The Rings Of Power

I’ve read through this thread and it’s interesting reading. I enjoyed Rings of Power but a mate of mine hated it. I couldn’t convince him at all that it had any merit. I didn’t find much to be offended by, but it seems to elicit some strong reactions in those who don’t like it.

Some of the writing was pretty poor, but on the whole, I looked forward to every episode and liked some of the set pieces/reveals. The dwarf/elf scenes were great, and despite the fact that her character was so different from the Cate Blanchett iteration, I found Morfydd Clark to be very good. I’m perplexed by the ‘wooden’ comments, but that doesn’t matter. Maybe my opinion is coloured by that fact that she’s really attractive.

I just thoroughly enjoyed spending time in that world again, so I was happy to overlook a lot of the justified criticisms. I thought I read about the show runner saying that they’d learnt from criticisms, so hopefully it’ll address those in the second season, and become more watchable for those who are fans, but hate it.

Erik Kain, is, in my view, a tedious runt who sucks the joy out of anything he watches with a load of sneering arrogant asides. The only slack I’ll cut him is that he gave Godzilla Minus One an excellent review.

Bit of both, as would be expected. They arent going to make a TV series if it only appealed to the big Tolkien fans as they just wouldnt get the viewers and it wouldnt be affordable. I think they struck a decent balance.
Works the other way though don't it. Actually make it for fans of it and they will get behind it and give it a massive boost to non fansm

The people who will watch anything will watch anyway as they have no expectations.

Pander to a specific small audience and you will get the actual fans boycott it and give it mass amounts of negative shite online (usually justifiably) and then the non fans see this and thick fuck that shite whilst the ones they pander to do t even care enough to watch it anyway.

It's why all these companies are in massive loss making projects across the board now. The only one that's pulled it off is House of the Dragon that did pander a bit but because the writing was good and based on the book no one acted and it was a hit.

Rings of Power - Flop
Marvel since Endgame - Flop
DC - Flop
Star Wars - Flop
The Witcher - Flop
Disney remakes - Flop
Indiana Jones - Flop
Ghostbusters (2016) - Flop
The Matrix - Flop
Terminator - Flop
Resident Evil - Flop
Scooby Doo - Flop
He Man - Flop

The list goes on. Disney even admitted that their political attempts at brainwashing people had resulted in them flopping heavily in 2023. It's absolutely bizarre but most of these companies assumably have that much money they don't care about losing it.

I stand by 5/10 and should have used the money to make Thomas Covenant where they could have woked the shit out of it and not annoyed any fans.

Works the other way though don't it. Actually make it for fans of it and they will get behind it and give it a massive boost to non fansm

The people who will watch anything will watch anyway as they have no expectations.

Pander to a specific small audience and you will get the actual fans boycott it and give it mass amounts of negative shite online (usually justifiably) and then the non fans see this and thick fuck that shite whilst the ones they pander to do t even care enough to watch it anyway.

It's why all these companies are in massive loss making projects across the board now. The only one that's pulled it off is House of the Dragon that did pander a bit but because the writing was good and based on the book no one acted and it was a hit.

Rings of Power - Flop
DC - Flop
Star Wars - Flop
The Witcher - Flop
Disney remakes - Flop
Indiana Jones - Flop
The Matrix - Flop
Terminator - Flop
Resident Evil - Flop
Scooby Doo - Flop
He Man - Flop

The list goes on. Disney even admitted that their political attempts at brainwashing people had resulted in them flopping heavily in 2023. It's absolutely bizarre but most of these companies assumably have that much money they don't care about losing it.
My issue is they forget about the god damn story and acting! This is EXACTLY what happens when greedy fucks who have NO talent are invloved. They fucked over so many bands for decades, yours and my favourite bands..i hate those gunts.

Did anyone complain that Sigourney Weaver was the main actor in Aliens? I don't recall that either...

Rings of Power - Flop
DC - Flop
Star Wars - Flop
The Witcher - Flop
Disney remakes - Flop
Indiana Jones - Flop
The Matrix - Flop
Terminator - Flop
Resident Evil - Flop
Scooby Doo - Flop
He Man - Flop

Take the claims of financial flops with a pinch of salt. For the most part, they'll usually at least break even.

They did exactly the same with the films. They made changes which some fans hated but were necessary.

