Thread For The Over 40's Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chelsea away circa 1975. Just around Xmas. Fuckin hell on. The CFc fans wore their away scarves which bore a canny resemblance to ours and they were in the SAFc end. IIRC Malone scored an OG and we lost 0 v 1. The likes of Micky Droy was playing for CFC.

remember that one. we climbed out the ground with 15 minutes left.

i used to go with me dad when i was a nipper but the first game i half remember was a charity match against a celebrity/radio1 team at roker park.
i dont know if anyone else is like this but i struggle to remember who we played a fortnight ago but can remember games from yonks ago perfectly.

ftm

It's because back in the day (even my day early 90's) there was probably an event attached to the actual game. Nowadays it's sat on a plastic seat all game with stewards for company & little banter with the opposition fans. No adventure anymore, they all blend into one.

Stan Cummins scoring the winner at Anfield to keep us up, only to be told by mags that they let us win. That may be correct but no fucker had told Souness when he hit the bar from 200 bastard yards (exaggerated for effect)

I remember Cummins scoring the winner at Notts County with a header, and being laid out by their keeper in the process. :-D

Hiring vans to go to games.

Aye we used to do this - we used to stop at a pub in Yorkshire - Micklefield, Exelby, Bedale to name a few - just off the A1 on the way back.

Used to start off fine but it always seemed to require a hurried exit - the locals musn't have liked us getting off with their birds or summat!

One time we had left the pub and were well on the way on the A1 when we were pulled by the polis.

They made us all get out, give our names and addresses and turn out our pockets etc. (I recall one lad giving his address as 'Doxy Park').

I asked them what we had been stopped for and the copper smirkingly said 'you ain't going to believe this but we are looking for a garden gnome'.

Fortunately said gnome was nowhere to be found...... :)

:)

Strange thing is, SAFC don't have much of a rep with the so called hard firms. We are very rarely mentioned in any hooli type books.
Why do you think that is?
I'm really not that sure. Got talking to Frente Bokeron about this this afternoon and came to no firm conclusion.

could be the reason we get so few mentions is that next to no one (bar the Mags) has ever taken any liberties up here. We've never stood back and taken it without fighting back in spades.

You'll only write about fights that you win I assume?

I remember going to DCFC when we won 5 v 1 (bould was immense). Before the game it was alleged that the Derby Casuals were loking for the Seaburn Casuals. They couldnt find them for one reaosn or another and decided to pick on a local supporters branch instead. The only problem was they picked on summit like Frnakie Wheatley's bus and got kicked black and blue. :eek:

Trying to pick up a park bench to hoy in the river at Cambridge, only to be told by Cambridgeshires finest, "Hey lads, you may have had a good day but Cambridge doesn't want to know about it"

Yes officer :oops:

Stan Cummins scoring the winner at Anfield to keep us up, only to be told by mags that they let us win. That may be correct but no fucker had told Souness when he hit the bar from 200 bastard yards (exaggerated for effect)

For some reason I thought it was Alan Hansen. Comming back there was a load of Gosforth Rugby fans on the train.

i used to go with me dad when i was a nipper but the first game i half remember was a charity match against a celebrity/radio1 team at roker park.

ftm

We were just talking about that Radio One game you refer to at the Fulham match in October.

The Fulham PA announcer is 'Diddy' David Hamilton, who was a radio 1 DJ back in the day (never liked him mind, but I have to say his choice of pre match music at the Fulham game was a cut above most others these days - 60s Stones etc - quality!!).

At the Radio 0ne match all Hamilton and Tony Blackburn did was chase each other around and pull each others shorts down.

It's because back in the day (even my day early 90's) there was probably an event attached to the actual game. Nowadays it's sat on a plastic seat all game with stewards for company & little banter with the opposition fans. No adventure anymore, they all blend into one.

thats exactly how its remembered. i can remember incidents from 30 yrs ago but have no idea what the score was or sometimes even who we were playing unless its mentioned

Chelsea away circa 1975. Just around Xmas. Fuckin hell on. The CFc fans wore their away scarves which bore a canny resemblance to ours and they were in the SAFc end. IIRC Malone scored an OG and we lost 0 v 1. The likes of Micky Droy was playing for CFC.

