The Wire

Season 4 was the school one, it’s one of the best seasons of telly ever. That season for me was what brought it close to topping the sopranos

But overall sopranos is the best ever
Agree about The Sopranos being a better show overall as every season was excellent.

The Wire was also brilliant, let down by season 5 as a few have already mentioned. But it did explore more social issues and themes than other shows have - and for that, it's up there with the best.

Really? I think Bubbles is one of the only rays of hope in the show, and a rare happy ending (at least by the standards of The Wire).
I don't mean necessarily a tragic ending More so his lifestyle like so many on the streets is tragic. He's obviously a very kind character who just wants to get by earning coin And help his friends. It's like some of the kids introduced in season 4. They're not bad people it's just their upbringing or rather lack of it means they'll end up in crime

I don't mean necessarily a tragic ending More so his lifestyle like so many on the streets is tragic. He's obviously a very kind character who just wants to get by earning coin And help his friends. It's like some of the kids introduced in season 4. They're not bad people it's just their upbringing or rather lack of it means they'll end up in crime
Aye, all the main school kids had pretty tragic endings. Apart from the one who was the biggest knacker of all of them to start with.

Agree about The Sopranos being a better show overall as every season was excellent.

The Wire was also brilliant, let down by season 5 as a few have already mentioned. But it did explore more social issues and themes than other shows have - and for that, it's up there with the best.
I enjoyed season 5 just as much as it tied loose ends. Was it disrupted by the big writers striker though or am I imagining that?

I enjoyed season 5 just as much as it tied loose ends. Was it disrupted by the big writers striker though or am I imagining that?

A quick Google suggests that its broadcast was soon after the strike but it was written and filmed before it.

My problem was that the actual bit where the police try to investigate a gangster and how the system works was a bit thrown away while it concentrated instead on a story about journalistic ethics. I agreed with what it was saying but it felt out of place with everything else on the show. I think David Simon had been involved in a situation in real life where someone had been flouting journalistic ethics despite his objections and he felt very strongly about it. But it was a bit crowbarred in there imho

The end of the show was still amazing though, where they showed you how the different people ended up across the city and how the system always wins

I think it’s the weakest season but still very good, and miles better than most stuff that’s on TV. The one particular storyline that gets silly doesn’t necessarily ruin it for me.

Prop Joe is class, has some great lines.

"Got more bodies on him than a Chinese cemetery"
About to finish season 4 tonight and it's just absolutely perfect. I love how prez is building the rapport amongst his students. So is Colvile as well TBf.
Didn't think anyone would dethrone breaking bad for me but this is really close

About to finish season 4 tonight and it's just absolutely perfect. I love how prez is building the rapport amongst his students. So is Colvile as well TBf.
I think it has a lot more rewatch value. I loved Breaking Bad, but it's only a once watch for mel, but it does have some infinitely rewatchable scenes.

Prez has one of the best character arcs of any show I’ve seen.

Back