The Space Shuttle That Fell To Earth

Thought it was good and very thought provoking. Seems NASA is typical of organisations everywhere, middle managers that don't want to listen to those underneath them or rock the boat. Unfortunately in this organisation it lead to seven people losing their lives.
I see the same in my industry. People are afraid to talk about issues that could cost money or time

Really interesting series. Tbh they were goosed regardless from the point of the incident. Yes they couldve and probably shouldve highlighted it, but they'd have just been telling the crew they were on borrowed time.

How could they have been saved? Spacewalk and try and fix it somehow?
they said they could have ripped stuff out of the inside to stuff the hole to make it more resistant to heat and change the angle of reentry away from the hole. or ask russia to try and send up an empty soyuz.
dont know how long they would have been able to stop up there while they tried to sort it out (air and water)
Columbias legacy - NASA always had another shuttle ready to launch if a similar incident occurred
Logon or register to see this image
they were saying the plan was 20 shuttle missions a year, almost fortnightly. even at the time they might have been able to get another shuttle ready in a month, which would mean an extra 13 days up there (they were up for 17 days anyway).
Eeerie as fuck the end of the second episode when you see the footage of the mission control when they realise something is amiss
they all start reporting sensors going off, then the tracking stops:cry:

Last edited:
I remember the same thing happened about 5 years after Columbia. (A quick Google shows It was endeavour). The crew had to inspect the tiles, I remember seeing the moment NASA told them and one the crew started kicking off saying how the hell have you allowed this to happen again after Columbia

There’s a similar documentary on Netflix about the Challenger disaster

Another one where it didn’t have to happen

Really interesting series. Tbh they were goosed regardless from the point of the incident. Yes they couldve and probably shouldve highlighted it, but they'd have just been telling the crew they were on borrowed time.

How could they have been saved? Spacewalk and try and fix it somehow?
If I'm not mistaken they said that they could have asked the Russians to send up another shuttle if they had known about it earlier?

Might be a fecking stupid question this but feck it.

They went in quarantine for a week prior to avoid an infection then were shaking hands, hugging every msn n his dog in the days before launch. How does that work?

If you like space stuff there is a BBC podcast called '13 minutes to the moon', well worth checking out. Excellent detail of the moon landing mission.

I had a colleague at work tell me he wasn't sure if the USA had been to the moon... BUT... he knew the photographs of men on the moon were definitely fake. He went on the explain that it was the shadows that gave it away, there are no shadows on the moon as the sun doesn't reach that far.

Fool me once NASA...

If you like space stuff there is a BBC podcast called '13 minutes to the moon', well worth checking out. Excellent detail of the moon landing mission.

I had a colleague at work tell me he wasn't sure if the USA had been to the moon... BUT... he knew the photographs of men on the moon were definitely fake. He went on the explain that it was the shadows that gave it away, there are no shadows on the moon as the sun doesn't reach that far.

Fool me once NASA...

That podcast absolutely gripped me. The second series was excellent too which I think was about a failed Apollo mission

The bits where people were describing how they felt they couldn't raise their concerns over what they felt were wrong decisions for fear of destroying their careers & whole livelihoods hit home with me. I worked for a couple of global companies & it was interesting experiencing the different cultures on display within work hierarchies. This doesn't surprise me in relation to how large US corporate structures work, and it can be a bit of an eye-opener when you come across these kinds of attitudes when you are used to feeling able to discuss any issues fairly openly in a work forum.
I vividly remember once when my boss's new American boss was visiting our office for the first time and we got the team together to meet him. During a discussion on some project I made some comments that contradicted my boss's plans - this was just normal procedure of kicking around ideas, as would be him telling me why we were going to do it his way. But my boss felt the need urgently to spell out to the senior ham shank that this sort of discussion was normal in the UK & I realised he was shit scared that his new boss would think he didn't have control of his team. I later went on to discover that the US guy was very much of the mind that when a manager says something he expected people to accept it and not talk back, or there would be consequences.

The bits where people were describing how they felt they couldn't raise their concerns over what they felt were wrong decisions for fear of destroying their careers & whole livelihoods hit home with me. I worked for a couple of global companies & it was interesting experiencing the different cultures on display within work hierarchies. This doesn't surprise me in relation to how large US corporate structures work, and it can be a bit of an eye-opener when you come across these kinds of attitudes when you are used to feeling able to discuss any issues fairly openly in a work forum.
I vividly remember once when my boss's new American boss was visiting our office for the first time and we got the team together to meet him. During a discussion on some project I made some comments that contradicted my boss's plans - this was just normal procedure of kicking around ideas, as would be him telling me why we were going to do it his way. But my boss felt the need urgently to spell out to the senior ham shank that this sort of discussion was normal in the UK & I realised he was shit scared that his new boss would think he didn't have control of his team. I later went on to discover that the US guy was very much of the mind that when a manager says something he expected people to accept it and not talk back, or there would be consequences.
Makes sense that post.

Thats why they have morons like bush, trump etc who’ve only ever had their arse kissed rather than being questioned.

I vividly remember once when my boss's new American boss was visiting our office for the first time and we got the team together to meet him. During a discussion on some project I made some comments that contradicted my boss's plans - this was just normal procedure of kicking around ideas, as would be him telling me why we were going to do it his way. But my boss felt the need urgently to spell out to the senior ham shank that this sort of discussion was normal in the UK & I realised he was shit scared that his new boss would think he didn't have control of his team. I later went on to discover that the US guy was very much of the mind that when a manager says something he ikexpected people to accept it and not talk back, or there would be consequences.
It seems like that's the sort of thing that's been going on at Boeing as well...

Just finished watching this. So sad what happened to them, especially after seeing all the footage of them and how excited they were to go on the mission.

Back