Things you’ve learned in the last 24 hours

Not in all cases.
Depends what job you're on Kev, and to what standards the job is getting done to.
For example - Offshore drilling - The Chief Engineer on a rig/drillship would be where the buck stops - but in practice he would be leaving the QC side up to the welder himself to ensure the work is up to standard and all welding procedures followed.
On offshore construction jobs on a production platform, a certain percentage of work would be done by the platform's Q.C. dept - all depending on what is being done.
On onshore jobs - like down at Wilton etc - yes inspection would be done by a QC department.

I understand all of that perfectly well my good friend.
In all instances, the welder isn’t ultimately responsible for the completed work, it’s someone above and you’ve highlighted quite succinctly that differing organisations manage delegated responsibility differently.

I understand all of that perfectly well my good friend.
In all instances, the welder isn’t ultimately responsible for the completed work, it’s someone above and you’ve highlighted quite succinctly that differing organisations manage delegated responsibility differently.
I thank you.

Dunno.
But those of us on here who are/were skilled trades people who don't/didn't work in an office environment - don't/didn't have senior management who sign/signed off their work as you allude to in your opening post.
Just saying.
What about building/construction work?
There will be some instances where trades will self certify, a lot where they are left to their own devices, some where clerk of works/site manager check things (sometimes), and most where they don't get checked or give a shit.
Has the OP learned about that lately.

It’s just after reading the threads about yesterday’s fiasco on PF. People keep referring to how everything must have been signed off by senior management.
Maybes things weren't personally signed off, but KLD is still the big boss and it's his culture of haphazard, penny pinching, lack of care that results in people thinking shit like that is okay.

He'll have absolutely been fine with the Mags getting the black cats bar and carpet rolled out for them, and that kind of disregard for the "optics" of it rolls down through the staff.

What about building/construction work?
There will be some instances where trades will self certify, a lot where they are left to their own devices, some where clerk of works/site manager check things (sometimes), and most where they don't get checked or give a shit.
Has the OP learned about that lately.

Building control in theory for controllable work but you hear a lot about some of the inspections not being fit for purpose.

Much like the average mortgage survey on a home these days which consists of ‘is a house on this site?’

That a surprisingly high number of people must now take leave in the week after the new year

He says sat on his own in the canteen after marvelling at how how quick my commute has been all week

Back