The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Meg - Jason Statham has ran out of humans to fight so the writers decide to get him fighting an animal. Unfortunately, there's no living animal hard enough to beat Statham so to make it a closer fight, he gets to bray a dinosaur shark instead. 3/10

Above Suspicion
About an FBI agent who moves to a small town and tries to arrest the wronguns. Starring the wifey out of Game of Thrones with the dragons and the bloke out of Jackass

Was alright, a bit slow 6/10

The Outpost

Group of American soldiers in Afghanistan try to fight off a shit load of Taliban attacking their base. Got Clint Eastwood’s son in it.

Pretty much the same as all the other Americans under attack films, but watchable nevertheless. 6.5/10

Week off work film binge catchup,

Joker - thought this was tremendous, nothing like I expected, can’t stand superhero shite, this isn’t, it’s great, 10/10

Once upon a time in Hollywood - not his best but still decent, great last half hour, 7.5/10

A star is born - expected to turn this off sharpish, turns out it was pretty decent, very good acting, 8/10

Blackklansman - apart from the tacked on political bit at the end, excellent film, 8/10

Sorry we missed you - do like a bit of Loach, thought this was better than Daniel Blake, 8/10

Puzzle - just watched it for Kelly Macdonald, she’s great again in this, 7/10

The favourite - was ok, Coleman great, 7/10

Watched Legends of the Fall with Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins, for the first time in about twenty years. I thought it was a canny a film back then, but seeing it again, it's absolute dross. Pitt gives one of the worst performances I've ever seen. Awful, awful film: 2/10

The last few days have been slack at work, so...

The Grudge (2020)
3/10

Utter tosh

Cold Pursuit
7/10

A rewatch, Liam Neeson’s son gets killed by mistake, so he seeks revenge. Not the Taken style I thought it would be, quite darkly humorous

Mallrats
6/10

Daft mid-90’s childish comedy, packed with future big names

Fury
7/10

Another rewatch, Brad Pitt leads a tank column through 1945 germany against superior enemy firepower and armour. Very enjoyable

Aliens (director’s cut)
9/10

A favourite from my youth, got my mitts on this extended version with about 17 minutes extra footage. Well worth it.
Ellen Ripley awakens from a 57 year hypersleep, to find the distant planet LV-426, where she had her first alien encounter, has been colonised- and contact has been lost with them.
Iconic scenes, packed with big name actors, and intense action.
Love it

Cocaine Godmother
5.5/10

The story of Griselda Blanco, and her involvement in the cocaine trafficking blight of the USA in the 1980s.
This fillum wants to be Scarface or Narcos, but ends up looking like a cheaply shot made for telly flick. Catherine Zeta- Jones was ok in it like, and there’s plenty Colombian wads

Dawn of the Dead (1978)
9/10

A rewatch again, can’t really add much to this that hasn’t already been said. Tremendous movie
Good Time (Rpatz, batman, Netflix). Canny. 6/10

Antman and the wasp. Canny 6/10

Gravity. Meh 4/10
What, I loved this film

Last edited:
The bairn and I had movie night last night, his choice was Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle starring the Rock, Jack Black, Karen Gillan, Kevin Hart, Murray from Flight of the Conchords and one of the Jonas brothers. A canny film, funny in places but didn't enjoy it as much as the next one (which I'd watched a few months back) so I'd give it a 6.5/10 (the other one was a 7.5/10).

Rogue - 4/10 Megan Fox stars as a gun for hire caught between Islamic terrorists and a CGI lion.

Bill & Ted Face The Music. 9/10 brought a smile on a sad day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back