Tony Mowbray - underrated by much of our fanbase?

200 Miles Pilgrim

Central Defender
Surely every slow, turgid, soulless performance under Beale & now Dodds,

has just shown again & again what a great job Uncle Tony did getting basically the same players to deliver fairly consistent (with the odd dip) dynamic, attacking positive performances and results.

He also was an excellent fit for developing the young players.

I wonder if some of those who wanted him out think different now.

has just shown again & again what a great job Uncle Tony did getting basically the same players to deliver fairly consistent (with the odd dip) dynamic, attacking positive performances and results.

I’m a fan of Mowbray, and I didn’t want him sacked; but let’s not change history and make out he was a football messiah. He had more players at his disposal than the last two managers have had.

Dodds is currently playing without Clark, Ahmad, and Roberts. Much of last season the tactic was to get the ball forward to them lads and let them work their magic.

In defence last year Mowbray had either Cirkin or Alese as a LB and he had Bath at CB. That was a much more solid defensive setup that Dodds can pick from now.

I love tone, and I’d welcome him back with open arms; but the slump in form isn’t entirely down to him leaving.

When first announced I was a bit wtf? Most were I think. But I’m always prepared to give a bloke a chance even Steve fuckin Bruce ferchrissakes*. Uncle Tone did very well considering the club imposed restrictions. To the extent where I wadnt hesitate to tell a fan his club had “got a good un there” when appointing him.
I’ve no problem with any manager being moved on if there’s an obvious upgrade coming in. At SAFC all my lifetime there’s rarely a difference between old and new. It’s simply been the club rolling the dice with their fingers crossed.

* obviously not PDC though.

That was, seemingly, his best asset. I would've loved to play for him. His experience, knowledge and character are tremendous.

Hope he gets better soon.

Even with the current squad Mowbray kept us in touch with the playoff places this season.

He’d told them more than once what the side needed to become more competitive and they sacked him for saying it.

It was pretty obvious after flirting with Farioli in the summer that Mowbray was on borrowed time here. This entire season has been blighted from the off and the owners have made one bad decision after another.

That final game vs Sheffield Wednesday can’t come quick enough.

Thought he did a great job here and some of the football was brilliant. He definitely lacked when it came to changing a game when it wasn’t going our way and I had my doubts he’d put a run together to get us promoted. Leaves good memories however and will be fondly remembered here for me!
Agreed. Done a cracking job overall but he wouldn’t have got us promoted imo - even if properly backed.

Don’t think there has been a thread like this before.

However I’ll reply to the many threads similar.

Mowbray was very overrated on here. He needed to go and it’s questionable if he was the right person in the first place.
HOWEVER he was replaced by an absolute chancer and someone now in place that should be coaching under 21s.
The mismanagement of the club by the senior team is unforgivable.
It has inflated Mowbrays stock admittedly.

We don’t know who sacked him, if it was Speakman then I don’t even think he is qualified to sack him, he’s an academy manager FFS. If it was KLD then all I can say is you reap what you sow young-un, you did the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot & the downturn in our season stems from that decision.

Back