The Sol plans, incase these got lost within the smb section...

What’s your thoughts on how it will look with the south stand extension? Hate the way the north stand does not match up with the concourse will the south stand be the same if it ever happens. Would be great to have it at 55k and cheap season tickets.

No. I worked on the proposed South Stand extension and it would not need to cut back in the same way the North Stand does as the access road at the South stand is much further back. Issue with the North Stand was the access road and the club not owning the land North of it (where the swiming pool is now), so could not move it.
I don't know how anyone could draw up those plans and not realise that the concourses were absolutely tiny compared to what they should be.

They were compliant with the guidelines at the time, green guide and building regulations. If you think ours are bad try the away end at Anfield.

This is down to the regulations as regardless of what anyone thinks, most developers (and I include SAFC in that term when building the stadium) are working to a budget and will construct the most cost effective (cheapest) solution, they can legally get away with. Building reg compliant is often used as some sort of advert. What it actually means is the minimum standard legally allowed.
Its the same as your car having an MOT does not mean its in mint condition or even safe, it just means it met a minimum standard on the day it was tested.

Last edited:
Has anyone been to Cardiffs ground before? Would love an away day in Wales if Covid allows (and obviously we go up, and they dont!) ... Fair few miles to travel by car/coach, has anyone flew down before?

Ive never once walked into that ground and thought”these concourse’s are far too narrow”

it’s the absolute last thing I would notice or even think about tbh.

Has anyone been to Cardiffs ground before? Would love an away day in Wales if Covid allows (and obviously we go up, and they dont!) ... Fair few miles to travel by car/coach, has anyone flew down before?

Yes and Cardiff is a fantastic city for a city break and hugely overlooked by people in our area. If you are bored with Edinburgh, York, Leeds, Manchester, London, then give Cardiff a try. I know its further away and takes a bit of effort to get there, but we were blown away when we went. Its a great city. Bristol in the same part of the world is well worth a look as well but I would give Cardiff the nod.

Yes and Cardiff is a fantastic city for a city break and hugely overlooked by people in our area. If you are bored with Edinburgh, York, Leeds, Manchester, London, then give Cardiff a try. I know its further away and takes a bit of effort to get there, but we were blown away when we went. Its a great city. Bristol in the same part of the world is well worth a look as well but I would give Cardiff the nod.
Never knew Cardiff was only 45 mins on the train from Bristol.

Got mates who full on cardiff fans - haven't seen them a while, so have been talking about a possible match up next season .. well - until Mic Mac arrive liked, they've drew 2, and won 5 on the bounce.. It'll be typical you watch... we'll go up (obvs), and they go up as well ... If we missed out in the playoffs, they would make the jump either..

All IFS and BUTS atm of course, but if it does happen, would you suggest Fri-Sun/Mon long weekend should it come off? Changes are one of the games will be bloody Tuesday night, which means 2 or 3 days off work if its the away one.

I looked at Flying from Potenland to Bristol, then train to Cardiff and vise versa, you can prob do it in 3.5/4 hours door to door. You can fly to Cardiff Airport but have to go via Dublin or The Dam! :eek:
PS: Its cheaper to fly/train with a child. Flying came back at £113 return for a single adult, with a under 15 it was £100 return

No. I worked on the proposed South Stand extension and it would not need to cut back in the same way the North Stand does as the access road at the South stand is much further back. Issue with the North Stand was the access road and the club not owning the land North of it (where the swiming pool is now), so could not move it.

They were compliant with the guidelines at the time, green guide and building regulations. If you think ours are bad try the away end at Anfield.

This is down to the regulations as regardless of what anyone thinks, most developers (and I include SAFC in that term when building the stadium) are working to a budget and will construct the most cost effective (cheapest) solution, they can legally get away with. Building reg compliant is often used as some sort of advert. What it actually means is the minimum standard legally allowed.
Its the same as your car having an MOT does not mean its in mint condition or even safe, it just means it met a minimum standard on the day it was tested.

