This Town - new BBC Series coming next year

I watched the first episode. I wasn’t feeling it and I’ve binned it.

There is just too much great TV at the moment to waste time on mediocrity.

Finished it last night. It was nearly great. Mostly likeable characters, the IRA stuff was very tense.
It looks brilliant, but they tried to cram too much in for me.
As mentioned, the nightclub owner is unbelievable, the lass seems to learn the bass in a couple of weeks and the end scene was a bit cheesy.

Finished it last night. It was nearly great. Mostly likeable characters, the IRA stuff was very tense.
It looks brilliant, but they tried to cram too much in for me.
As mentioned, the nightclub owner is unbelievable, the lass seems to learn the bass in a couple of weeks and the end scene was a bit cheesy.
Without spoiling anything is it left open for a second series? The initial premise seemed a bit limited in where they could run with it.

Without spoiling anything is it left open for a second series? The initial premise seemed a bit limited in where they could run with it.

I would say so. It's set in 81, so the IRA story could run on, it didn't end in way that made you think another series is needed though.

Hmmm I got Tommy Shelby vibes from the nightclub owner not Dante
Him as well.

Hard to explain but it’s more the characters speak. Not the accents but the mannerisms and the way they chat in short sentences, almost like as if they are teaching a lesson or something. It’s very Peaky blinder like so it must be deliberate.

Good series though so not a negative.

Surprised to see so many non1positive comments. I loved it. The song they played at the gig at the end was topper.

It could have a second series like. But finishes quite nicely too if there isn’t. Still some stories to tell.

Even in late 80’s and with Irish heritage there were one or two pubs I wouldn’t take my mates in. Mind you there were more that I wouldn’t take them in for other reasons! My dad played Doms in one of the roughest pubs in Cov and I’d sometimes have a pint with him in there. My mates thought I was mad.
Like most things in life though if you don’t behave like a dick you’ll be okay.
I was at college there in the late 80s. As freshers in '86, we were warned off the Port O'Call up by Hearsall Common because of an "axe fight" that had occurred over the summer. My takeaway was the specific use of the word "fight" rather than "attack," implying that more than one person had an axe.

I was at college there in the late 80s. As freshers in '86, we were warned off the Port O'Call up by Hearsall Common because of an "axe fight" that had occurred over the summer. My takeaway was the specific use of the word "fight" rather than "attack," implying that more than one person had an axe.
A mate of mines dad was in the Port O’call when that happened. It was actually my local for years, they changed the name but not really the clientele. I quite liked it!

A mate of mines dad was in the Port O’call when that happened. It was actually my local for years, they changed the name but not really the clientele. I quite liked it!
I lived just along from it for a year and some mates lived on that street. We got followed home from the city centre one night by a couple of antagonistic types, trying to put the shits up us, but by the end of the walk we were having good crack. They were saying they were locals there and that we could pop in at any time and just say one of the blokes' name and we'd be fine. We never got around to it :D

Back