This man gets it right every single time.

• Thread starter Deleted member 43869
  • Start date

Lads, needle phobia. We talking people scared of needles or the type of people who would break out in a nervous sweat at the sight of them and run out of the clinic?

Like OCD, phobias have become a generalised, low-level mental health problem in the eyes of the public and applied to anyone who is just a bit scared of something. Neither phobias or OCD are low-level or really that common.

How many people really have needle phobia to an extent they can’t get jabbed? Some, sure, but for many I suspect it is but a convenient excuse.

Not really.

Seems when things are tough people find it very easy to hide.

I'd love to see how people would behave if we ever went to war.

This last 18 months has really highlighted just how pathetic some people are when asked to protect more vulnerable.
Tend to agree. We seem to live in a snowflake society these days where everyone has a phobia or previously unheard of "medical reasons" that hinders compliance

Lads, needle phobia. We talking people scared of needles or the type of people who would break out in a nervous sweat at the sight of them and run out of the clinic?

Like OCD, phobias have become a generalised, low-level mental health problem in the eyes of the public and applied to anyone who is just a bit scared of something. Neither phobias or OCD are low-level or really that common.

How many people really have needle phobia to an extent they can’t get jabbed? Some, sure, but for many I suspect it is but a convenient excuse.

Totally agree.

In my opinion, somebody who has a phobia so significant in their live it proves a threat to health, is likely to seek help.

People who cite it as a reason why they can't get a vaccine without seeking help are probably lying.

Can't believe you're defending adults who can't be brave for 5 seconds in their life. Twice.

Bet they think nothing of getting their holiday vaccinations.
Agree. We live in a "you can't tell me what to do" society. My belief is many of these people who come up with excuses not to get vaccinated are only doing so because they won't be told. Same as the chavvy parents at my daughter's school - told to wear facemasks and refuse to do so citing "medial reasons" when in fact it's just that same attitude

@Frijj The original comment was there are no reasons. Which there is, as you say, people who have genuine 'high-level' needle phobias.

I would like to hear people's thoughts on all the other reasons I posted too. Seems everyone has jumped on the easiest one to argue against.

Last edited:
I'll take that any day over forcibly putting someone in a situation that triggers their anxiety disorder.

:rolleyes:

No worries.
@Frijj The original comment was there are no reasons. Which there is, as you say, people who have genuine 'high-level' needle phobias.

I would like to hear people's thoughts on all the other reasons I posted too. Seems everyone has jumped on the easiest one to argue against.

I didn't say that like.

Last edited:
"Medical issues" isn't simply one reason though.

For example:

Needle phobia
Bad reactions to previous injections/vaccinations
Conditions that mean the side affects are more intense/difficult to deal with e.g. Fibromyalgia and many others
Fear of being in a crowded area, or vulnerable to being in crowded areas due to catching illness e.g. covid
Pregnancy

Then there's people who may doubt the effectiveness of the vaccine, may feel there's not enough research etc, and all valid reasons if that's how they feel about it.
Some people may not have the time to make it to local mass vaccinations, or have the means to travel to other sites.
Some people may not be able to afford to have one arm done in for a few days, or feel ill, for example if they're a single parent or a carer.

For the record, I've had mine, before I get called anti-vaxxer etc.

Needle phobia only in the most extreme, these patients should ask for something from their GP to relieve their anxiety

Bad reactions - fine

Conditions that make the side effects significantly worse - fine

Fear of being in a crowded area or vulnerable being in such an area - GP should offer alternative means of vaccination

People who doubt it - morons
People who don't have the time - liars
People who can't afford to feel unwell - the number of people who will get severely unwell, and the number of people who can't afford to be that unwell, will be few and far between.

:rolleyes:

No worries.

I didn't say that like.

My original response was to Topcat
Tough love needed. If you have been offered the jab, there is no reason to refuse it.
Needle phobia only in the most extreme, these patients should ask for something from their GP to relieve their anxiety

Bad reactions - fine

Conditions that make the side effects significantly worse - fine

Fear of being in a crowded area or vulnerable being in such an area - GP should offer alternative means of vaccination

People who doubt it - morons
People who don't have the time - liars
People who can't afford to feel unwell - the number of people who will get severely unwell, and the number of people who can't afford to be that unwell, will be few and far between.

Thankfully, the two you noted as "fine" apply to me :lol: I've still had it, by would totally understand why people wouldn't for the same reasons.

Last edited:
Aside from physical reactions that would make it dangerous, I agree.

I agree with everything @Frijj said too. If the phobia is that bad, they should ask their GP for help.

I agree with that 100%, they should absolutely seek GP help. However, I can imagine it's not a quick and easy process for someone with a severe phobia, nor is it guaranteed to be effective.

Last edited:

I for one have a huge phobia of needles. All dental work has to be done under sedation. Yes I know that involves a needle but the stress I go through when that needle goes into the back of the hand is off the scale. I had to go through it all for my first vaccine jab and will have to go through it again for my second. So for a lot of people it is not a convenient excuse.

Better than Churchill?!

Elections lost

Blair 0
Churchill 2
I for one have a huge phobia of needles. All dental work has to be done under sedation. Yes I know that involves a needle but the stress I go through when that needle goes into the back of the hand is off the scale. I had to go through it all for my first vaccine jab and will have to go through it again for my second. So for a lot of people it is not a convenient excuse.

Quite the opposite mate, I'm not saying that needle phobias don't exist, I'm saying that like people who say they've got OCD because they like things looking tidy, anyone who is mildly scared of things, says they have a phobia. I don't deny that needle phobias exist and apologies that this wasn't made clearer. I think that anyone who does have a needle phobia that is severe enough to actually require additional intervention, should get that support. I simply think that some people will use 'needle phobia' as an excuse when really they're just a little bit scared of a needle, but are absolutely nowhere near the diagnostic threshold for a genuine phobia.

Last edited:

Evidently you don’t have a phobia.

Fair play to you for still getting it done.

People forget that having a piece of metal stabbed in you is not a natural experience, and for the majority of time has been seen as a bad thing and something people's brains will try and shock you in to avoiding.

Elections lost

Blair 0
Churchill 2

Quite the opposite mate, I'm not saying that needle phobias don't exist, I'm saying that like people who say they've got OCD because they like things looking tidy, anyone who is mildly scared of things, says they have a phobia. I don't deny that needle phobias exist and apologies that this wasn't made clearer. I think that anyone who does have a needle phobia that is severe enough to actually require additional intervention, should get that support. I simply think that some people will use 'needle phobia' as an excuse when really they're just a little bit scared of a needle, but are absolutely nowhere near the diagnostic threshold for a genuine phobia.
Thanks for that

It was the support I got from my dentist that sent me down the sedation route. I broke into a cold sweat and shook really badly when the needle was close to my mouth. You are correct there is support out there and anyone that goes through what I go through should seek it.

Back