The Union Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 colours on the Union flag

Alright Tesco, settle down
But if the Flag of St David was added... they'd be at least a fourth colour.... and besides, it's been like 100 years or more since most of the Irish left the UK, so why is the St Patrick Cross still in the Union Flag?

But if the Flag of St David was added... they'd be at least a fourth colour.... and besides, it's been like 100 years or more since most of the Irish left the UK, so why is the St Patrick Cross still in the Union Flag?

Typed out a long answer to this, but really, the answer is simply: wales didn't have a flag when the original union flag was made. Despite northern Ireland not having an official flag, either of the ones used features st Patrick's saltire, and it incorporates nicely into the design of the union flag as does the scottish saltire giving us the red white and blue. Best not to tamper with perfection

Typed out a long answer to this, but really, the answer is simply: wales didn't have a flag when the original union flag was made. Despite northern Ireland not having an official flag, either of the ones used features st Patrick's saltire, and it incorporates nicely into the design of the union flag as does the scottish saltire giving us the red white and blue. Best not to tamper with perfection
Most Flags if not all are just made up anyway.... as it's mostly red and white, I'd stick with it.

Love it me.

But one thing that pisses me off ... if other countries’ flags were displayed in the ‘wrong’ colours there would be ructions. Eg get Ireland’s shades slightly off and you’ve got Italy. But people seem to think any old colour blue will be fine for ours and it’s often depicted in navy. It’s supposed to be ‘azure’ which is the same colour as Iceland’s. In fact I really like Iceland’s flag but you never see theirs in navy do you? (maybe but I don’t!)

So stop showing our flag in navy it’s meant to be royal blue.:evil:

Perhaps along with America it’s the most recognised flag in the world. None other like it, a work of art, compiled / evolved over time and sticks two fingers up at the taffs cos Wales was only ever a principality not a proper kingdom!

Logon or register to see this image
I prefer a flag that represents peace and love to all mankind

Love it me.

But one thing that pisses me off ... if other countries’ flags were displayed in the ‘wrong’ colours there would be ructions. Eg get Ireland’s shades slightly off and you’ve got Italy. But people seem to think any old colour blue will be fine for ours and it’s often depicted in navy. It’s supposed to be ‘azure’ which is the same colour as Iceland’s. In fact I really like Iceland’s flag but you never see theirs in navy do you? (maybe but I don’t!)

So stop showing our flag in navy it’s meant to be royal blue.:evil:

Perhaps along with America it’s the most recognised flag in the world. None other like it, a work of art, compiled / evolved over time and sticks two fingers up at the taffs cos Wales was only ever a principality not a proper kingdom!
I liked the union flag when it was done in the Jamaican colours for Trojan records.

Last edited:
those flags that are just bars of colour are shite. You never know one from the other..the union jack is good, the star spangled banner as well..Canada's maple leaf too, same with Japan..at least when you see them you know which country you're on about and don't hare to google the fuckers

Also, too many people who get things emblazoned across the union flag don't realise they have it upside down. I've seen this a few times.

The idea that it's only a union jack when flown in the bows of a warship is a recent idea. Parliament in 1908 decided that both Union Jack and Union Flag could be used as official terms and also stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”. It's well documented yet still argued about. Pointless really when half the people living under it don't even realise that it's asymmetrical. You often see it wrongly drawn, usually picturing the elements of the cross of St Patrick having 5 edges whereas all elements are quadrilateral. Even British Airways got it wrong on their planes.

I think it looks horrible but that opinion has nothing to do with what I think of The UK. I adore Northumberland, but I think the flag of Northumberland looks terrible too.

Will I look like a scratter tee if I take my England flag on holiday ( bearing in mind it’s the World Cup ) was thinking of walking around Puerto de la quesa with it around my shoulders on match day, then hanging it up in bar.

I would say 8/10 on the scrat scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back