Add into the fact that the series was episodic so they had to have cliffhangers and mystery elements to keep people watching.
Complete utter nonsense nothing what so ever like the films, some things were changed yes but the respect to the source material was clearly there and had the essence and ethos of Tolkiens works. They were loved and enjoyed by fans and casuals and were also massively successful. The writers of the show clearly couldn't give a crap about any of that and think they know best.

How anyone thought rings of power was good is beyond me. Take out the lotr setting and judging it as it is, it is still terrible. The whole thing was a mess. Dialogue, costumes, characters all awful. Some of the fighting scenes too, i've watched some videos breaking down the complete stupidity of some of the fight scenes and it is crazy to me people looked at it and said yeh this is great. To each their own but it is definitely a failure of a show.

How anyone thought rings of power was good is beyond me. Take out the lotr setting and judging it as it is, it is still terrible. The whole thing was a mess. Dialogue, costumes, characters all awful. Some of the fighting scenes too, i've watched some videos breaking down the complete stupidity of some of the fight scenes and it is crazy to me people looked at it and said yeh this is great. To each their own but it is definitely a failure of a show.
Some people just accept any old crap and are unable to think for themselves. No wonder the stand of movies/tv is dropping they can put out any old shite.

Some people just accept any old crap and are unable to think for themselves. No wonder the stand of movies/tv is dropping they can put out any old shite.
On this thread you’ve admitted you’re partly jumping on every positive comment to hopefully stop someone from watching this show.

In the above post you’ve complained people aren’t able to think for themselves.

Hypocrite.

Complete utter nonsense nothing what so ever like the films, some things were changed yes but the respect to the source material was clearly there and had the essence and ethos of Tolkiens works. They were loved and enjoyed by fans and casuals and were also massively successful. The writers of the show clearly couldn't give a crap about any of that and think they know best.
I'm not sure he'd be happy with changing his dwarves and hobbits into comedy figures mind 🤔 What respect was lacking in Rings of Power btw?

On this thread you’ve admitted you’re partly jumping on every positive comment to hopefully stop someone from watching this show.

In the above post you’ve complained people aren’t able to think for themselves.

Hypocrite.

I doubt Vinnie and his pals have watched a video without captions or a shouty presenter telling them how to think for themselves

Tolkien would have hated the films as much as the TV show mate.

If anything I think the TV show is closer to the source material as the Silmarillion is the proper stuff which ROP references back to a lot.

Take the claims of financial flops with a pinch of salt. For the most part, they'll usually at least break even.
Maybes eventually down the line but some aren't. Like the amount spent on say The Marvel's probably would be a financial flop cause it looked awful and even their target audience didn't want to see it. Add in the actresses taking benny radges on the audience and it's probably true otherwise they would be smug.

Rings of Power is 100% running a huge loss, amount spent on it and how much if a joke it was and that it lost over 70% of it's audience over the course of the series. I mean, it was so expensive even if it had been a hit it would have been tough to break even. It won't now but it's Amazon so it doesn't matter.

Disney came out and said that Little Mermaid and The Marvel's lost money, nearly a billion in 2023 though GOTG3 did make some back as it was the only hit they had. Think that Secret Wars was a massive flop on the TV side as well and of course they are now doubling down with Echo that will also flop. They have said they expect Snow White to flop and have basically given up on it.

DC basically admitted that they've given up on Aquaman as well and barely advertised it. This was after The Flash flopped which wasn't a surprise considering how much they spent on it and then had to push a nonce as the main selling point.

The main thing they have going is these companies are owned by bigger companies that have multi-billions but even they will get sick of they are spunking money at this rate.

Last edited:
Maybes eventually down the line but some aren't. Like the amount spent on say The Marvel's probably would be a financial flop cause it looked awful and even their target audience didn't want to see it. Add in the actresses taking benny radges on the audience and it's probably true otherwise they would be smug.

Rings of Power is 100% running a huge loss, amount spent on it and how much if a joke it was and that it lost over 70% of it's audience over the course of the series. I mean, it was so expensive even if it had been a hit it would have been tough to break even. It won't now but it's Amazon so it doesn't matter.

Disney came out and said that Little Mermaid and The Marvel's lost money, nearly a billion in 2023 though GOTG3 did make some back as it was the only hit they had. Think that Secret Wars was a massive flop on the TV side as well and of course they are now doubling down with Echo that will also flop. They have said they expect Snow White to flop and have basically given up on it.