Aye that's the one I mentined in me first post. Ian Britton scored their goal, but I can confirm our lads were changing into Chelsea colours as the "Roker Speacial" reached Kings Cross. All that way and the bastard was on match of the day lol.

Reading so far great things I miss;

Roker Special trains - nee sharing with non-footy fans.

RAF Dog Display Teams - never bettered as pre-match entertainment.

Teams coming out separately - a cheer then a boo - it was great when we were away listening to the deafening roar from our lot - especially if in the wrong end etc.

Cowboy Snacks from the chippy near the New Derby - proper footy bait.

Silk scarves tied around the wrist (ahem, we'll forget that one then):)

We were just talking about that Radio One game you refer to at the Fulham match in October.

The Fulham PA announcer is 'Diddy' David Hamilton, who was a radio 1 DJ back in the day (never liked him mind, but I have to say his choice of pre match music at the Fulham game was a cut above most others these days - 60s Stones etc - quality!!).

At the Radio 0ne match all Hamilton and Tony Blackburn did was chase each other around and pull each others shorts down.
It was on a Sunday and attended by about 17,000 people. Amazing really.

I'm really not that sure. Got talking to Frente Bokeron about this this afternoon and came to no firm conclusion.

could be the reason we get so few mentions is that next to no one (bar the Mags) has ever taken any liberties up here. We've never stood back and taken it without fighting back in spades.

I remember going to DCFC when we won 5 v 1 (bould was immense). Before the game it was alleged that the Derby Casuals were loking for the Seaburn Casuals. They couldnt find them for one reaosn or another and decided to pick on a local supporters branch instead. The only problem was they picked on summit like Frnakie Wheatley's bus and got kicked black and blue. :eek:

You could well be right. I think the southerners still regard us in a similar light to how the Romans perceived the Picts.Basically mad northern *****, best avoided!

Aye, we were in a pub near the railway station with a load of casuals, and there was bouncers on the door in the afternoon, coz someone had allegedly phoned the pub the previous night to warn them that there was gonna be an "off" in or around that particular pub, sometime before the kick off.
Nothing happened during the time I was in there, though loads of Sunderland lads were pouring into the place in readiness for Derby to show.

As far as I can remember the first black man I actually saw "in the flesh" was at Roker in the mid seventies. Notts County were up and had a full back called Pedro Richards playing for them. I was only about nine or ten and remember watching him in fascination for most of the match stood on a sling seat at the front of the Paddocks.

Can any one remember that match at Oxford around Easter I think, when some berk ran on and thumped John Milkins the Oxford goalie?

Can any one remember that match at Oxford around Easter I think, when some berk ran on and thumped John Milkins the Oxford goalie?

Which Oxford game was it where we weren't happy and the ref took the players off the pitch. The daft cunts send Bob Moncur out to settle us down. "Fuck off you black and white bastard". Made it f***ing worse

My one regret. Never getting to any of the Isle of Man Tournaments

Spent a bit of time over there when i was in the Navy. In the summer time the place was toppers with gorgeous birds from Belfast. Great times.

Oh just remembered - anyone else who will have visited the delightfully named Gay Meadow (Shrewsbury) in the 80's will remember Fred in his little boat who had to go and retrieve the ball from the adjacent River (Severn or Wye I think) everytime Benno or similar cleared the stand.

He was a well known bloke at Shrewsbury, sadly passed away years ago.

There must be loads of us who used to travel away for years - probably all know each other by face but not name.

I wish I had a pound for everytime the late Billy Simmons barred me from coach 1 supporters club and then booked me in for the next game from Washington -

R.I.P. Billy lad. - i bet he could have told us all some stories from the 60/70/80s saying that he probably attended every single game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back