This Summer

..can people not do both? If you concentrate on the here and now..you are knackered for the future. Always got to look ahead.
I don’t think you reminding us ‘many a time’ that were not going to be happy with our club in the future, when we have a positive present, is helping us make sure we aren’t knackered for the future.

My idea of looking ahead would be thinking about the possibility of a PL return - not being possibly negatively affected by how our players end up being sold. Every teams best players get sold, that’s football

Like i've posted many a time, imo, our fans will get fed up of this model..once it comes to the selling stage.
You have and yet we're two years in and we've seen no sales yet. It is undeniable that we are in a far better position than we were when KLD took over. At the moment we aren't losing youth players as we did with the previous lot and we have bought a whole crop of great players. Yet, you and the OP want to talk away any gains with a rather doomsday scenario. I mean this post by the OP is just tragic, suggesting we'll sell 8 of our best players this summer. I genuinely think this lad would be awful company to chat to. Don't get him on to climate change and the war in Ukraine because its clear the end is nigh. The alternative view is that Brighton have a similar model and they are playing their best ever football. Before KLD came in we were crying out for such long term thinking. Now its here you and others want to bring it down by saying this model won't work for us. We all know we failed by not getting in a striker or two in. Watching the Fulham game was one of the best performances I've seen for years yet all you want to do is talk our future down. And yes....maybe I need a rest from here cos its depressing.

I think we'll sell Roberts if a good offer comes in and we'll finally shift Gooch, Diamond and Dajaku. The rest would require crazy offers.

I hope Pritchard gets another deal as his workrate makes a huge difference.

I don’t think you reminding us ‘many a time’ that were not going to be happy with our club in the future, when we have a positive present, is helping us make sure we aren’t knackered for the future.

My idea of looking ahead would be thinking about the possibility of a PL return - not being possibly negatively affected by how our players end up being sold. Every teams best players get sold, that’s football
So, you choose to ignore the posts where i have praised the recruitment or the way the team.are playing etc??

I think you’re in for a shock

I don't think you understand the model at all.

For example Tony Bloom, the Brighton chairman is a rich poker player. He is playing the transfer market. If he fucks a sale up (i.e. he asks for too much) he has the resources to ensure the club aren't left short of cash.

The model is buy cheap, sell high. Not buy cheap, sell cheap or medium. Sell high.

So, you choose to ignore the posts where i have praised the recruitment or the way the team.are playing etc??
No, that’s not the case - I don’t follow your posts, not ignoring them, I just saw your comment on this thread and replied, I don’t know your overall views / other comments -

I agree on your mention of recruitment praise and the way we’re playing

You have and yet we're two years in and we've seen no sales yet. It is undeniable that we are in a far better position than we were when KLD took over. At the moment we aren't losing youth players as we did with the previous lot and we have bought a whole crop of great players. Yet, you and the OP want to talk away any gains with a rather doomsday scenario. I mean this post by the OP is just tragic, suggesting we'll sell 8 of our best players this summer. I genuinely think this lad would be awful company to chat to. Don't get him on to climate change and the war in Ukraine because its clear the end is nigh. The alternative view is that Brighton have a similar model and they are playing their best ever football. Before KLD came in we were crying out for such long term thinking. Now its here you and others want to bring it down by saying this model won't work for us. We all know we failed by not getting in a striker or two in. Watching the Fulham game was one of the best performances I've seen for years yet all you want to do is talk our future down. And yes....maybe I need a rest from here cos its depressing.
...and, another one. Choosing to ignore where i praised the way team is playing and the recruitment prior to yesterday. I don't go on the Ukraine thread cos it's full of idiots. Brighton owe their owner £400mill, hardly an ideal scenario.

I'd love to know what folk are weighing us against when they say we're doing everything on the cheap.

Im a bit worried about Dan Neil, he appears to be growing into a top-flight footballer imo.

If someone offers Henderson money, £18M we'll probably sell. If they offer £8M we won't. That's the model.

...and, another one. Choosing to ignore where i praised the way team is playing and the recruitment prior to yesterday. I don't go on the Ukraine thread cos it's full of idiots. Brighton owe their owner £400mill, hardly an ideal scenario.
Mate, this thread is beyond depressing, talking away any optimism. Your point is that we will start selling our players and at that point it won't be accepted. You will no doubt explain how any sustainable model be it Southampton, Brentford or Brighton will not work here for various reasons. I am not sure what you want. Is it a return to Ellis Short's big spending. All I am saying there are massive grounds for optimism despite the big disappointment of not getting a striker. However, its seems, given your view of the future, optimism is an anathema to you, and you far from the most pessimuistic. Take the OP for example - he's got 8 of our best players gone in the summer.

This is one of the reasons why i was pushing for us to have a go at going up this season. Not necessarily spunking loads of money just a couple of shrewd experienced signings.

If we dont go up we lose Diallo and theres a good chance we lose Stewart. Theres also a fair chance we then have clubs in for maybe Neil, Roberts, Clarke, Ballard, Patterson.

All of that can be massively unsettling. Can completely mess up our season plans when in the last week of the transfer window we lose one of our best players - basically a typical SAFC transfer window which id think the new owners want to avoid.

We then need to spend and work hard just to stand still.

I mean im easy. I have faith in the current management. I just think its case of go up this season or spene the next 3-4 years in the Championship.

Mate, this thread is beyond depressing, talking away any optimism. Your point is that we will start selling our players and at that point it won't be accepted. You will no doubt explain how any sustainable model be it Southampton, Brentford or Brighton will not work here for various reasons. I am not sure what you want. Is it a return to Ellis Short's big spending. All I am saying there are massive grounds for optimism despite the big disappointment of not getting a striker. However, its seems, given your view of the future, optimism is an anathema to you, and you far from the most pessimuistic. Take the OP for example - he's got 8 of our best players gone in the summer.
To. Sign. A. Bloody. Striker.

It's telling that we haven't lost any of our best players under this new ownership (i'm not counting Wyke), but under Donald we were happy to sell anyone with an ounce of promise (Mumba and co.)

If someone offers good money for Neil or others, we'll sell and reinvest. Nothing suggests we'll just have a firesale - and given we're discussing a contract for Neil in particular, I'm confident we can keep him. Championship clubs can demand good money these days.

Say we did sell 8 of our players in the summer. We won't as that's not what the model is at all. But say we did.

How much would they be worth? North of 50 million together? (who knows and my personal valuation of the players is not my point) Would we do it? Yes, probably. We couldn't afford not to.

The point is that Anderson, Lihadj, Ba, Alese, Hume, Bennette et al are there to make the step up, bedded in with championship experience and we go out and buy/develop more youth.

It won't happen as that is not the intention, but you may see one or two go, yes. The major team rebuilds are meant to be things of the past. I trust it, personally.

It's telling that we haven't lost any of our best players under this new ownership (i'm not counting Wyke), but under Donald we were happy to sell anyone with an ounce of promise (Mumba and co.)

If someone offers good money for Neil or others, we'll sell and reinvest. Nothing suggests we'll just have a firesale - and given we're discussing a contract for Neil in particular, I'm confident we can keep him. Championship clubs can demand good money these days.
has there been any bids for any of them ?

The actual Dortmund / Brighton etc. model is buy cheap sell for crazy money. If someone comes in with daft money which will easily facilitate buying a replacement we sell. If someone comes in with bog standard bids we turn them down.
The Brighton model is not one of self sustainability. Their owner has put just under half a billion pounds into the club. So let's not pretend we're going to follow their path.

Tbh im just pleased we have the good young players we do considering where we were 2 year ago

Squad full of plodders with no value at all

Back