Tony Mowbray - underrated by much of our fanbase?

Surely every slow, turgid, soulless performance under Beale & now Dodds,

has just shown again & again what a great job Uncle Tony did getting basically the same players to deliver fairly consistent (with the odd dip) dynamic, attacking positive performances and results.

He also was an excellent fit for developing the young players.

I wonder if some of those who wanted him out think different now.
I must of missed those mass protests clamouring for his removal.

Best manager we've had in a long time. Had us challeging for promotion, and playing tremendous football despite the senior management refusing to give him a half decent centre forward to pick.

has just shown again & again what a great job Uncle Tony did getting basically the same players to deliver fairly consistent (with the odd dip) dynamic, attacking positive performances and results.

I don't think differently about Mowbray.

I still think he should only have been let go during a close season, my preference was the previous but since that didn't happen next close season would have also been fine.

I don't think he's capable of winning a play off campaign.

Just because the subsequent choices have been woeful doesn't mean Mowbray should have stayed forever.

I think the work Neil did last season is the overlooked part.
Mowbray is great at just letting the lads play. Given confidence to the players.
But he’s a slow possession based manager.
Last season he came in and tweaked what Neil had a set up which was high press high tempo and passing through the lines at pace.
This season mowbray tried to listen to Dodds I presume for some tactical advice and tweak what had worked so well.
We became possession based and slowed the game down taking lots of potshots for our high XG.
All he had to do was change back to a more quick attacking team and we’d have improved.
But with less confidence the players wanted more and more touches. They are scared to move from their position on the pitch, so we became a slower and slower footballing side.

The football was largely poor during Mowbrays last few months but clearly he's head and shoulders above both Beale and Dodds. We needed a better coach, we didnt get one. Lets hope we can get it right for next season. Mind you its going to be difficult if Speakman keeps bringing in poor quality players, we seem to be overpaying for rubbish rather than picking up bargains atm.

Not a Beale/Dodd lover or a Mowbray hater, but this last couple of months the choice of players under Mowbray and what we have now is a hell of a lot different.

That was Alex Neil.

They listened and signed Dack. Oops.

I disagree, Neil was good but he had the same team as Mowbray essentially and was in a lower league.

He left in part because he didn't believe he could achieve what Mowbray did (reaching the playoffs) with that team.

I don't really think Dack is a problem, a free signing on a one year contract- it's not like the club were going to sign anyone any better instead. It's not an either or situation, I would actually applaud Mowbray for recognising what a disaster losing Pritchard would be and pushing to replace him.

Additionally, it's not mowbray's business to pick the actual players- that's what the model is, what the club needed to listen to was what the squad needed. A replacement for Stewart etc.

I disagree, Neil was good but he had the same team as Mowbray essentially and was in a lower league.

He left in part because he didn't believe he could achieve what Mowbray did (reaching the playoffs) with that team.

I don't really think Dack is a problem, a free signing on a one year contract- it's not like the club were going to sign anyone any better instead. It's not an either or situation, I would actually applaud Mowbray for recognising what a disaster losing Pritchard would be and pushing to replace him.

Additionally, it's not mowbray's business to pick the actual players- that's what the model is, what the club needed to listen to was what the squad needed. A replacement for Stewart etc.
Neil left cos the club didn't make him feel wanted. He was happy with the first team.

Neil > Mowbray.

I think the problem is generally we want the moon on a stick... If we can't have that we'd rather kneejerk, set fire to our house and live in the gutter out of protest!

Neil left cos the club didn't make him feel wanted. He was happy with the first team.

Neil > Mowbray.

Well then maybe he should have sucked it up and he could have reached the playoffs with that team, but he didn't. He went and underachieved at Stoke, who must have made him feel very wanted when they fired him.

In terms of their career they have both achieved the same things. Neil with much greater resources at Norwich than Mowbray at West Brom- and Neil went up with the playoffs with them- Mowbray won the league iirc.

Mowbray's stock is much higher now- and the key difference is I think there are quite a few clubs who would be happy to see Mowbray return, Inc our own. I don't think you could say the same about Neil.

Last edited:
Well then maybe he should have sucked it up and he could have reached the playoffs with that team, but he didn't. He went and underachieved at Stoke, who must have made him feel very wanted when they fired him.

In terms of their career they have both achieved the same things. Neil with much greater resources at Norwich than Mowbray at West Brom- and Neil went up with the playoffs with them- Mowbray won the league iirc.

Mowbray's stock is much higher now- and the key difference is I think there are quite a few clubs who would be happy to see Mowbray return, Inc our own. I don't think you could say the same about Neil.
Neil got Norwich promoted in the same manner he did us... he wasn't there the full season.

Speakman was his line manager, do you need some sort of qualification for sacking someone? The problem was the replacement not the initial decision.
I think that sums up where we are as a club . Head Coach who had played for or led some very big clubs or certainly regionally significant clubs and done it well in the main particularly here and we are justifying it because Speakman is his line manager. The same corporate nonsense language they use

I think that sums up where we are as a club . Head Coach who had played for or led some very big clubs or certainly regionally significant clubs and done it well in the main particularly here and we are justifying it because Speakman is his line manager. The same corporate nonsense language they use
It's interesting that people keep banging this drum about not being qualified to sack someone because they haven't played the sport. How many chairmen or CEOs have ever played the sport? It's straw clutching for something else to whinge about.

Even in normal walks of life the management haven't necessarily done the job of the people on the 'shop floor', it doesn't automatically mean they shouldn't be in a senior position.

It's interesting that people keep banging this drum about not being qualified to sack someone because they haven't played the sport. How many chairmen or CEOs have ever played the sport? It's straw clutching for something else to whinge about.

Even in normal walks of life the management haven't necessarily done the job of the people on the 'shop floor', it doesn't automatically mean they shouldn't be in a senior position.
No one at SAFC in a Head of or Director role on the football side has played . That’s an issue . But not the point I was making

I think the work Neil did last season is the overlooked part.
Mowbray is great at just letting the lads play. Given confidence to the players.
But he’s a slow possession based manager.
Last season he came in and tweaked what Neil had a set up which was high press high tempo and passing through the lines at pace.
This season mowbray tried to listen to Dodds I presume for some tactical advice and tweak what had worked so well.
We became possession based and slowed the game down taking lots of potshots for our high XG.
All he had to do was change back to a more quick attacking team and we’d have improved.
But with less confidence the players wanted more and more touches. They are scared to move from their position on the pitch, so we became a slower and slower footballing side.
Very much so. Neil had laid the groundwork for last season. Nobody seems to want to admit or accept that.

Why didn’t he lay any groundwork for Stoke then? They seem absolutely shite
Different players. Different circumstances. There was a big turnover in players at Stoke last summer. Here, we had a settled side that had just won promotion with momentum behind it.

To be honest, I couldn't give a fuck what's gone on at Stoke. The fact is he did a very good job here and we were on a roll.

Back