This Town - new BBC Series coming next year

I lived just along from it for a year and some mates lived on that street. We got followed home from the city centre one night by a couple of antagonistic types, trying to put the shits up us, but by the end of the walk we were having good crack. They were saying they were locals there and that we could pop in at any time and just say one of the blokes' name and we'd be fine. We never got around to it :D
It honestly wasn’t that bad, at least five pubs in Cov I’d be more worried about back then.

Dante just got on my tits by the end. If I heard one more of his poems I was ready to put my foot through the telly. And his band sounded like the Arctic Monkeys.

I would say so. It's set in 81, so the IRA story could run on, it didn't end in way that made you think another series is needed though.

I think it could run over several series. The band is just getting going and the IRA thing could defo rumble on.
Dante just got on my tits by the end. If I heard one more of his poems I was ready to put my foot through the telly. And his band sounded like the Arctic Monkeys.

They were certainly more Arctic Monkeys than Two Tone.

I think it could run over several series. The band is just getting going and the IRA thing could defo rumble on.

They were certainly more Arctic Monkeys than Two Tone.
Growing up in Cov in the 80’s there was more punky fusion than actual two tone, that’s why The Soecials and the Selecter stood out so much initially. A lot of bands followed/evolved to have more of a two tone sound for a while though.

This might be the QI answer scenario, but I always thought the song was about Coventry.
Coventry is involved in the series too. It’s a mix between Coventry & Birmingham, however there’s no reference that I can recall to the actual music that happened at that time in the story. A few overdubs of Jimmy Cliff covers, but nothing about the scene at the time. One of the characters sings You Can Get It If You Really Want I think, whilst his dad sings Fields of Athenry.

Think the idea is they’re forming a band whilst the scene is emerging, taking Jamaican influences, rather than jumping on the bandwagon of an established band or scene that’s already kicked off in England.

That’s how I saw it anyway.

Coventry is involved in the series too. It’s a mix between Coventry & Birmingham, however there’s no reference that I can recall to the actual music that happened at that time in the story. A few overdubs of Jimmy Cliff covers, but nothing about the scene at the time. One of the characters sings You Can Get It If You Really Want I think, whilst his dad sings Fields of Athenry.

Think the idea is they’re forming a band whilst the scene is emerging, taking Jamaican influences, rather than jumping on the bandwagon of an established band or scene that’s already kicked off in England.

That’s how I saw it anyway.
In that case it’s right not to feature the music if it’s not correct for the continuity timescale.
I hate it when songs are used from the wrong era in dramas etc.

Finished it last night, really enjoyed it, waaayy better than peaky blinders. I thought I'd did a great job of capturing some of the innocence and naivety of youth. Of thinking your weird and different and then realising everyone feels the same. Thought it was going to go properly south at the end with the IRA stuff and the junky drummer's influence on Dante, but glad it didn't.

Back