This obsession with 2 holding midfielders🤷‍♂️

He spent the first 10 minutes kicking anything that moved then once the ref told him off he was anonymous. Still better than Rice mind.
Your right. Rice and Philips were really poor and overrun. There was a clear gap between them two and the front three. Need to go to a 1451 and start to break quick. Far to slow in build up play. Grealish has far too much ability for an England team….far to attacking and if it’s up to Southgate he’ll be on after 75mins in each game.

To Rice, who passed it further backwards still.
This is what is drilled into them as DM's. Pass back, sideways, keep the ball, be safe..... and our cowardly cautious manager plays two of them, against Scotland.
2 games running, needs to be dropped for the next game.
But he is exceptional!!!. He is just another media darling who has done nothing whatsoever to earn this elite tag he appears to have.

Last edited:
That’s nonsense. France the bookies favourites play 2 defensive midfielders. As do Italy, Belgium, Nederland’s, Portugal.

Frances second 'defensive' midfielder is Pogba. May as well count Mount as one.

Belgium played no defensive midfielders till Witsel came on

Italys second defensive midfielder scored 2 goals the other day

I dont think i can work out who you have as netherlands second defensive midfielder tbh.

Your right. Rice and Philips were really poor and overrun. There was a clear gap between them two and the front three. Need to go to a 1451 and start to break quick. Far to slow in build up play. Grealish has far too much ability for an England team….far to attacking and if it’s up to Southgate he’ll be on after 75mins in each game.

In the first half there was a 30 yard gap between rice and phillips. Second half phillips was obviously told to follow rice back towards the defenders.

This is what is drilled into them as DM's. Pass back, sideways, keep the ball, be safe..... and our cowardly cautious manager plays two of them, against Scotland.

But he is exceptional!!!. He is just another media darling who has done nothing whatsoever to earn this elite tag he appears to have.
Watched Wales and every opportunity they pushed forward and tried to give the ball to the attackers in a forward position.
Us, backwards every single time and kill any momentum we may have

It’s tragic

They bullied us.
Southgate should have seen it coming and started Grealish.
He could have gained us some valuable free kicks.

It was a bizarre team selection tonight. A few months ago Walker and Foden tore Robertson to pieces at Anfield. That combination should have started the game.

Guardiola has an attacking gameplan - Southgate doesn't have any idea how to work a system -he makes everyone seem bad.

Watched Wales and every opportunity they pushed forward and tried to give the ball to the attackers in a forward position.
Us, backwards every single time and kill any momentum we may have

It’s tragic
Correct. We have a wealth of attacking options. They are just stifled by overly cautious team selections, cowardly tactics and a manager so focused on not losing that there is no Plan B.
This is why we will be out to the first half decent team we meet. When the opposition score against our back 6,7, or 8 we need to hit back, with a plan B. He barely has a plan A.

Frances second 'defensive' midfielder is Pogba. May as well count Mount as one.

Belgium played no defensive midfielders till Witsel came on

Italys second defensive midfielder scored 2 goals the other day

I dont think i can work out who you have as netherlands second defensive midfielder tbh.
I mean for France it’s Rabiot who plays alongside Kante. So not sure where Pogba comes in as a defensive midfielder.

Nederlands De Roon and De Jong and Winaldjum all have periods playing defensive midfield

Belgium- Dendonker, Tielmans.

I mean you may argue they’re better than ours but none of the above are considered attacking midfielders particularly. Or I certainly wouldn’t consider them attacking like Mount, Pogba, De Bruyne etc.

Back