The Sol plans, incase these got lost within the smb section...

The current SoL layout is limiting commercial and match day opportunities . The stadium needs extending outwards to widen the ridiculously narrow concourses.

Probably to do with sightlines from the rear seats and not being able to see the far end of the pitch with the roofline in the way.

Interesting point, never thought of that. Presumably the South Stand will be the same, if it's ever extended.

The current SoL layout is limiting commercial and match day opportunities . The stadium needs extending outwards to widen the ridiculously narrow concourses.
it does seem to be the major cock up especially given the wide open spaces around it - there are obviously standards and norms for this type of thing, I wonder if we just like pies and pints more than the norm ?

The narrow concourses are also partly down to the fact that the first 8 rows are below ground level. Whilst that saves costs on the exterior build, it also lessens the available space under the terraces (as it's mud).

The narrow concourses are also partly down to the fact that the first 8 rows are below ground level. Whilst that saves costs on the exterior build, it also lessens the available space under the terraces (as it's mud).
that doesn't alter the fact that you enter at ground level and there's loads of room all around the stadium

I found these pictures in a programme from around 1995 a few weeks ago, the original design of the stadium exterior. Interesting to see the original plan for the West Stand roof. Glad we changed it to what it is, the pics below are pretty much identical to Stoke, Derby and Boro from the outside:

Logon or register to see this image

It has nothing to do with the atmosphere. I've experienced better atmosphere's following the extension than prior to it.

In terms of consistent atmosphere perhaps but that was likely due to the stadium being new and the fact we had a great attacking team that scored goals. You can't stand still out of fear of not being able to fill a stadium during times when the team is not doing well.

We have potential to outgrow a 49k stadium.
Spot on! Leicester have shown the impact of success on growing their fan base.

Do you think it could ever happen ? Upgrade the ground to 63000 if demand needed the capacity ? Would be fantastic if we had the team to fill it.Was there for Man.City '73 game 63000 +.Roker Park.
My first game as a 9 yr old (uncle and cousin had flu so I got to go with my grandad as tickets had already been bought) kitted out in home made scarf and with a cup of Boris and a bag of crisps. Unfortunately both had recovered in time for the final so that was watched on tv.

My first game as a 9 yr old (uncle and cousin had flu so I got to go with my grandad as tickets had already been bought) kitted out in home made scarf and with a cup of Boris and a bag of crisps. Unfortunately both had recovered in time for the final so that was watched on tv.
It would not be my fav. drink, cup of Boris ! Nightmares now kicking in.
Mini-bars under the seats. Win Win.

Last edited:
It would not be my fav. drink, cup of Boris ! Nightmares now kicking in.

Mini-bars under the seats. Win Win.
Bloody autocorrect, clearly I have been ranting at the clown so long that Bovril is not to be found In my dictionary! :)

Having stayed at MK Dons and the Ageas Bowl in the last 12 months, the Hilton was built in the wrong place.

Last edited:
I found these pictures in a programme from around 1995 a few weeks ago, the original design of the stadium exterior. Interesting to see the original plan for the West Stand roof. Glad we changed it to what it is, the pics below are pretty much identical to Stoke, Derby and Boro from the outside:

Looking at the bottom elevation drawing the smaller bowl concourses are shown stepped outwards at the back. Even if this was just to house the turnstiles it would have still left more room in the concourse area.

Another thing to bear in mind is at Roker we all used to go straight to our spot in the stand not hang about underneath. So maybe they weren’t expect habits to change so much.

Back