Things you’ve learned in the last 24 hours

I’ve only now realised just how much seemingly everyone else here needs to have their work signed-off by senior management.

I’m given autonomy by my boss to look after my area. And my managers are given autonomy to look after theirs.

I thought that was normal, but I guess not.

What fascinating new pieces of information have you all discovered in this past day?

I’ve only now realised just how much seemingly everyone else here needs to have their work signed-off by senior management.

I’m given autonomy by my boss to look after my area. And my managers are given autonomy to look after theirs.

What fascinating new pieces of information have you all discovered in this past day?
Where is here?

I've just learned that I haven't got a fecking clue what you are on about

“Oooh look at me my firm trusts me to do good work without the need for correction.”

Pathetic.

It’s just after reading the threads about yesterday’s fiasco on PF. People keep referring to how everything must have been signed off by senior management.

In my experience this just massively depends on how your team is structured and can vary within the same company.

Everyone will have experience of a neurotic micromanager who wants to review everything no matter how minor and will also want it reviewed by 3 people before them.

Others will just learn who they can trust and who they can’t.

It’s just after reading the threads about yesterday’s fiasco on PF. People keep referring to how everything must have been signed off by senior management.
I haven't ventured onto PF but from Twitter it's obvious that people, especially when angry, don't view entities like 'the club' and 'the council' as being workplaces subject to the same laws and ways of working as every other business.

Our ownership group isn’t very good at managing a football club.

You’ve made a good point, but do you work in an industry that’s under continuous media scrutiny?

What would be the outcome if you deliberately aided a competitor and purposefully humiliated a large customer base?

Last edited:
Do only pen pushers in an office have managers?

I’m learning so much today.
Dunno.
But those of us on here who are/were skilled trades people who don't/didn't work in an office environment - don't/didn't have senior management who sign/signed off their work as you allude to in your opening post.
Just saying.

Dunno.
But those of us on here who are/were skilled trades people who don't/didn't work in an office environment - don't/didn't have senior management who sign/signed off their work as you allude to in your opening post.
Just saying.

QC do in your case. Delegated responsibility. You wouldn’t expect the owner to inspect your welds.

QC do in your case. Delegated responsibility. You wouldn’t expect the owner to inspect your welds.
Not in all cases.
Depends what job you're on Kev, and to what standards the job is getting done to.
For example - Offshore drilling - The Chief Engineer on a rig/drillship would be where the buck stops - but in practice he would be leaving the QC side up to the welder himself to ensure the work is up to standard and all welding procedures followed.
On offshore construction jobs on a production platform, a certain percentage of work would be done by the platform's Q.C. dept - all depending on what is being done.
On onshore jobs - like down at Wilton etc - yes inspection would be done by a QC department.

Back