The saying ‘Six and Two Threes’

Me nana used to say the “play war wi ya” phrase when I’d did something naughty. It’s over 30 odd years since I heard it so thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories of her and that phrase.
She was Sunderland born and bred so that couldn’t of just been a phrase in York.
me mother still uses it, but it's Holy War

@Cox Green Fc just coined a new one:

"Corn beef and Corned Beef"

Its got legs I reckon ...
Eh?
Me nana used to say the “play war wi ya” phrase when I’d did something naughty. It’s over 30 odd years since I heard it so thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories of her and that phrase.
She was Sunderland born and bred so that couldn’t of just been a phrase in York.
My nanna did too, she was from Howdon.

Is this saying a north east thing? Just read sumit saying it’s a purely north east saying. Shirley not?

I was laughed at for saying it in the capital city of England which shall not be named, and corrected with 'six of one...'.

Had no idea it was colloquial until then.
Didn't realise the saying "you'll get wrong" isn't used all over. Mainly seems to be a North East thing

Had to explain what this meant to a lad who had just started at my school having moved up from Essex. It blew my mind, it was as if he was from Mars.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, or not, I tried to explain "worky ticket" to a group of young lads with very patchy English at work today. Without success. Doubtless they were thinking what's this daft c*nt on about?

Didn't realise the saying "you'll get wrong" isn't used all over. Mainly seems to be a North East thing

The first time I lived abroad, (Turkey, back in the early 90s) I used the phrase several times and people looked at me like I had two heads.
"You got what wrong?"

"Nah, I just got wrong."

Quickly realised it was just a regional thing and that it actually makes very little sense. :lol: Still use it, like.

Similarly, "are you coming wi' wu?" and are you coming wir uz? " doesn't translate very well, either, I learned.
As a plural, it translated as, "are you coming with we?"
and the singular, rather than I, is "uz" or "us", effectively.

Makes perfect sense to me, but to others, not au fait with our dialectal quirks: not so much.

F*ck em, though. I talk how I talk. It's their problem.

Well I didn't know this. Also didn't realise you'll get wrong wasn't nationwide either. :lol: My girlfriend says she can't understand me some of the time and it's starting to make more sense now.

Went on an Aus tv show and the hostess says " Where's your accent from?"
I just looked at her so dead pan and said "What accent?"
Look on her face was priceless.

The first time I lived abroad, (Turkey, back in the early 90s) I used the phrase several times and people looked at me like I had two heads.
"You got what wrong?"

"Nah, I just got wrong."

Quickly realised it was just a regional thing and that it actually makes very little sense. :lol: Still use it, like.

Similarly, "are you coming wi' wu?" and are you coming wir uz? " doesn't translate very well, either, I learned.
As a plural, it translated as, "are you coming with we?"
and the singular, rather than I, is "uz" or "us", effectively.

Makes perfect sense to me, but to others, not au fait with our dialectal quirks: not so much.

F*ck em, though. I talk how I talk. It's their problem.

"wu" instead of "us" is mag talk mind.

I've always said "six and two threes" but I think "six of one..." is more common. I just think it's too long winded and prefer the shorter version.

Back