The Union Jack

What about the good people who are proud of it as our national flag.
So you judge it on the morons, fuckin typical.

If you read my post properly that's not what I wrote. I dislike the way it has been adopted by morons. I didn't criticise the good people of the country.

Where did the Jack come from ?

Why not Tom or Dick or Harry or Mohammed ?
Bob Fox attributes it to Jack Crawford nailing his colours to the mast, although he has his tongue firmly in his cheek at the time as he introduces that song at his gigs.

Sorry like but ...

"It's official: We can call our flag the Union Jack

The chief vexillologist of the Flag Institute, who is just about the highest authority you can find in the flag world, has declared that, yes, we can after all call our national flag the Union Jack. In other words we can ignore know-all letter-writers who can always be relied upon to go into action every time the term "Union Jack" is broadcast or used in print.

Don't you realise, they say, that the term "Jack" should only ever be used at sea and that on dry land it should always be the Union flag? Well it seems not. Graham Bartram, who undertook research for the Flag Institute, has concluded that the terms Union Jack and Union flag have always been acceptable alternatives whether you are steaming out of Portsmouth on a frigate or hoisting it on the Houses of Parliament.

One of the important pieces of evidence is a 1902 Admiralty circular which declared the terms to be interchangeable: it made no difference whether you called it the Union Jack or the Union flag.

As for the theory that a Union Jack is only a Union Jack when flown at sea that is also faulty. It derives from the longest ablished use of the term "jack" for the bow flag of a ship.

Yet Buckingham Palace is unconvinced that this is how the flag got its name. Palace historians believe that the jack in the Union Jack may be a reference to King James I, who established the flag in a royal decree in 1606.

So there. Finally it seems we have managed to reclaim the Union Jack from decades of pedantry and political correctness."

It's a great Jack like. The Italians love the brand so much it's all over their clothing with really badly translated stock English phrases beneath it.

Sorry like but ...

"It's official: We can call our flag the Union Jack

The chief vexillologist of the Flag Institute, who is just about the highest authority you can find in the flag world, has declared that, yes, we can after all call our national flag the Union Jack. In other words we can ignore know-all letter-writers who can always be relied upon to go into action every time the term "Union Jack" is broadcast or used in print.
...snip...

It's been officially both the Union Flag and the Union Jack since an act of Parliament in 1908 following discussions in 1902, both terms being acceptable and interchangeable. People perpetuate the outdated "Jack while on the bows of a warship in port" myth. They'll catch up eventually. See post #54

Union flag, only union jack when flown at sea. Same thing though.

Great flag. Red white and blue, great colours, looks great when used for other things too. Scooters, Minis, Geri Halliwell's dress, Frank Maloney's suit, Pete Towneshend's jacket, those shirts from Tucci circa 2001, its fantastic

or Bowie’s coat on Earthling of course .

Back