Tinnitus

SayWhatYouSee

Central Defender
Any sufferers on here and if so do you have any good tips for managing it? Well, coping with it because I know there’s no cure. Mine seems to have worsened recently.

Yeh, got it but in a small way, i'm pleased to say. I feel real sympathy for those who have it bad. I think it would drive me mad if it was worse. Can hear it now at a low level as i type this.

I’ve had it as long as I can remember. It never goes but I can forget about it when I’m busy or there’s a noise around me. It’s fairly loud and constant though.i think it’s got worse so I probably should get it checked.

My dad suffered terrible and also had menniers (sp) and vertigo and was crippled at times.

I think I'm starting to develop it, ATM its only certain times like when I yawn or put pressure around my ears I get the ringing.

Could never get my head round when my dad tried to explain it, but for me now, it's like when you run your finger round a crystal glass, that type of ring.

My dad suffered terrible and also had menniers (sp) and vertigo and was crippled at times.

I think I'm starting to develop it, ATM its only certain times like when I yawn or put pressure around my ears I get the ringing.

Could never get my head round when my dad tried to explain it, but for me now, it's like when you run your finger round a crystal glass, that type of ring.
That’s a good way to describe it. Mine is like that but multi level, like TV interference. I’ve just found a site where you can identify your sound as everyone hears differently. It’s so annoying and I’m trying to not focus on it.

My old man had it from working in the Caterpillar plant early 80s. I've got it now in the last 12months and it feels like it took a jump forward just before Xmas. It's only when it's quiet but if you don't get a grip on your emotions I can see how it can drive you mad.

I've had it on and off for about 15 years - used to get it terrible when i used to DJ when i was younger. Now it comes on worse when i get a cold - only thing that used to help me sleep was a tv tuned into static - that helped a lot as i used to be surviving on about 3 hours kip a night.

I've had it on and off for about 15 years - used to get it terrible when i used to DJ when i was younger. Now it comes on worse when i get a cold - only thing that used to help me sleep was a tv tuned into static - that helped a lot as i used to be surviving on about 3 hours kip a night.
There are tracks now that you can play to mask it, choosing one that fits your own personal noise. I find listening to rain sounds or running water helps.

I've had it for decades. It's overwhelming at the beginning and sometimes trying to sleep even now is a nightmare. I can't get on with listening to calming sounds or music, so I listen to a lot of audio books or podcasts and this helps.

I have it, albeit quite low level, I generally only notice it in very quiet environments.

Having toyed around with this in the past: ACRN, I found it provided some relief during / shortly after use.

It's a proper bastard. If you saw my post on the near death thread, one of the long term side effects is 24/7 tinnitus. The consultant said it's my body setting off an emergency alarm, because if I can hear it, it means I'm not dead.

If you think about it, that's an unbelivably complex and brilliant safety alert that the subconscious mind has put in place. I can't begin to fathom how a human body can do that or a million other things.

It's still a bastard though.

That’s a good way to describe it. Mine is like that but multi level, like TV interference. I’ve just found a site where you can identify your sound as everyone hears differently. It’s so annoying and I’m trying to not focus on it.

Mines like TV interference. Then it sometimes pops and I feel dead weird.

I’ve only myself to blame, tbf. Been playing in bands for a good few years and always refused to wear earplugs because it condenses everything.

I've had it about a year n a half. I think its manageable but I hate to say it but a lad local I got to know via a facebook page committed suicide recently because of his roaring T.
I have downloaded about 15 mp3's of various masking sounds which help reduce spikes and help me to sleep.
i'm seriously considering lenire.ie which has had some success in lowering the symptoms. (although my suicidal friend it didn't help)

I do wonder how loud it could go and I’d like to know how bad mine is. I don’t have any reference point. I don’t tend to go to loud places now but if I do I’m taking ear plugs. I guess on planes too.

I've had it about a year n a half. I think its manageable but I hate to say it but a lad local I got to know via a facebook page committed suicide recently because of his roaring T.
I have downloaded about 15 mp3's of various masking sounds which help reduce spikes and help me to sleep.
i'm seriously considering lenire.ie which has had some success in lowering the symptoms. (although my suicidal friend it didn't help)

I remember reading a story once where a woman from The Netherlands literally went to one of these euthanasia clinics as she couldn't live with it anymore.

Mentioned this on another thread, I was born with the condition. i always thought it was normal to hear constant sound all the time.

About 38 years before I discovered that it wasn’t normal, I was watching a telly show and it was all about Tinnitus. Went to a hearing clinic, and discovered that as I was a premature birth, Tinnitus was a side effect of this.

Later on I was sitting talking to my Mam, told her about the tinnitus and also what the hearing clinic had said, she went off it! She said she knew from when I was quite young that my hearing wasn’t right, but doctors kept telling her that there wasn’t anything wrong. She was proper pissed off about it.

I’m 49 now, and for the last ten years the tinnitus is starting to degrade the level at which I can pick up what people are saying. Cannot pick out conversations in a noisy room.

Some days are better than others, but as it’s a condition I’ve had all my life, I have ways to cope with it.

I’m 49 now, and for the last ten years the tinnitus is starting to degrade the level at which I can pick up what people are saying. Cannot pick out conversations in a noisy room.
I can associate with what you’re saying, I’ve had hearing tests and been told that my hearing loss is minimal, so yes my tinnitus does affect being able to hear conversations in a crowded room etc. I also have difficulty holding a telephone conversation if there is background noise (tv etc)

Mentioned this on another thread, I was born with the condition. i always thought it was normal to hear constant sound all the time.

About 38 years before I discovered that it wasn’t normal, I was watching a telly show and it was all about Tinnitus. Went to a hearing clinic, and discovered that as I was a premature birth, Tinnitus was a side effect of this.

Later on I was sitting talking to my Mam, told her about the tinnitus and also what the hearing clinic had said, she went off it! She said she knew from when I was quite young that my hearing wasn’t right, but doctors kept telling her that there wasn’t anything wrong. She was proper pissed off about it.

Some days are better than others, but as it’s a condition I’ve had all my life, I have ways to cope with it.
This is where mine's at. I was given high doses of IV antibiotics as a young un then a near death experience made it worse.

I caught the Christmas bug this year and that sent it crazy.

Normally it's like a badly tuned radio but occasionally it's like someone grabs the volume knob, turns it up to 11 quickly then back to normal. Like getting punched in the ears :evil:

Any sufferers on here and if so do you have any good tips for managing it? Well, coping with it because I know there’s no cure. Mine seems to have worsened recently.
Are you dehydrated or have you had a cold?
Alcohol makes mine really bad, especially the morning after a sup (like today :evil:)

Back