The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copshop, canny little movie about a conman deliberately getting arrested to avoid being killed, but his assassin does the same. Plays well for half the movie then turns all Tarantino, entertaining nonetheless.

Any token whites in there?. Wouldn't get made if it were the other way around.
Telling the story of black people in the west which people seem to forget..Think its also a message to get that sort of reaction. When did you see a black man in Old westerns.. works both ways

I know, the underrepresentation of white people in films is a disgrace. All the other films featuring the dozens of real life black characters of the Wild West had much more racially balanced casts, like er...

And um...

And uh,

Yeah, all of them
I can understand equality, but to go the polat opposite just to get a few more critical responses and look ins. Seems to be the thing now to rid the world of whites in tv ads, movies etc. Just waiting for the change of Santa....

Finch.....yawn. Overly sentimental and little happens.
Finch was a good idea to make as all you had to do was film Tom Hanks in a camper van for two and a half hours

As a film it’s okay I guess. Like you say nowt really happens

You turn up for a post apocalyptic robot movie and get a father/son road trip instead

Any token whites in there?. Wouldn't get made if it were the other way around.
There was actually quite a lot of black people around in the early 1800s. Being a cowboy was a really popular job with people formerly in the slave trade. Something like 30% of Texan migrants back then were black.
They Live
8/10
Class first half. Roddy Piper was mint. Ran out of ideas 2nd half.
Shoot out at the end in the tv studio is ridiculous although I do like the film mind.

Venom: There will be Carnage 2021
6/10
Watched this whilst doing the ironing, pretty good and at some points witty, but, there was no real storyline.
It seems it was just to introduce a character and promote the anti hero that is now popular due to Wolverine and Deadpool
Venom: Let There Be Carnage - Just as daft as the first one, and entertaining enough. I can't help but feel though that there's actually a decent film to be had here if they just went full on buddy movie with it and played it as an all out comedy. The Eddie/ Venom exchanges, like in the first are what makes it so watchable.
6/10

Halloween Kills - Michael Myers is probably the most hardcore he's ever been, but unfortunately this is at the expense of tension, scares and anything resembling a plot. Loads of filler as you just wait for Michael to go from one, admittedly entertaining, rampage to the next. It's a fun enough slasher movie though and worth a look for fans of the franchise. Carpenters score as always, is a treat to hear in the cinema.
6/10
Totally agree with Venom.
Great minds. 👍

Last edited:
Dune (1984). Thought I'd watch this again for the first time in a good while in preparation for the new one. Always had a soft spot for this film despite its flaws. Watched the Spicediver edit which is a fan reconstructed version that runs for 3 hours, and it definitely improved it over the bodged theatrical cut. It's still a mess mind, but a fascinating one to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back