The wasting of the Amad opportunity

My Chelsea mate said to me he'll either be a superstar at that level or he'll be asking if you want fries with that quarter pounder within 18 months

Burstow was highly thought of. Milan were taking a good look at him, and he had featured for Chelsea in pre season (he scored against Dortmund)
The player just hasn’t kicked on.

He's scored 10 in his last 8 games. Showd how much if a lottery a loan is tbh, he couldn't hit a barn door beginning of the season but now it's clicked.
Aye but it was still a good loan signing, he’d scored goals in previous loans. Burstow had done fuck all, it’s not just lottery. Amad had been bought for 30M or whatever, he’d obviously shown a lot at some point.

Did we really do that much to develop him or is he just a brilliant player at this level and needed the opportunity to play every week?

Michut and Gelhardt didn’t exactly set the world alight under the same management.

I honestly don’t think clubs would be desperate to throw players at us just because of how good Amad was
This, without a doubt plus man u wouldn't sell him anyways

Yeah the second bit - if he played every week for Man United they’d have world beater on their hands. They don’t seem to have a f***ing clue about it anarl!

He works hard, tracks back, he’s fantastic on the ball, wand of a left peg. He’s got the lot and they won’t pick him. Mental.
I was staggered when he scored how little the other players went to him ? They all ran around hugging each other but weren’t OTT with him ? When the ‘stars’ scored it was completely different. Don’t think he fits it with the massive ego stars there

I was staggered when he scored how little the other players went to him ? They all ran around hugging each other but weren’t OTT with him ? When the ‘stars’ scored it was completely different. Don’t think he fits it with the massive ego stars there
You’ve completely made that up like

He got mobbed by practically the whole team

The reason he was celebrating by himself initially is because there was only
Him anywhere near the goal.

Most of the bench ran down to celebrate with him aswell

Last edited:
Simms was a success here and was happy to come back. The club decided the fee was too steep. Burstow is nowhere near the player Simms is.

After a poor run when playing without strikers last season Simms was first back fit (out of him and Stewart) I think it was Birmingham away. The difference was immediately noticeable. He led the line, held the ball up and scored the opening goal in a 1-2 away win.

With Burstow or Hemir up top it’s like playing with ten men.

All reports suggest that he wanted to be close to his family in London, so when a closer club came in he went there.
Exactly, some players have other priorities that aren't how well another player did the season before. It's not like Amad came from nowhere either, Man Utd paid a fortune for him.

I can see him taking the KDB/ Salah route and coming back stronger, and a world class footballer.

The worrying thing with regards to Burstow is that we wanted to sign him on a long term contract and Chelsea would only entertain a loan.

Thanks Chelsea. 😘

Did we really do that much to develop him or is he just a brilliant player at this level and needed the opportunity to play every week?

Michut and Gelhardt didn’t exactly set the world alight under the same management.

I honestly don’t think clubs would be desperate to throw players at us just because of how good Amad was
exactly amad had done a bit in his career before he came to SAFC...im sure mowbray did help him settle etc and thats why Amad referenced him favourably..but Amad was already a good player at this level
Not really, he'd just failed at Charlton, no?
erm? failed at charlton? He cant have..chelsea paid money to buy him from charlton and immediately before he came to SAFC he made a couple of appearances (brief ones) in the premier league for chelsea..

Last edited:
Aye but it was still a good loan signing, he’d scored goals in previous loans. Burstow had done fuck all, it’s not just lottery. Amad had been bought for 30M or whatever, he’d obviously shown a lot at some point.
no one bought amad for £30mn..he had scored three goals on his only previous loan..which was with rangers (3 in 10 appearances is good) of course amad was already a better player than burstow..amad had more of a football CV arriving having played a couple of serie A games (and scored) and a champions league game...

Maybe not, but the lad is right it was an opportunity for any club able to spin the narrative that we made a good young player happy. Especially given his comparative experience at Rangers.

Our brand as a place to attract the best talent on loan was in a very good place. The OP is right - that was wasted.

First, by agreeing with silly people on here who are sniffy about loans, in preference of buying people. One look at teams who have gone up in recent years shows loans are a strategic necessity.

Second, as the OP says by targeting f***ing Burstow. Now, he is utter gash and that’s not on us. But by the same token that we could have spun Amad, now clubs will hear Chelsea say - they did a terrible job with our Mason.

The three managers in a year is a terrible vibe as well. We have all felt how chaotic it is to constantly change leader and the idiot Tories now look like they might do it again! Football clubs aren’t that dissimilar - we look like a basket case. Clubs, agents and players will now price that in when thinking about coming to us - loan or buy.

Club has a tough summer ahead - no brand, low wages, best players on manoeuvres and another new manager.

The omens are not good.

Last edited:

Back