The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple more:

Minari (2020) - saw on a plane

Koren family moves to Kansas to set up a farm, struggle to adjust. Grandmother moves in, clash of cultures ensues. Deep story, well told, 9/10

Promising Young Woman (2020) - plane

A woman pretends to be mortal to get picked up by predators, then gives them a nasty surprise. She's avenging a friend, and goes on to attack those involved. Great premise and story, let down by a far-fetched conclusion. 7/10
I really liked Promising Young Woman, 9/10 for me. The typical 'nice guys' were very well cast.

I see your point about the conclusion. I read they were originally going to end it after the stag do scene, but added more to the end.

Rear Window (1954) - 8.32875/10

First time I've watched this since I was a kid. Great stuff, though I'm not sure if the first half an hour or so could be edited down. Not sure if the exposition with their relationship really adds much to the story. Some dodgy special effects, but the courtyard set and the cinematography are fvcking gorgeous (Grace Kelly and 'Miss Torso' aren't bad either 😉 )

I kind of remembered how it ended which was a bit of a pisser - I'd love to be able to watch it again for the first time. I'm not sure how it would come over to a modern audience mind - people stare at their phones or screens nowadays, not out tha windaz.

Dune

9/10

Others on here have said it better but I was blown away. See it on the biggest screen you can - you'll lose loads by watching it on a small screen

Dune.
Really enjoyed this, a thinking mans Space 1999.
Oliver Reeds last filum and plays a crackin part as the sand people's leader, with Jonjo Shelvey playing the bad bastard as usual (but without the Hollywood passes).

8/10

The Night House
Decent acting by the lead character and keeps you interested throughout. Shame about the storyline, starts off good and keeps you guessing before becoming a bit of a mess.

6/10

A Quiet Place 2
Love these films, really well made and superbly acted. Cillian Murphy in this one, superb
Just enough scary bits without going OTT, left open again for a 3rd episode I think
8.5/10
I enjoyed this, watched it last night. Rating too high for me though. A lot of the action and suspense was based around the kids being complete idiots making ridiculous decisions. That was after a year and a half living with the aliens, writing should have been better. Agree also re a 3rd one though, plenty of options on moving the story and the fightback forward.

Free Guy
Ready Player One meets The Truman Show with a dash of They Live, resulting in a film that's not a patch on any of them.
5/10.

Late to the party but I watched that Sorry We Missed You film by Ken Loach the other day. It was like an amateur dramatics version of Byker Grove or a Vic & Bob sketch. Makes PJ and Duncan look like Robert de Niro and John Cazale.

Such condescending, patronising tripe.

3/10. 2 of those marks for the personal interest of being set in locations that I frequently drive past.

Week one off work with the covid…some rewatched and some I’d not seen before

The Guilty
Decent 7/10

Street Kings
An older one that was canny 7/10

The Forgotten Battle
Enjoyed it 7.5/10

Dream Horse
Reminded me of the British comedies of the 90s, enjoyed it 8/10

Too Soon
Documentary so might not be allowed on here. About how soon comedians could joke about 9/11. Watchable 6.5/10

Free Guy
Not by cup of tea but passed a couple of hours in between kips. 6/10

Going In Style
Enjoyed it. 7.5/10

Full Monty
7.5/10

Saving Private Ryan
9/10

Shock and Awe
Could have been better. 6.5/20

Zero Dark Thirty
8/10

Chaos
Not bad for a Statham film. 7/10

The Talented Mr Ripley
Don’t get the hype on this. 6/10

No Time To Die, finally watched at the cinema. Really enjoyed it, not a typical Bond movie and loads of references to older movies in there. Wasn't convinced with Malik at all but really enjoyed the big baddie island base and that sequence. Looking forward to a rewatch and spotting more references.
I sort of hope the next film will be more of a simple, old fashioned Bond against a baddie movie with lots of gadgets, one liners and much more Ana De Armas.

Free Guy
Ready Player One meets The Truman Show with a dash of They Live, resulting in a film that's not a patch on any of them.
5/10.
I thought it was
Week one off work with the covid…some rewatched and some I’d not seen before

The Guilty
Decent 7/10

Street Kings
An older one that was canny 7/10

The Forgotten Battle
Enjoyed it 7.5/10

Dream Horse
Reminded me of the British comedies of the 90s, enjoyed it 8/10

Too Soon
Documentary so might not be allowed on here. About how soon comedians could joke about 9/11. Watchable 6.5/10

Free Guy
Not by cup of tea but passed a couple of hours in between kips. 6/10

Going In Style
Enjoyed it. 7.5/10

Full Monty
7.5/10

Saving Private Ryan
9/10

Shock and Awe
Could have been better. 6.5/20

Zero Dark Thirty
8/10

Chaos
Not bad for a Statham film. 7/10

The Talented Mr Ripley
Don’t get the hype on this. 6/10
Dream horse really enjoyed that movie. Feel good movie
No Time To Die, finally watched at the cinema. Really enjoyed it, not a typical Bond movie and loads of references to older movies in there. Wasn't convinced with Malik at all but really enjoyed the big baddie island base and that sequence. Looking forward to a rewatch and spotting more references.
I sort of hope the next film will be more of a simple, old fashioned Bond against a baddie movie with lots of gadgets, one liners and much more Ana De Armas.
Yeah malik wasn't the best but glad we are getting a new bond as Craig not your typical bond.. Tom hiddleston would be my choice

Last edited:
Halloween kills - 5/10

not my choice like but tis the season for em.

Constantly infuriating, multiple opportunities to kill the decker and not one taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back