The Space Shuttle That Fell To Earth

Perhaps she should have done a bit of research before asking the question.

She was made to look a bit foolish and ill informed.

It wasn't the only time it happened either.

Seemed to just be the tone of the documentary. Attempting to hold people to account. Although unfortunately not at the appropriately senior level

The flight deck windows of Columbia are on display in the Kennedy Space Centre. The room they are in is so quiet, it's eerie. Seeing that in person I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with emotion.

Seemed to just be the tone of the documentary. Attempting to hold people to account. Although unfortunately not at the appropriately senior level
Not her job to hold people to account though.

She wasn't investigating a cover-up, the official investigation had already outlined the mistakes that were made.

She should have let the participants tell their stories rather than trying to tell it for them, which resulted in them having to repeatedly correct her misconceptions.

Seemed to be to scared to make a decision.

Similar thing happened with Challenger - one of the engineers new that shouldn’t be launched due to the cold but he couldn’t convince his boss to tell NASA it want safe to launch.
It’s a common theme with all 3 accidents NASA have had (Apollo 1, Challenger and Columbia) well worth reading Feynman’s account of his time on the challenger inquiry.

Thought it was good and very thought provoking. Seems NASA is typical of organisations everywhere, middle managers that don't want to listen to those underneath them or rock the boat. Unfortunately in this organisation it lead to seven people losing their lives.

Very good mini series by the beeb.

Heartbreaking watching the clips of the kid joke on with his mam on the videophone link though :(.

I enjoyed it. Even the wife did and she doesn’t normally like these kind of programs.

I remember the footage of it breaking up been shown of sky news probably within the hour of it happening.

Horrifying stuff and clearly assisted with the working culture of NASA.

Weird like someone else has said, had absolutely no recollection of this. Everyone remembers challenger in 86. Not least cos it fucked up children’s bbc! Like piper alpha and the zeebrugge ferry. Kids of the 80’s have these disasters in the memory due to the Scofe being binned off 😂 but aye didn’t remember this at all

Weird like someone else has said, had absolutely no recollection of this. Everyone remembers challenger in 86. Not least cos it fucked up children’s bbc! Like piper alpha and the zeebrugge ferry. Kids of the 80’s have these disasters in the memory due to the Scofe being binned off 😂 but aye didn’t remember this at all
Same here, I remember years ago someone mentioning the two shuttle crashes and I was like what two crashes, there was only one, the other was Apollo 13 not the shuttle. I've no idea why I don't remember it.

Really interesting series. Tbh they were goosed regardless from the point of the incident. Yes they couldve and probably shouldve highlighted it, but they'd have just been telling the crew they were on borrowed time.
Interesting watch.

Great interviews with the people involved.

To think if some had taken the incident more seriously there could have been a chance to save all on board.

How could they have been saved? Spacewalk and try and fix it somehow?

Last edited:
Very good mini series by the beeb.

Heartbreaking watching the clips of the kid joke on with his mam on the videophone link though :(.
And his father was obliged to say nothing of what he knew about the potential damage to the wing. He worked for NASA also.

Really interesting series. Tbh they were goosed regardless from the point of the incident. Yes they couldve and probably shouldve highlighted it, but they'd have just been telling the crew they were on borrowed time.

How could they have been saved? Spacewalk and try and fix it somehow?

It was suggested on the programme that the Russians might have been able to send help up or they might have been able to change the angle of re-entry so the damaged part of the wing didn’t endure the extreme temperatures it did.

It was suggested on the programme that the Russians might have been able to send help up or they might have been able to change the angle of re-entry so the damaged part of the wing didn’t endure the extreme temperatures it did.
Tbf when watching I thought they did take the angle of re entry into consideration.

NASA was very military in its approach mind, priority was the mission and its work once up there.

Last edited:

Back