The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soft & Quiet
Bit of a festival darling earlier in the year. The premise had me. I’ve been dying to see this, and for the first half of a brief 1hr 38, I loved it. Awkward, tense uncomfortable discussions and falsities between a bunch of likeminded “neo nazi wannabe housewives”.

Then, and I should’ve known it being Blumhouse, they clearly felt the movie needed a destination. They were wrong. Very.

The one take shot (which apparently took 4 days to film) was done ok, if needless as it added nowt whatsoever.

Hats off to everyone for the first half. I’d give it a perfect 10/10 if that had continued. As it is, 5/10. Yip, it went that bad.
Smile

Christ :lol: they actually used the only good bit of the film in the trailer and poster. Seen it all before, much better, was f***ing shite. And the smile was just a gimmick barely used :lol: overall avoid like the plague. Watch It Follows instead.

Last edited:
Lost city - Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum , Daniel Radcliffe, enjoyably shite adventure comedy, 5/10, funny cameo from Brad Pitt.
Bullet Train - enjoyably shite action comedy, but better than LC. 7.5 /10, some more nice cameos.

The Thing - Still stands as one of the best sci-fi horrors around, actually watched it to confirm to myself it is - 8.5/10

The Abyss - The stepping stone to T2 in regards special effects, sits below Aliens and T2 from JC's prime (IMO), still a good outing, the directors cut can seem long, but once it heats up, time fly's - 7.75/10

All quiet in the western front - netflix 2022 version.

4 young Germans lads go to the front in ww1. Powerful, haunting and showing the horrors of that war in the trenches. Ffs.

Brilliantly filmed and great performance.

A stunning but sad 10/10 for me.

3 Million died In that western front trenches. For 100’s of mtrs here and there over a few year.

Enjoyed it, not a massive improvement on the original really but did like it more, the final battle led me to google.
While the German General is fictional, they included him as some Generals did intentionally carry out "glory" battles in the hours between signing the peace treaty and the actual Armistice hoping to be the man that won the final battle of the war. Over ten thousand casualties of which nearly three thousand died so some upper class toffs could have a cool anecdote when they got home. :evil:
Pray to the devil..exorcism movie not to bad 8/ 10 decent acting
Pray for the devil is what you are talking about, Pray to the devil is a slightly different film. ;)

Last edited:
Enjoyed it, not a massive improvement on the original really but did like it more, the final battle led me to google.
While the German General is fictional, they included him as some Generals did intentionally carry out "glory" battles in the hours between signing the peace treaty and the actual Armistice hoping to be the man that won the final battle of the war. Over ten thousand casualties of which nearly three thousand died so some upper class toffs could have a cool anecdote when they got home. :evil:

Pray for the devil is what you are talking about, Pray to the devil is a slightly different film. ;)
Aye

1900 (Novocento), cracking film when you have a spare five or so hours.
In these days of binging boxsets it should be a piece of cake.

Follows two men (De Niro and Depardieu) born in the same small town in 1900 Italy and runs through to the end of WW2.
De Niro born into wealth and Depardieu born into poverty.
(Italian with English subs).

The Thing - Still stands as one of the best sci-fi horrors around, actually watched it to confirm to myself it is - 8.5/10

The Abyss - The stepping stone to T2 in regards special effects, sits below Aliens and T2 from JC's prime (IMO), still a good outing, the directors cut can seem long, but once it heats up, time fly's - 7.75/10
The thing is excellent . Have you seen the prequel one from 2011? Not as good but tells the story of what happened prior to the dog escaping which you see in the original open credits . Must have been a straight to dvd as I didn't even know it existed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back