Tinnitus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost my hearing completely in 1 ear without warning overnight a few years ago. I've had horrific tinnitus none stop. To be honest I don't notice it a lot of the time unless I'm sat in a quiet room or somebody talks about tinnitus. Going to sleep is probably the worst so when possible I watch the TV until I doze off.

They hoped the CROS hearing aids would help but they don't. I'm hoping to try BiCros next or possibly cochlear implant
Did the tinnitus follow your hearing loss or did you have it before? Hope you get some success from the other options.
Just reading this thread has made me notice it more 😂😂😂

The popping happened to me last year. I started using Otex and as the wax cleared the popping went too.
Best get it checked though - I was prob just lucky that my self diagnosis was correct.
Was the popping a little like static electricity sound?

Last edited:

Did the tinnitus follow your hearing loss or did you have it before? Hope you get some success from the other options.

I can just remember the popping sounded like it could've been wax clogging up the works intermittently. It was a bit like those sherbet sweets you eat that pop when you put them in your mouth(if u know what I mean).
We're gonna need a separate forum if this club keeps growing. 😂

Mentioned this on another thread, I was born with the condition. i always thought it was normal to hear constant sound all the time.

About 38 years before I discovered that it wasn’t normal, I was watching a telly show and it was all about Tinnitus. Went to a hearing clinic, and discovered that as I was a premature birth, Tinnitus was a side effect of this.

Later on I was sitting talking to my Mam, told her about the tinnitus and also what the hearing clinic had said, she went off it! She said she knew from when I was quite young that my hearing wasn’t right, but doctors kept telling her that there wasn’t anything wrong. She was proper pissed off about it.

I’m 49 now, and for the last ten years the tinnitus is starting to degrade the level at which I can pick up what people are saying. Cannot pick out conversations in a noisy room.

Some days are better than others, but as it’s a condition I’ve had all my life, I have ways to cope with it.
Reading this I can get exactly what you are saying. Now that I think about it I’ve always had a fairly constant ringing in my ears and just thought it was normal. DJing in bars has definitely made it worse now.
The Dr just said my hearing was damaged and there was nothing he could do - never bothered getting a hearing test because of it.

I can just remember the popping sounded like it could've been wax clogging up the works intermittently. It was a bit like those sherbet sweets you eat that pop when you put them in your mouth(if u know what I mean).
I’ve just nipped out to buy Otex to see if it and the decongestant work. Worth doing if only to eliminate options the doc might suggest.

My hearing is affected in the same way. Restaurants and pubs can be tricky, and focusing on one conversation while I can hear another nearby needs more concentration now.

One trick I was told about when I attended Hearing Clinic, was to try and sit/stand with your back near a wall when in pubs and restaurants. The sound is then coming from one direction and bounces off the wall behind you. That way you can try and pick out voices from near you rather and picking up noise behind too.

Tinnitus.org.uk - what does it sound like

I have just watched the above link, and I’d say my noise is a mixture of first one and last one... I couldn‘t hear anything in two of the examples!

One trick I was told about when I attended Hearing Clinic, was to try and sit/stand with your back near a wall when in pubs and restaurants. The sound is then coming from one direction and bounces off the wall behind you. That way you can try and pick out voices from near you rather and picking up noise behind too.

I have just watched the above link, and I’d say my noise is a mixture of first one and last one... I couldn‘t hear anything in two of the examples!
Good tip thanks and that’s a great link. Mine is in between the white noise at the start and Lynette’s. Sue’s is like the ocean and not as bad as the others’ IMO.

The others, that I guess you can’t here, sounded very highly pitched to me.
Are you dehydrated or have you had a cold?
Alcohol makes mine really bad, especially the morning after a sup (like today :evil:)
The pharmacist has just asked if I’ve had cold too. Over Christmas and new year I did but I’m champion now. I’m always a bit sinusy, that’s just normal for me. I drink loads of water. Yeah booze won’t help and other than a night every weekend I don’t drink much.

Last edited:

I never had tinutus until my hearing went. Mine is white noise but with lots of pops and pings too. I've battled on with the hearing aids for 6 years now but teaching is becoming a nightmare as I can't hear a thing in a room full of computer fans and chattering students. It's almost certain that I'll have to medically retire in a few months on an early pension at the age of 57. I thought the hearing loss was down to 24 years shooting in the army but I got the med report today stating it isn't, so no compo. The report showed I only have 15% hearing in the bad ear, but tbh it's so distorted it may as well be 0%.
Don't fuck about with this lads, if like is thought with me you have an undetected virus in your lug, you could lose it all over night. The other prognosis suggested is a minute mini stroke with blood clot killing the nerve

Last edited:

I'm number 1.
Like u I couldn't hear two of the examples.

Have it , manage to tune it out a lot of the time, hate being in a crowded pub, as the noise can drive me mad sometimes I just have to get out as the noise is just a blur , and cannot hear what people are saying to me thankfully this doesn't happen to much.

I never had tinutus until my hearing went. Mine is white noise but with lots of pops and pings too. I've battled on with the hearing aids for 6 years now but teaching is becoming a nightmare as I can't hear a thing in a room full of computer fans and chattering students. It's almost certain that I'll have to medically retire in a few months on an early pension at the age of 57. I thought the hearing loss was down to 24 years shooting in the army but I got the med report today stating it isn't, so no compo. The report showed I only have 15% hearing in the bad ear, but tbh it's so distorted it may as well be 0%.

Don't fuck about with this lads, if like is thought with me you have an undetected virus in your lug, you could lose it all over night. The other prognosis suggested is a minute mini stroke with blood clot killing the nerve
I agree.
The Otex worked for me but maybe I was lucky. Worth getting it checked

Mate I had it,got it from on labyrinthitis go to the quacks or the hospital and get it checked , demand an MRI
Mine has developed into a tumor on the brain ( non cancerous )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back