No doubt you're right.

Frustrating none the less.

Ive never once walked into that ground and thought”these concourse’s are far too narrow”

it’s the absolute last thing I would notice or even think about tbh.

It’s when 75% of the crowd try to stand there at half time that the issue arrises. Yes perfectly fine to walk along when arriving.
All that’s needed are some areas where folks can stand out the cold for 15 minutes, maybe some marquee type structures, there’s plenty of pavement on east and south.
Or less kiosks, the food and beer is shite anyway:)

Sunderland is geographically disadvantaged - it’s not on a route to anywhere really. However COVID is going to change the way people work with lots of people able to work from home. This will likely result in a move from southern expensive places to the north which may well negate some of that disadvantage.
Extend the stadium now. This would create work and be a great statement of intent by KLD. It would raise the profile of the club globally and as said above it can be used for concerts etc. Drop ticket prices and with a bit of success it would get used.

Nottingham is great for a weekend away. I took a lass a couple of years ago and we had a great time .

A few interesting posts about the 73 Man City FA Cup replay...I was at the Maine Rd game (in the Kippax) and then got a ticket for the Roker End for the replay. I got myself a good spot close to where the Roker wrapped round to the Clock Stand, quite high up, and it was a fabulous view and a stunning atmosphere...my favourite night at Roker and a quite magnificent performance from the Lads.
Can't prove the official 51K attendance is not correct but it FELT like even more. Never heard the stadium as loud or as passionate before or since.

Here is my opinion on this matter and I am trying to take a balanced view. I noticed straight away that Cyril said that at Marseille they were handicapped with what they could do with the stadium as they didn’t own it and I wondered what exactly he meant. People don’t normally say things like that if they don’t have some sort of plan in place.
I don’t know what that plan is, it might be just the cameras and pitch etc. However if he is thinking of going large then a contrarian view would be to extend the stadium now while we are in the 3rd division as when the fans are allowed back into the stadium we could still fit in the 30,000 plus in no bother, we could just shuffle them into the premier concourse if any needed moving.

when completed we could charge £10 a ticket which would benefit our fan base financially and return the game to the working class. This in turn could attract more fans.

if I had the cash and knowing our fan base it would be a gamble worth taking.

Here is my opinion on this matter and I am trying to take a balanced view. I noticed straight away that Cyril said that at Marseille they were handicapped with what they could do with the stadium as they didn’t own it and I wondered what exactly he meant. People don’t normally say things like that if they don’t have some sort of plan in place.
I don’t know what that plan is, it might be just the cameras and pitch etc. However if he is thinking of going large then a contrarian view would be to extend the stadium now while we are in the 3rd division as when the fans are allowed back into the stadium we could still fit in the 30,000 plus in no bother, we could just shuffle them into the premier concourse if any needed moving.

when completed we could charge £10 a ticket which would benefit our fan base financially and return the game to the working class. This in turn could attract more fans.

if I had the cash and knowing our fan base it would be a gamble worth taking.

Aye, agree with that. Extend it now when you're not in a position to spend millions on new players. If there is any appetite for it whatsoever now may well be the time.

I live in Newport (4 years now) and I drive past Cardiffs ground most days with work. It looks canny from the outside. Swansea have a shit hole. Best ground down here is either the Principality or Scarletts rugby ground in Llanelli. If you're flying the airport is just outside of Barry and about 25 minutes from the City Centre. Cardiffs ground is in a bit of a rough area tbh.

Last edited:
At you sure that was the crowd total for that game?...I was 12 And in the fulwell most squashed I've ever been!but I thought it was 53 thousand.
According to the statcat record it states 51,782. I was there that night and ended up on the cinder track on the CS paddock as being a similar age to you couldn't see a thing in the Roker End. Ironically it also states that their was over 53,000 at the Luton quater final, I was in the Fulwell End for that and whilst chocka it didn't seem as many as the Man City game, just how I remember it like.

Back