This Summer

The likes of Neil, Ballard & Patterson will be attracting attention - we could realistically ask for £10m - £15m for each of those to be fair.

I think a lot will depend on where we finish this summer as to who stays and who goes. That's usually the case, and as it's January I'm not worrying about it yet.
I probably won't worry about it in the summer either as it's completely out of my control!

The Brighton model is not one of self sustainability. Their owner has put just under half a billion pounds into the club. So let's not pretend we're going to follow their path.

Bottom line is Brighton could have sold a player they bought for £4M for £70M!

They sold a player for £60M that they bought for £15M.

They made over £10M on Dan Burn.

Their new ground and associated things may have put them in debt. I wouldn't know?

Got to love this place before yesterday the 'model' was great Speakman was a genius and now the models shite we're going to sell all of our players and we should burn the club down, let's just actually wait to see what happens before going into meltdown about it not buying another striker looks a big mistake at the moment but I feel like they deserve some patience and who knows, they may actually know what they're doing.

We will not be selling that many players. Even if we did we would get big money for them as a lot of them are under contract.

To. Sign. A. Bloody. Striker.
Hmm..you like doing that don't you? My points obviously weren't about signing a striker. Its clear we should have signed one and probably two. This thread is not about that, though I know this point will be raised every day for the next 4 months by certain people. This thread is about optimism for the future given our ownership philosophy. That philosophy cannot be reduced down to whether we bought a strker yesterday. The OP is suggesting we will sell 8 of our best players. You are saying this model won't work because our fans won't accept us selling. As others have pointed out when the money has been right like with Henderson and Pickford our fans have accepted it. Unlike you and the OP I think, despite us not getting a striker, there are lots of grounds for optimism. If you are going to answer this please move on from us not getting another striker this window because that is not my point.

Like i've posted many a time, imo, our fans will get fed up of this model..once it comes to the selling stage.

Well they'll struggle to sell strikers won't they. Once rs goes it'll be loans all the way by the looks of previous windows. As for the others if there's a younger player pushing for a place it's not too bad, succession planning hasn't been a strong point so far though

Hmm..you like doing that don't you? My points obviously weren't about signing a striker. Its clear we should have signed one and probably two. This thread is not about that, though I know this point will be raised every day for the next 4 months by certain people. This thread is about optimism for the future given our ownership philosophy. That philosophy cannot be reduced down to whether we bought a strker yesterday. The OP is suggesting we will sell 8 of our best players. You are saying this model won't work because our fans won't accept us selling. As others have pointed out when the money has been right like with Henderson and Pickford our fans have accepted it. Unlike you and the OP I think, despite us not getting a striker, there are lots of grounds for optimism. If you are going to answer this please move on from us not getting another striker this window because that is not my point.
Henderson and Pickford were one offs. When it becomes every season, i'm not sure fans will stay as patient.

Henderson and Pickford were one offs. When it becomes every season, i'm not sure fans will stay as patient.
Fair enough mate. You are again looking ahead and anticipating the worst case scenario. Compared to Brentford/Brighton/Southampton we are a bigger club and so will not have a better revenue stream which will come into play. It is not written in stone that we will sell every good player we have - like the Saints have kept some really good players like Ward-Prowse. I guess you are just more of a pessimist than me but I am loving the ride at the moment and look forward to it getting better and better. Just think in a few years down the road when some of our youngsters like Johnson and Watson start coming in. There's more tyo look forward to than there is to fear.

Their new ground and associated things may have put them in debt. I wouldn't know?
Most of the debt to Bloom relates to the ground; same with Lansdown at Bristol.

Yeah that accounts for a good chunk but think about 250 million into the running of the team. I get the argument and agree with the approach. But would love it support to be supported by a bit more owner funding as that's what we need to make us truly competitive.

Brightons new ground cost £97 million and is sponsored by Amex, they also sold land for housing to put towards the training facilities.

They are also in the top 10 loss making clubs in premier league history (confirmed by Kieran Maguire)

Let's not pretend the money they owe their owner has all gone on infrastructure
Edit. Steve Lansdowne at Bristol city spend £45 million redeveloping the ground is owed over £240 million just for info

Last edited:
The actual Dortmund / Brighton etc. model is buy cheap sell for crazy money. If someone comes in with daft money which will easily facilitate buying a replacement we sell. If someone comes in with bog standard bids we turn them down.

This. Absolutely mental that people can't fathom that football clubs sell their best players for a lot more money that what they bought them for, and then reinvest.

To give them the benefit of the doubt, it's been a fair while since we've had a group of players worth more than what we've bought them for, and actually had teams interested in our players due to their quality.

I think the majority of our "saleable assets" will hang around for another season to try and get us promoted, unless we get crazy offers for them. The exception could be Stewart as he's only got a year left and had a couple of bad injuries - got the feeling we'll accept a decent offer for him because of that.

Summer 2024 could be brutal though if we don't go up and these players continue to improve.

Got to love this place before yesterday the 'model' was great Speakman was a genius and now the models shite we're going to sell all of our players and we should burn the club down, let's just actually wait to see what happens before going into meltdown about it not buying another striker looks a big mistake at the moment but I feel like they deserve some patience and who knows, they may actually know what they're doing.
It’ll all change as soon as we win a game, MoaningMelt and his merry band of f***ing knackers will disappear for a bit and wait for their next opportunity to piss their pants

Back