The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Covid-21. Laughably bad. Worth watching it for the random yet ridiculous attempt at a deep south accent by some random
character. Well worth it's 1.5/10 scoring on Rotten tomatoes.

Babyteeth - 8/10 (Neflix)
A seriously ill schoolgirl falls for an all round wrong'un who ends up having a positive impact on her life. Odd, immersive and at times very powerful.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom - 6/10 (Netflix)
Taking place in one sweltering day in Chicago the titular Ma Rainey, played solidly by Viola Davis, the blues singer records a track whilst at odds with her record label and her band thrashes out their own issues. The late Chadwick Boseman really stands out here though on the whole probably not as engaging a film as I would have hoped.

Hi Lo Joe - 8/10 (Amazon Prime)
Joe and his long term girlfriend struggle to deal with his worsening depression, alcohol abuse and the lingering effects of a childhood trauma. Very, very well done. Intense, affecting, and accurate.

The Peanut Butter Falcon - 7/10 (Netflix)
Another nod for this one. Good hearted, touching comedy-drama.

The Rental - 5/10 (Amazon Prime)
Atmospheric enough to start out with and seemed to tease the possibility of a decent film happening at some point but it never transpires and ends up so generic and samey that I didn't really care what happened. Waste of a decent cast.

Big Time Adolescence - 7/10 (Amazon Prime)
Canny coming of age film about a 16 year old kid and his friendship with his the hapless older stoner waster type mate. Light and watchable but not without substance.

The Dig. About the Sutton Hoo digs. Slow, nowt groundbreaking, but enjoyable in a twee sort of way.

The Dig. Loved it actually. Really good performances all round. Ralph fiennes top notch like, really well filmed, brilliant cinematography.

A nice Netflix surprise.8/10

Just watching it now. Nice easy watching for a Saturday night. Mind you, I could watch Carey Mulligan in anything.

I don't live far from Sutton Hoo but I've never been.

Brain On Fire (2016) true story of Susannah Cahalan (played by Chloe Grace Moretz) who suddenly suffered from blackouts, seizures & erratic mood swings, which led to a misdiagnosis of bipolar and schizophrenia. She was eventually diagnosed with anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis a rare brain disease. Decent story and decent cast. 8/10

I Am Woman (2019) Biopic of singer Helen Reddy and the volat relationship she had with her second husband. I wasn’t that familiar with Reddy but really quite an enjoyable movie. 8/10

Hosts
3/10

Shite shite shite, like an x- rated version of dr who minus the often- decent storyline
Didn’t even finish it

Greenland.
Gerard Butler does the apocalypse.

imagine if 2012 was gritty and tense as fuck, and with gravel voiced Gerard in it. Was on the edge of my seat for most of it. Definitely worth a watch when it comes to Prime next month.

I normally hate disaster movies/10

Family Film night - Watched Twist, a sky original.....fuck off!!!

How can so many people come together and make such a poor excuse for a film? The writing is abysmal, the acting just as bad. It just stinks. It makes me angry that things like this get greenlit.

Shit dialogue, run around with a backing track and throw in a few FPS shots and repeat. At one point the two main characters who run away from everyone get cornered (well when I say cornered they are on an open street) by the two cops, what are they going to do to escape (run away again would be easiest way) No no no let’s just send 50 Deliveroo cyclists down the road for no f***ing reason to give them a chance to escape....🤬

Oh yes it’s loosely based around Oliver Twist and I mean loosely, it’s as loose as Katie Price’s vagina.

0/10 Twats it should be called

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back