The Palm

Easy to get Ubers in Sunderland now so don't think station will ever be back to what it used to be. They haven't helped themselves like.
Funnily enough I got my first Uber from the palm last year. Use them every time now.
It was dead in there, the staff just sitting around the place, last February I think.

What’s happening at Seaburn/Roker is fantastic. I do, however, think that the City should look at a shuttle bus service simply covering three stops:

- outside of the stack
-outside of the Roker
- drop off at Keel Sq

Make it £1 a single and just run it on a Fri - Sunday. Given how bad taxis are, it will create a great link between the seafront and town.

Obviously that won’t help the Palm, but it should help protect a lot of the new bars in the town
A tram down the middle of Dame Dot from sheepfolds is the future 👍

The gym has been left to rot for the last 10 years, don't think I've seen a new machine for years, the steam room needs ripping out and redoing too. I should cancel my membership and join somewhere else but it's just habit now.
Aye it's on my doorstep and the pool/steam room are the only reasons I go instead of the other ones. I have a feeling fat mike is going to flog the building with all the development going on in and around that bridge

What’s happening at Seaburn/Roker is fantastic. I do, however, think that the City should look at a shuttle bus service simply covering three stops:

- outside of the stack
-outside of the Roker
- drop off at Keel Sq

Make it £1 a single and just run it on a Fri - Sunday. Given how bad taxis are, it will create a great link between the seafront and town.

Obviously that won’t help the Palm, but it should help protect a lot of the new bars in the town

It's a good idea but it'll require Government funding. The govt funded most of the train station and they've just forked out on a trial on a nightbus from Newcastle city centre to the airport so it'll require Stagecoach to ask the Government to see if they'll fund it as Bus services are operating in the red and the budget's being tightly squeezed amongst all public transport
Maybe after Covid, they’re back to being great now. Uber has changed the game.

Uber doesn't count as a public taxi service - Station, City, Steels, All star. They're absolutely horrendous. 1 hour wait after 6pm average, 2 hours after midnight 3 hours after 3am. Average key word so mine came in 15 minutes doesn't count.

Last edited:
Maybe after Covid, they’re back to being great now. Uber has changed the game.
Nee good if you want to book in advance though.

Needed to pre-book a few weeks ago. Station was £7 or sumat, Uber was £30. Think they inflate the price for pre-bookings? Anyhow, did Station & it turned up, despite them dropping me in it previously when the app said I’d cancelled. Was standing at my window waiting for it.

Nee good if you want to book in advance though.

Needed to pre-book a few weeks ago. Station was £7 or sumat, Uber was £30. Think they inflate the price for pre-bookings? Anyhow, did Station & it turned up, despite them dropping me in it previously when the app said I’d cancelled. Was standing at my window waiting for it.
Booked a taxi in advance other month with station for 8 in morning. No sign after 30 mins. Rang them and was told waiting for a car to clear . I asked how long and he said didn’t know and booking in advance didn’t guarantee you a taxi. So what’s the point? I use that nearby app now. Drivers barely speak English and you have to direct them to where you’re going but generally reliable. Station are crap these days.

Booked a taxi in advance other month with station for 8 in morning. No sign after 30 mins. Rang them and was told waiting for a car to clear . I asked how long and he said didn’t know and booking in advance didn’t guarantee you a taxi. So what’s the point? I use that nearby app now. Drivers barely speak English and you have to direct them to where you’re going but generally reliable. Station are crap these days.
Just downloaded that the other day. Can’t remember why, but I’ll use that now.

That’s terrible that pre booking doesn’t guarantee like 😂

Last year, station left my wife and her friends in the middle of nowhere, despite having booked the taxi in advance. When I rang to complain, I got the same bullshit.

Back