The saying ‘Six and Two Threes’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always said it as sixes two threes as in "six is two threes"
Dunno where the "and" comes from, although is probably from
"Six and two threes are the same".

Didn't realise the saying "you'll get wrong" isn't used all over. Mainly seems to be a North East thing

Me too. I said “I’d get wrong off me Mam” to Mrs Kaplan once (she’s not from the NE) and had to explain it. Funny how you never think of these things but it actually doesn’t make any sense.

Mrs Kaplan was also astounded when she first heard my Mam say “Man, woman, man” (as in “haddaway, man woman man“ if you know what I mean)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was astonished when I found that people outside the North East didn't use "get wrong". Absolutely flabbergasted. It's an expression you hear all the time here when you're a kid so when I left the area at 18 I had just assumed it was standard English.
Its good to get out of the area for a few years when you're about that age, living in just one place can give you a very narrow view of the world.

Even just somewhere else in England will open your mind that not everything is how you think it is.

Didn't realise the saying "you'll get wrong" isn't used all over. Mainly seems to be a North East thing
Or in Ashington and the like... ‘I’ll give you wrong’ as in telling a child they’re going to get told off

And ‘afore’ instead of ‘before’

Freaks (or at least the lad I work with is)

Yeah I hadn't heard it until I moved here . In York it was " they will play war with you" which I haven't heard elsewhere.
Workyticket was another new one on me

Me nana used to say the “play war wi ya” phrase when I’d did something naughty. It’s over 30 odd years since I heard it so thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories of her and that phrase.
She was Sunderland born and bred so that couldn’t of just been a phrase in York.

Its good to get out of the area for a few years when you're about that age, living in just one place can give you a very narrow view of the world.

Even just somewhere else in England will open your mind that not everything is how you think it is.
Naaah. It’s gods own country up there. Any young footballer staring down the both barrels of millionairedom would be mad to want to live anywhere else cos we’ve got shops and countryside and the weathers the same and it’s not a cess pit etc.

Me too. I said “I’d get wrong off me Mam” to Mrs Kaplan once (she’s not from the NE) and had to explain it. Funny how you never think of these things but it actually doesn’t make any sense.

Mrs Kaplan was also astounded when she first heard my Mam say “Man, woman, man” (as in “haddaway, man woman man“ if you know what I mean)

This is another one you’ve made me remember. When I told a lie to my nana or just something she didn’t agree with and she didn’t believe me she used to say “ ahh haddaway n shite” 🤣
Never used "Cheap at half the price" myself.

Cos it’s “cheap as chips”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back