The wasting of the Amad opportunity

I think we overestimate our reputation sometimes.
The Championship is littered with players on loan from PL clubs.many of whom do very well
We did well with Amad and he is an excellent player. We have chosen badly in Burstow, he is not good enough.
Amad loved it here and we loved having him. It was a pleasure to watch him.
It wasn't a wasted opportunity at all It was an opportunity taken.

Last edited:

The difference being between Stansfiled and Simms was that Burstow was the cheaper option....

People need to wake up that its NOW, all about how cheap the Club can do things.

Didn't Stansfield simply choose somewhere closer to home, and Everton didn't want to loan Simms out?

Think you've just conspired Burstow being cheaper, I'd imagine the loan cost of a Chelsea player would be just as much, if not more, than that of a Fulham player. From what I can see online, we're paying a higher wage for Burstow than Birmingham are paying for Stansfield.

You might be right marra, however I remember Speakman saying he tried to get Amad right across the summer and failed at the last minute. I just couldn't see us bringing in Amad and Burstow...
Both would have come in as they don’t play in the same positions. However the amad deal just didn’t come off then or in January first because of injury and second because Man Utd didn’t play ball. Burstow will be signed in the summer no doubt.

I’m sure we all recall the story of how he was beaming in the final meeting before he left and how much he had not developed and enjoyed his time with us.
It was made clear that this was the biggest sign yet that the leading clubs in England would entrust Sunderland before others with their very best rising stars

So of all the young talent available the decision was made to target Mason Burstow

Anyone involved in that decision should be thrown in the river wear with concrete wellies on

I would love someone to explain to me the process and logic involved
I recall Speakman's interview with the Athletic saying Amad's experience might encourage other players to want to come here but always took this to be wishful thinking of fans. You know, chuck us a crumb and we'll knock up a plate of sandwiches.

Yeah the second bit - if he played every week for Man United they’d have world beater on their hands. They don’t seem to have a f***ing clue about it anarl!

He works hard, tracks back, he’s fantastic on the ball, wand of a left peg. He’s got the lot and they won’t pick him. Mental.

If Man Utd are aiming champions league places or higher which I'm sure they are Amad is not good enough for them. Decent enough but certainly not that level imo

Not sure there ever was an opportunity with Amad. Man U were unlikely to let him go cheap and even so, we probably couldn’t have afforded him. We did well with him here and Man U got a better player back.

The difference being between Stansfiled and Simms was that Burstow was the cheaper option....

People need to wake up that its NOW, all about how cheap the Club can do things.
Stansfield himself said it was down to location.
Didn't Stansfield simply choose somewhere closer to home, and Everton didn't want to loan Simms out?

Think you've just conspired Burstow being cheaper, I'd imagine the loan cost of a Chelsea player would be just as much, if not more, than that of a Fulham player. From what I can see online, we're paying a higher wage for Burstow than Birmingham are paying for Stansfield.

"I spoke to the gaffer [Birmingham boss John Eustace] and what he drills into the team and the way he likes to play suits me massively," said Stansfield. "Being in the middle of the country is close to London, close to home. I am quite a big family man and I like having my family around me, so it is perfect for them to be able to come up and watch the games and for me to be able to go home and see them still.

Last edited:
If Man Utd are aiming champions league places or higher which I'm sure they are Amad is not good enough for them. Decent enough but certainly not that level imo
Depends how they want to play. He’s very good in tight spaces and in combination with others and also shooting from distance. If they’re expecting to have a lot of the ball against a lower placed team, he’d be good.

He’s not a player you’d necessarily save for the CL final in their shoes, but you need players like him to play plenty of matches against certain types of teams

Yes, they may well have done/still done but its still all down to money mate....

I’m sure we all recall the story of how he was beaming in the final meeting before he left and how much he had not developed and enjoyed his time with us.
It was made clear that this was the biggest sign yet that the leading clubs in England would entrust Sunderland before others with their very best rising stars

So of all the young talent available the decision was made to target Mason Burstow

Anyone involved in that decision should be thrown in the river wear with concrete wellies on

Speakman & KLD not spending the money

Burstow has been shite, but he was that highly rated that Chelsea paid over a million quid for him. They also refused a direct sale and only agreed to a loan.

It hasn't really worked out and his time here has been very detrimental to his development, but that's a risk with young players.

Burstow has been shite, but he was that highly rated that Chelsea paid over a million quid for him. They also refused a direct sale and only agreed to a loan.

It hasn't really worked out and his time here has been very detrimental to his development, but that's a risk with young players.

Thank fuck they refused a sale.

Also, Clarke-Salter was the next John Terry, fuck Chelsea.

Did we not watch him and make our own minds up

Surely it would have taken 5 mins for anyone with a modicum of knowledge to see he hasn’t got it, or anything

Back