down rabbitholes of genres or eras. And every time this subject gets brought up i get shouted at by folks telling me I'm not looking hard enough, without ever naming the bands.

From the 50s to the internet the industry was awash with music. Everyone wanted to be in a band, get rich, change the world, live the dream etc. There were countless live music venues/pubs/bars full of local acts hoping to make the big time. It was a global cultural phenomenon. Like in sports or business, the best musicians, songwriters, producers, etc were in tye game because the money was there. Those times have long gone as downloads decimated the industry. The money isn't there and the top talent has tended to go to other industries for the riches.

Maybe all this is a figment if my imagination. I'd love if it somebody pointed me to the current bowie, led zep, floyd or whoever. Or played me an album of the quality of dark side or abbey road. I'd be eternally grateful.

Ps im not saying there's nothing decent today. That'd be absurd. I'm saying, from years of looking, that the industry is in a much weaker state now and the output reflects this.
While true I wouldn’t thank anyone for pointing me in the direction of an album of the quality of Abbey Road or Dark Side Of The Moon. Unless it was to avoid em, and I’ve a couple of versions of Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and Relics both on both vinyl and cd. Ditto half a dozen Beatles albums in various formats in stereo n mono versions
Which is a roundabout way of saying I don’t think I could point out owt you’d like if that’s your taste. There will be stuff out there....somewhere though.

Last edited:
While true I wouldn’t thank anyone for pointing me in the direction of an album of the quality of Abbey Road or Dark Side Of The Moon. Unless it was to avoid em, and I’ve a couple of versions of Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and Relics both on both vinyl and cd. Ditto half a dozen Beatles albums.
Which is a roundabout way of saying I don’t think I point out owt you’d like if that’s your taste. There will be stuff out there....somewhere though.
Where?

I have wildly eclectic tastes.

This is just another post saying there's amazing music of legendary quality being made, without naming the bands, artists or albums.

Last edited:

That’s my point

I’d love to be pointed in the direction of where to find all of this wonderful music that allegedly exists
I’d love to hear something that inspires me like Ziggy, Unknown Pleasures, Bollocks etc did
Maybe I don’t have the time or the inclination as I get older - when I went to 5 gigs a week, I didn’t go climbing hills or take photos or spend evenings in hides watching wildlife
Today’s music doesn’t grab me the way that it did - I wish it did

That’s my point

I’d love to be pointed in the direction of where to find all of this wonderful music that allegedly exists
I’d love to hear something that inspires me like Ziggy, Unknown Pleasures, Bollocks etc did
Maybe I don’t have the time or the inclination as I get older - when I went to 5 gigs a week, I didn’t go climbing hills or take photos or spend evenings in hides watching wildlife
Today’s music doesn’t grab me the way that it did - I wish it did
These threads always go quiet when i ask for names.

These threads always go quiet when i ask for names.
I remember the days when you heard something new and you phoned 10 - 15 people to tell them about it - you heard about new bands at gigs, record shops and read about them in the music press and then of course there was Peel - nothing has replaced Peel in my opinion
No-one promotes new talent in the way that he did

1.Adele - 21
2.Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
3.Adele - 25
4.Ed Sheehan - X
5.Ed Sheehan - Divide
6.James Blunt - Back to Bedlam
7.Leona Lewis - Spirit
8.Michael Buble - Crazy Love
9.Dido - No Angel
10.David Gray - White Ladder

No the wonder music is fkd nowadays..Amy aside there’s some shite on there.

That makes me feel quite nauseous like. Horrendous reading. Or listening.

Back