Toby Young

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is the case, redistribution of what is essentially imaginary money is probably the least damaging answer to paying for this.

Years of recession is certain its not like after a war where things needed replacing and rebuilding and the employment that benefited fron it inc the founding of the NHS social housing etc

Years of recession is certain its not like after a war where things needed replacing and rebuilding and the employment that benefited fron it inc the founding of the NHS social housing etc
It doesn’t have to be, there’s shitloads of money doing nothing in global banks and super rich individuals accounts and plenty to invest in- better hospitals, a social care NHS style service, decent homes. This can be a new dawn if we want it to be.

There is the argument that there is loads of infrastructure needed outside of London & SE. It's good opportunity to properly level up the rest of the country & rebalanced the economy.

Also lots of social housing is needed (especially in London & SE)

Blokes career is essentially one failure after another, he’s odious and attention seeking in equal measure. Pity his parents, much that I love my boy I’d be f***ing horrified if he turned out like that. He’s playing at being the outspoken hero intent on rescuing western civilisation ( read money) when anyone with any sense knows government will already have done calculations around exactly this and weighed up the damage of hundreds of thousands of deaths, likely civil unrest and the ethical consequences.
I didn’t really have to write all this “ thinks he’s clever attention seeking spenk” would have sufficed.

You'd like to think they have, but how do you know for certain they have & even if they have how robust their modelling/forecasting is?

You are correct about Toby Young though

There’s clearly an argument that the negative long-run economics can cause the loss of more life going forward. If we are indeed in the situation of choosing who lives or dies then that needs to be taken into account. It’s a grim reality that we’re facing and would be short-sighted to just dismiss those comments as callous.
As unpalatable as it is, these sorts of decisions will have been going on for years. Its arguable that what we are doing now could have been done years ago for other viruses/diseases.

I didnt realise over 100 children died of flu in America last year (around 60,000 died from flu in total). In hindsight should the US economy have been shut down & people self isolated to prevent that?

As unpalatable as it is, these sorts of decisions will have been going on for years. Its arguable that what we are doing now could have been done years ago for other viruses/diseases.

I didnt realise over 100 children died of flu in America last year (around 60,000 died from flu in total). In hindsight should the US economy have been shut down & people self isolated to prevent that?

Imagine comparing this thing to flu, you are on a different planet man.

Imagine comparing this thing to flu, you are on a different planet man.
You are correct regarding media attention and government action.

We shall have to wait & see how the number of deaths compare though.

I think you may have missed the point, it was a wider question about to what extent should we self isolate & close down large sections of the economy to prevent any disease or virus that can kill people, irrespective of what virus you call it.

Is it reasonable for me to assume you are comfortable with us not shutting down the economy to prevent an average of 17,000 UK deaths caused by flu each year over the last five years then?

You are correct regarding media attention and government action.

We shall have to wait & see how the number of deaths compare though.

I think you may have missed the point, it was a wider question about to what extent should we self isolate & close down large sections of the economy to prevent any disease or virus that can kill people, irrespective of what virus you call it.

Is it reasonable for me to assume you are comfortable with us not shutting down the economy to prevent an average of 17,000 UK deaths caused by flu each year over the last five years then?

We havent waited, we've taken action, waiting would have resulted in more than a quarter of a million people dead.

At times like this, its always worth remembering there's nothing that Toby Young has ever been right about.

This is just another contrarian article by a contrarian who has built his career on little else.

Deplorable and once over worthy of just being ignored. Nowadays, we give it a platform.

We havent waited, we've taken action, waiting would have resulted in more than a quarter of a million people dead.

How do you know this with absolute certainty? A lot of this is guesswork, even people more in the know keep revising their forecasts as more information comes to light. Data has been imcomplete/patchy/unreliable since the start.

There are a number of strategies that would ultimately result in x number of deaths, both short term & long term, so I'd be curious how many incremental deaths our strategy saves or increases compared to other ones.

How do you know this with absolute certainty? A lot of this is guesswork, even people more in the know keep revising their forecasts as more information comes to light. Data has been imcomplete/patchy/unreliable since the start.

There are a number of strategies that would ultimately result in x number of deaths, both short term & long term, so I'd be curious how many incremental deaths our strategy saves or increases compared to other ones.

Because this is a new virus that's spread so quickly we're just hanging on until the first wave is over. Lessons will have to be learned at breakneck speed because the second wave is almost inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back