DC basically admitted that they've given up on Aquaman as well and barely advertised it. This was after The Flash flopped which wasn't a surprise considering how much they spent on it and then had to push a nonce as the main selling point.

The main thing they have going is these companies are owned by bigger companies that have multi-billions but even they will get sick of they are spunking money at this rate.
You are taking things too literally. The costs are often exaggerated as are the losses. It's all part of the Hollywood magic. Box Office productions in general aren't exactly great profit makers in the grand scheme of things(even though a big thing is made of it) Streaming is a much better profit maker. Even those films that flop will break as they fall through the tiers. They've been taking the piss for years.

You are taking things too literally. The costs are often exaggerated as are the losses. It's all part of the Hollywood magic. Box Office productions in general aren't exactly great profit makers in the grand scheme of things(even though a big thing is made of it) Streaming is a much better profit maker. Even those films that flop will break as they fall through the tiers. They've been taking the piss for years.
Why would they pretend to exaggerated the losses, all that does is make less people watch them as they are considered shite.

Sure they will make some up on streaming but the streaming platforms seem to not be doing amazing for a lot of them either. Market has become ultra competitive and illegal streaming is easier than ever to do.

Why would they pretend to exaggerated the losses, all that does is make less people watch them as they are considered shite.

Sure they will make some up on streaming but the streaming platforms seem to not be doing amazing for a lot of them either. Market has become ultra competitive and illegal streaming is easier than ever to do.
As I said they'll make a thing of box office losses but won't mention the money they get over time from other tiers. Streaming films makes more cash than box office returns. Illegal downloads have been happening for years it's not new and also again the losses to illegal streaming are exaggerated.

As I said they'll make a thing of box office losses but won't mention the money they get over time from other tiers. Streaming films makes more cash than box office returns. Illegal downloads have been happening for years it's not new and also again the losses to illegal streaming are exaggerated.
I'm not buying that tbh.

Let's take Disney Plus as an example, it runs at a loss and has already lost 11 billion since it's Inception. No one is subscribing to Disney Plus to watch The Marvel's, Secret Wars, Andor or most of these flopping movies/TV shows alone so they are still flops unless they are going to bring something to the table.

Now, I'm sure between BlackRock and Vanguard they will have some clever tricks up their sleeve to write those losses off but that still doesn't change the fact that the films or shows flipped and failed to make a profit.

Again with Amazon Rings of Power is 100% a loss making exercise. They have enough money to soak it up and people will buy Prime for the delivery service more than anything else. Still doesn't mean anyone is buying Prime to solely watched RoP and it will remain a flop until it ends.

Other stuff like He Man etc really depends on how much money Netflix is willing to pay for them but if they aren't doing numbers then Netflix will cut the funding for them as ultimately they don't wanna lose money bankrolling something that isn't bringing anything to the table.

I'm not buying that tbh.

Let's take Disney Plus as an example, it runs at a loss and has already lost 11 billion since it's Inception. No one is subscribing to Disney Plus to watch The Marvel's, Secret Wars, Andor or most of these flopping movies/TV shows alone so they are still flops unless they are going to bring something to the table.

Now, I'm sure between BlackRock and Vanguard they will have some clever tricks up their sleeve to write those losses off but that still doesn't change the fact that the films or shows flipped and failed to make a profit.

Again with Amazon Rings of Power is 100% a loss making exercise. They have enough money to soak it up and people will buy Prime for the delivery service more than anything else. Still doesn't mean anyone is buying Prime to solely watched RoP and it will remain a flop until it ends.

Other stuff like He Man etc really depends on how much money Netflix is willing to pay for them but if they aren't doing numbers then Netflix will cut the funding for them as ultimately they don't wanna lose money bankrolling something that isn't bringing anything to the table.
Not really the same thing though. These are streaming services rather than just films being distributed over streaming. According to its Wiki entry Disney + has 150 million subscribers, so there must be more to their losses than just outright content to subscription numbers.

As far as Rings of Power goes, don't you think its budget could have been greatly exaggerated?

I thought it was ok and something to watch with my daughter after the youngest has gone to bed. Some bits good, some a bit crap.

I think the telling thing is I had not thought much more about it until I saw this thread bumped.

Back