The wasting of the Amad opportunity

exactly amad had done a bit in his career before he came to SAFC...im sure mowbray did help him settle etc and thats why Amad referenced him favourably..but Amad was already a good player at this level

erm? failed at charlton? He cant have..chelsea paid money to buy him from charlton and immediately before he came to SAFC he made a couple of appearances (brief ones) in the premier league for chelsea..

He had a loan back there and.... failed, unless 9 appearances, 0 goals and looking out of place is a success to you?

I'm not sure how playing a few minutes for Chelsea in the prem would affect If he was successful in his loan spell.

He had a loan back there and.... failed, unless 9 appearances, 0 goals and looking out of place is a success to you?

I'm not sure how playing a few minutes for Chelsea in the prem would affect If he was successful in his loan spell.
that loan back was after chelsea bought him...ie a loan until the end of the season thing..
yes those nine games were unsuccessful..

no one bought amad for £30mn..he had scored three goals on his only previous loan..which was with rangers (3 in 10 appearances is good) of course amad was already a better player than burstow..amad had more of a football CV arriving having played a couple of serie A games (and scored) and a champions league game...
How much was he then? You’re agreeing with my point btw, it’s not a lottery how a loan signing will turn out.

How much was he then? You’re agreeing with my point btw, it’s not a lottery how a loan signing will turn out.
all signings are to some extent a lottery..even if you buy proven and experienced..but of course one can tilt the odds in ones favour by looking at the data around what a player has achieved to date..and amad had achieved a lot more than burstow..

Italian clubs dont sell players for amounts quoted in sterling..for some mysterious reason they like euros..Amad was sold for an initial 25 million euro with add ons which is £21mn at todays exchange rate, add ons which which obviously havent been achieved yet..meaning it could rise to 40 million euros..

What was the name of that highly rated centre half we signed on loan from Burnley? He was horse droppings at his very best.

I’m sure we all recall the story of how he was beaming in the final meeting before he left and how much he had not developed and enjoyed his time with us.
It was made clear that this was the biggest sign yet that the leading clubs in England would entrust Sunderland before others with their very best rising stars

So of all the young talent available the decision was made to target Mason Burstow

Anyone involved in that decision should be thrown in the river wear with concrete wellies on

I would love someone to explain to me the process and logic involved
It’s ver simple , where the hell would we get 40m+ man. Was never ever a chance of signing him , people need to give the club credit for getting him on loan , it was a coup. Now we need to move on.

It’s ver simple , where the hell would we get 40m+ man. Was never ever a chance of signing him , people need to give the club credit for getting him on loan , it was a coup. Now we need to move on.
I don’t think the OP is on about us permanently signing Amad but that after the success of his loan we were arguably in a good position with Man Utd for loaning their best up and coming youngsters.

Instead we signed Burstow for some reason.

Did we really do that much to develop him or is he just a brilliant player at this level and needed the opportunity to play every week?

Michut and Gelhardt didn’t exactly set the world alight under the same management.

I honestly don’t think clubs would be desperate to throw players at us just because of how good Amad was
Thought Michut was a decent player personally but him and Neil in a midfield 2 just didn't work.

I’m sure we all recall the story of how he was beaming in the final meeting before he left and how much he had not developed and enjoyed his time with us.
It was made clear that this was the biggest sign yet that the leading clubs in England would entrust Sunderland before others with their very best rising stars

So of all the young talent available the decision was made to target Mason Burstow

Anyone involved in that decision should be thrown in the river wear with concrete wellies on

all comes down to wages....even though Premier clubs would love to loan out their players to us we will not pay the fees or the wages involved......we really are pathetic and will never get promoted unless a change pf policy is made.

It worked for amad because he's got real talent and he was also give a free reign by TM to express himself. Burstow was a panic signing after they couldn't get amad back..The biggest issue for me is why is Burstow still getting game time ahead of our own young players 🤔
Burstow definitely isn’t a panic signing. They were trying to sign him permanently in the summer but couldn’t get it done so agreed the loan.

Burstow definitely isn’t a panic signing. They were trying to sign him permanently in the summer but couldn’t get it done so agreed the loan.
You might be right marra, however I remember Speakman saying he tried to get Amad right across the summer and failed at the last minute. I just couldn't see us bringing in Amad and Burstow...

Kristjaan Speakman exposed as a massive chancer who got lucky with Diallo. His other signings last season were mainly crap and injured constantly, other than Jobe this season, nothing has changed

I don’t think the OP is on about us permanently signing Amad but that after the success of his loan we were arguably in a good position with Man Utd for loaning their best up and coming youngsters.

Instead we signed Burstow for some reason.

It’s as though some are writing off Chelsea and the players they sign/have in their academy. They have a top academy themselves. We just signed a dud.

We went into the season with a strikeforce made up of three lads, one with eighteen game’s experience, mostly at League One level, one with twenty-one game’s experience, mostly in the second tier of Portuguese football and the most experienced was a lad who had played eighty-eight games, all in Ukraine. So, one hundred and twenty seven games between three lads with an average of 20.66 when the season begun. Two of the three had moved to the club from different countries and different cultures, one of which signed from a club in the midst of a war, they’re going to need a bedding in period and time to settle and adjust to the rigours of Championship football.

I’ve always backed the model, because I thought that having some form of recruitment model that want just a scattergun approach to signing anyone that would sign for us, provided we threw enough money at them. I was sick of mercenaries and disinterested tossers taking the club for a ride and having a strategy and approach was something I agreed with and was glad we looked at implementing. That said, it’s been implemented poorly this past season. I don’t think we should abandon the model and I (sticks tin hat on) don’t think we should sack Speakman as long as he is open enough to admit it has gone wrong and to adapt and change.

I wish you hadn't brought this up........

but your right orf course.
Burstow wasn't the number one target, was he? We know we were after Stansfield and Simms in the Summer to name just two.
The difference being between Stansfiled and Simms was that Burstow was the cheaper option....

People need to wake up that its NOW, all about how cheap the Club can do things.

Last edited:

Back