The Rings Of Power

I'll give it a blast at somepoint over the weekend. Reviews for it aren't coming in very favourable so far, seems to be that it looks amazing but has no soul to it (writing, story, acting).

I'll give it a blast at somepoint over the weekend. Reviews for it aren't coming in very favourable so far, seems to be that it looks amazing but has no soul to it (writing, story, acting).

It’s going to be impossible to get the same feel as the films, but hopefully enjoyable for what it is.

Books > Films and I suspect the TV series will be lesser again but we're talking about really high standards here.

Amazon can't afford this to be a flop...they over a billion dollars into it and counting

Seems to be a lot of negative reviews from people who are deep into the books and expected it to remain accurate to them.
These people will always be disappointed with TV adaptations.
This is definitely a major problem but if you're going to sink a billion pound into it then the smart thing to do is stick as close to the source material as possible, that way you get the book people on side and the casual fans don't know any better so won't give a fuck anyway.

It's not like they haven't had fair warning, GOTs was talked off as the best series ever (or in the argument) when it was following the books and then the more it veered away from them the bigger a shitfeat it got and is now seen as a bit of joke series due to how bad it got.

Amazon should have played this safe and then if massively successful it would give them more free reign on further adaptions. Splitting your fanbase before it comes out is always gonna be disastrous.

We'll see though, if the writing is good and the story and actors can suck people in then it might win round but just looking amazing, great cinematography only gets you so far.

Visually very nice to look at but thats about it. On the book comparison side, look there is not a huge amount of material on the Second age for them to play with. However, against what little there is they are completely in conflict with it. Basically it is a generic fantasy series that has used names/places from Tolkien's work. It does not follow any of the appendices (which is what they have the rights too) in terms of events. It changes what little is actually written about the characters so its pretty bad on that front.

If i were to strip away the Tolkien branding and consider it as a generic fantasy series, its pretty average. Some silly story elements which make no sense, some very bad accents, bad acting and very forced dialogue (as if they are trying to make it sound like Tolkien but really overdoing it). House of the Dragon is a hundred times better as a fantasy show so far.

Their PR has been a lesson in not what to do as well, everythin they have released has been awful and led to backlash, could have been handled much better.

I mean the superfans who clearly hadn't read any Tolkein 🤦🤣

It's not like they haven't had fair warning, GOTs was talked off as the best series ever (or in the argument) when it was following the books and then the more it veered away from them the bigger a shitfeat it got and is now seen as a bit of joke series due to how bad it got.

That’s a very good point. Was an instant downturn when GoT passed the books. The build up of tension couldn’t be replicated, but that’s where good authors show their worth.

Visually very nice to look at but thats about it. On the book comparison side, look there is not a huge amount of material on the Second age for them to play with. However, against what little there is they are completely in conflict with it. Basically it is a generic fantasy series that has used names/places from Tolkien's work. It does not follow any of the appendices (which is what they have the rights too) in terms of events. It changes what little is actually written about the characters so its pretty bad on that front.

If i were to strip away the Tolkien branding and consider it as a generic fantasy series, its pretty average. Some silly story elements which make no sense, some very bad accents, bad acting and very forced dialogue (as if they are trying to make it sound like Tolkien but really overdoing it). House of the Dragon is a hundred times better as a fantasy show so far.
Christ, this must be terrible then!

Seen the trailer, and the much vaunted CGI just doesn't work for me when it comes to landscapes. Hardly the only series to suffer from this, I thought it was terrible in the little I watched of Sandman. I wish they'd work more on making it look real, not just spectacular. Distant hills and mountains all look like they're lit like a film set.

Back