The Palm

It was lovely as Liberty Browns, we used to go quite a bit, even spent Christmas Day there. But once they put that palm fence thing around the front I always thought it looked a bit of a mess from outside. Nice enough once inside mind. Only went once when it was The Palm. Shame if it's closed.

One of me best mates was scheduled to get married there in August and they cancelled their wedding on them about two months ago, citing it needed structural repairs. If this is true that must’ve been bullshit. They’ve ended up with an alright result like getting married at one of their other venues instead down Darlington which probably looks nicer.

When I used to briefly live through Redhouse with my lass I used to go down every now and then because we could walk and it was always a canny venue I thought with all them bars together, albeit a strange location.
That's a canny steep walk back home!

But once you were in you could literally be in any city centre. Always seemed like a more upmarket bar but in reality it just attracted the dealers from castletown and southwick🤣

It was nowt like a city centre bar tbf. It was literally a pub and a microclub.

It was either ya staying until the last busses at 11:30 or ya waiting well over an hour for a taxi or ya walking over the spire down past the gala bingo then past Hylton Road retail park into Town for ya next drink

Neither which is desirable. Atleast Stack has Promenade Poetic and Queen Vic on the way if ya walking.

Taxi availability will have killed it ; incredible the difference before & after Covid.

I’d have went and just got one without a second thought before the pandemic, afterwards, I’d have known I’d probably have to walk for miles to get home.

They need to put their rates up, pay more and attract more drivers.

Taxi availability will have killed it ; incredible the difference before & after Covid.

I’d have went and just got one without a second thought before the pandemic, afterwards, I’d have known I’d probably have to walk for miles to get home.

They need to put their rates up, pay more and attract more drivers.
Easy to get Ubers in Sunderland now so don't think station will ever be back to what it used to be. They haven't helped themselves like.

Easy to get Ubers in Sunderland now so don't think station will ever be back to what it used to be. They haven't helped themselves like.
Good that Ubers available, I’ve moved away last year so don’t know the craic but it was terrible before I left around January last year - had to basically count on possibility you couldn’t get a lift home and plan accordingly

Good that Ubers available, I’ve moved away last year so don’t know the craic but it was terrible before I left around January last year - had to basically count on possibility you couldn’t get a lift home and plan accordingly
It's only recently I've been able to get them from my house in DH5. The dynamic pricing can be a nightmare mind.

It was nowt like a city centre bar tbf. It was literally a pub and a microclub.

It was either ya staying until the last busses at 11:30 or ya waiting well over an hour for a taxi or ya walking over the spire down past the gala bingo then past Hylton Road retail park into Town for ya next drink

Neither which is desirable. Atleast Stack has Promenade Poetic and Queen Vic on the way if ya walking.
When it was new and it was busy you could of been in any pub in any city centre.
N
Was there a TGI Friday there at one time?
Or am I imagining that?
Nah it started off as Quincys, then old Orleans, Liberty Browns then Palm
Stealing a living from Sunderland taxi drivers, hell on.
In our case it's their own fault, one of them dropped us in it one night and fobbed us off on the phone when we rang. Got sick of waiting after 1 /2 hours so got an Uber and it was there in 10 minutes, the other taxi never even turned up at all. Don't know how true but I'm told the taxi firm prioritise a certain app over the people that just ring up and there calls are outsourced to india

Last edited:
Permanently closed apparently. Anybody heard anything?

Was gonna go down tomorrow to celebrate our wedding anniversary as that's where we got married last year.

Won't be the same sitting in the car park.
had the worst mojitos and food there with missus bald. TBF served by local kids with minimal training. As with all business that struggle provide poor service pay the price.

Back