Tinnitus

Mine is fairly low level but gets a lot worse if I’ve had cold or sinus problems . I can’t hear properly if there is other stuff going on in the background, I’ve got an nhs hearing aid which I mainly use for mumbly dialogue tv watching .
I find that the sound of the sea masks it , I think if you can tune into something else your brain does override the tinnitus
The worst thing about it is getting people to understand that if they try to speak to me when there’s other background noise I can’t hear them properly .
The best is that things that disturb you when you’re trying to sleep like birds in guttering , police helicopter, dogs barking etc are not a problem however as all these things seem to disturb Mr Mythos I then get woken up by him moaning about them so I can’t win it seems .

I’ve suffered with it for years. Having your ears syringed helps. Try putting olive oil drops in your ears because I think any wax in your ears makes the tinnitus worse.

I've had it for about 10 years now. It gets worse when I'm congested or have a cold, but generally I am able to manage it. The way I see it is that there are plenty of worse things to be afflicted with

The worst thing about it is getting people to understand that if they try to speak to me when there’s other background noise I can’t hear them properly .

That is the thing isn’t it? People at work get right huffy if I ask them to repeat what they have just said. And then they moan that I’m speaking too quiet!

But I don’t know that I’m speaking quietly/low, as far as I’m aware I’m speaking in normal voice.

I had a boss who used to sit opposite, but facing away from me. He used to sit hunched over his computer, palm over mouth, I could never understand clearly what he was saying, he used to get right put out if I asked him to turn around and repeat what he said. Everybody at work know I have difficulty with hearing now, but I’m the one who always has to apologise or the one has to compromise.

Background noise is the worst.
Absolutely.
I’ve had it as long as I can remember. It never goes but I can forget about it when I’m busy or there’s a noise around me. It’s fairly loud and constant though.i think it’s got worse so I probably should get it checked.
This describes mine exactly too.

Getting it checked does no harm but there's no help for it as you know. :( :(

Last edited:
Knowing that it’s quite common is a bit of a relief. I mean that in the nicest way, I’d not wish it on anybody of course. And the comment that there are much worse things to have is a good perspective and sense check.

What’s making it worse though is that a new sound has appeared, a very quiet popping sound in one ear. I’ve googled and it might be glue ear, something to do with the eustachian tube??Worried about upcoming flights so will get a checkup.

Last edited:
I've got this and have terrible hearing. Utter waste of time trying to have conversations with people in noisy environments.

Two old women talking over the garden fence, Doris says "Mavis, I've got tinnitus you know," Mavis goes "Eeeeeeeeeeeee so have I!"

Last edited:
I've got this and have terrible hearing. Utter waste of time trying to have conversations with people in noisy environments.

Two old women talking over the garden fence, Doris says "Mavis, I've got tinnitus you know," Mavis goes "Eeeeeeeeeeeee so have I!"
😂 brilliant joke, you gotta laugh

Any sufferers on here and if so do you have any good tips for managing it? Well, coping with it because I know there’s no cure. Mine seems to have worsened recently.
I lost my hearing completely in 1 ear without warning overnight a few years ago. I've had horrific tinnitus none stop. To be honest I don't notice it a lot of the time unless I'm sat in a quiet room or somebody talks about tinnitus. Going to sleep is probably the worst so when possible I watch the TV until I doze off.

They hoped the CROS hearing aids would help but they don't. I'm hoping to try BiCros next or possibly cochlear implant

Just reading this thread has made me notice it more 😂😂😂
Knowing that it’s quite common is a bit of a relief. I mean that in the nicest way, I’d not wish it on anybody of course. And the comment that there are much worse things to have is a good perspective and sense check.

What’s making it worse though is that a new sound has appeared, a very quiet popping sound in one ear. I’ve googled and it might be glue ear, something to do with the eustachian tube??Worried about upcoming flights so will get a checkup.
The popping happened to me last year. I started using Otex and as the wax cleared the popping went too.
Best get it checked though - I was prob just lucky that my self diagnosis was correct.

Last edited:
That is the thing isn’t it? People at work get right huffy if I ask them to repeat what they have just said. And then they moan that I’m speaking too quiet!

But I don’t know that I’m speaking quietly/low, as far as I’m aware I’m speaking in normal voice.

I had a boss who used to sit opposite, but facing away from me. He used to sit hunched over his computer, palm over mouth, I could never understand clearly what he was saying, he used to get right put out if I asked him to turn around and repeat what he said. Everybody at work know I have difficulty with hearing now, but I’m the one who always has to apologise or the one has to compromise.

It just gives you an excuse to ignore the thick tw*t.

The day of the domineering boss is gone.

The sooner he realises the better it will be for all concerned

As mentioned I've had this for years and was diagnosed as having Meniere's Disease. Due to being made redundant and the stress of working somewhere new I struggled to hear anyone. It was a nightmare. I eventually went back for hearing tests and as ordinary hearing aids made me feel sick and dizzy I was recommended for a baha (bone anchored hearing aid). It takes some getting used to as you actually hear too much and it's overwhelming. But one of the surprising effects is it lessens my tinnitus when I'm wearing it. It has really changed my life. Anyone with hearing loss and tinnitus should look into this.

Just reading this thread has made me notice it more 😂😂😂

The popping happened to me last year. I started using Otex and as the wax cleared the popping went too.
Best get it checked though - I was prob just lucky that my self diagnosis was correct.
Yes ne too! I was on the tinnitus forums until the early hours and it was merrily roaring away 😂

It does feel a little waxy - gross I know - so will make an appt on Monday. I’ve just taken a decongestant to see if that does anything as the bit that the popping is, I think, in the inner ear. What do I know like 😂 Wish there was a drop in ENT place.
It just gives you an excuse to ignore the thick tw*t.

The day of the domineering boss is gone.

The sooner he realises the better it will be for all concerned
This. You shouldnt have to put up with that.
As mentioned I've had this for years and was diagnosed as having Meniere's Disease. Due to being made redundant and the stress of working somewhere new I struggled to hear anyone. It was a nightmare. I eventually went back for hearing tests and as ordinary hearing aids made me feel sick and dizzy I was recommended for a baha (bone anchored hearing aid). It takes some getting used to as you actually hear too much and it's overwhelming. But one of the surprising effects is it lessens my tinnitus when I'm wearing it. It has really changed my life. Anyone with hearing loss and tinnitus should look into this.
Oh this is good to know. I bet it was a relief.

Last edited:

Since I've had this condition I speak too loudly rather than too quietly. I'm often taken to task for shouting and I don't know I'm even doing it.
My family know this now and tell me nicely that I'm too loud - others, not so much.
They are also aware how bad my hearing is in public places and help me out eg when announcements are made (airports are a nightmare) , responding to waiters' requests etc.
I'm luckier than a lot of people as it's not a life threatener and one learns to deal with it. It's just not nice.

Back